Should Percy still be returning kicks?

Rob12

Reaction score
I absolutely think he should be, but the point of this thread is to settle a debate.

One side says he is too valuable (and fragile) to be returning kicks. Without him, we do not possess a #1 wide receiver. The injury risk for Harvin is too great on special teams.

My stance is that he's a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. He's been returning kicks for his entire career and to my knowledge, has never been hurt returning kicks (last year's setback withstanding, as I believe he was rushed back anyways). I told him that if Percy is the best option to return kicks, Pete will have him returning kicks. He replied, "So if Russell was your best returner, would he be returning kicks?" Obviously not.

I'm too tired to add more to the debate, but I was going to see what you guys thought.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Absolutely he should still be returning kicks. He might be lucky to only return 1 or 2 each game. I believe teams will be kicking short like SD did....even after Percy fumbled. That shows the elite talent & threat he has back there.

Since short kick-offs might be the new way of keeping it away from Percy I think we will need to change our back line blockers to faster guys like Baldwin, Walters, or Kearse....I believe Luke WIllson caught 2 of the kickoffs but he is not a threat on returns.

Go Hawks!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Is this what it has come to? Every time someone makes ONE mistake, it equals a quick overreaction? ugh.
They flat out said his last lost fumble was 2011. Yeah, let's bench one of the best players in football :roll:

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Did you see that one kick where SD kicked the ball out of bounds so that Harvin wouldn't be able to return it? The Harvin effect.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3pzhsow6 said:
Is this what it has come to? Every time someone makes ONE mistake, it equals a quick overreaction? ugh.
They flat out said his last lost fumble was 2011. Yeah, let's bench one of the best players in football :roll:

I hope you actually read my post and aren't assuming that I am saying he shouldn't be returning kicks.

The one who said he shouldn't is a fan of a different team and I had a debate with him on Facebook. I wanted to bring it here to see what .NET thought.

dusktreader

Reaction score
There's no debate here. Percy is one of the best in the league on a team that depends on explosive special teams play. </thread>

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hear ya Rob, not saying you are thinking he shouldn't. Just in general, seems like more and more, every little thing = panic in a lot of people. It is what it is.

getnasty

Reaction score
As long as Percy stays back there Luke Willson will be returning a lot of kicks to the 35 yard line.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
No question, Yes he should be back there. Dude can change a game in a flash. If teams kick short all year, then the Hawks operate from great field position. A Win Win situation.

Latest posts