Not open for further replies.

Cartire

Reaction score
I keep reading all these threads.

Doom and gloom
Bevell blaming
Overlooking

Yada yada yada

Honestly, the biggest factor was heat. I was there. I felt it. I almost died in it.

I understand that SD played in the same heat. And it was unusually high for even SD standards. But it was the biggest factor.

-Our guys were not acclimated to it. It was noticeable from the beginning. It was noticeable during warm ups. You could just see how slow they were moving. Cuts were delayed. Reactions were delayed. It was very noticeable.
-SD decided to wear whites 4 days ago. We received an email from SD PR 4 days ago informing every fan that they would be going whites instead of their normal blue for a "White Hot Game". The decision was obvious. Playing in dark blues would be a disadvantage with the upcoming forecast.
-it was so hot, that the game was no longer about skill and talent, and more about just being conditioned for the opportunities. Our guys were not conditioned for 115+. Yes, they could still compete, but they would never hit peak level play because of this.

Honestly. SD played well. But play this same game at 20 degrees cooler, and it's a completely different game.

Rob12

Reaction score
I believe you're right, but I hate that it is an excuse. We got outplayed.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Cartire":3o4uwdht said:

Doom and gloom
Bevell blaming
Overlooking

Yada yada yada

Honestly, the biggest factor was heat. I was there. I felt it. I almost died in it.

I understand that SD played in the same heat. And it was unusually high for even SD standards. But it was the biggest factor.

-Our guys were not acclimated to it. It was noticeable from the beginning.
Jesus. It's not an excuse for anything, and how much it affects you is more mental/psychosomatic than anything else. Ever wonder how people in cold winter climates can wear t-shirts and shorts and barbecue outside in spring when it's 50 degrees out, but native southern Californians wear parkas, mittens, and scarfs in that temperature? You don't think they actually develop some magical skin covering or enzyme that makes the weather affect them less, do you? It affected some guys way more than others, and most of the ones affected by it most negatively, it didn't have to. The actual temperature also never got even close to 115 degrees.

-Signed, someone who has lived in Phoenix, Miami, Wisconsin, and Seattle.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The thing is... if you go back to last year to the Panther and Texans games... you really can't say heat wasn't a factor... he Seahawks looked sluggish and winded in those games of 90+ heat and 100+ field tempature. The SD game was worst.

And while it affects both sides... its kind of like Denver plays better @ Denver in high altitude compared to most other teams or dome team/warm weather teams can get affected by the cold.

Chargers were more acclimated to the heat, Seahawks were not... the heat affected both teams but the Seahawks had the bigger handicap.

But it was just one part of the loss.

ringless

Reaction score
Then I have a question...

Do you guys win because of the rain?

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
The heat was a factor, period. It affected us more than them. I live about three minutes from the Q and it has been a hot a$$, humid summer once you get a couple of miles inland. Living in it and preparing in it is one thing, arriving to it obviously has its own effects.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ax488f0 said:
ringless":1ax488f0 said:
Then I have a question...

Do you guys win because of the rain?
+1

You win the thread.

No, not even.

Seahawks don't practice in the rain... if it rains they take it inside of the VMAC. Not the same handicap at all.

TwilightError

Reaction score
It probably was the heat. A nice homefield advantage for the Chargers. Respect for being able to use it to their advantage, we all know how great it is to have a homefield advantage.

kearly

Reaction score
Field conditions are a part of home field advantage.

You want to beat Seattle, you better play your best and get some good breaks. The Chargers played outstanding and got the breaks they needed. They were fortunate, but you have to respect what they did.

cesame

Reaction score
Rivers avoiding the rush by stepping up in the pocket and throwing some absolute dimes impressed me the most

We got beat by a top 5 QB today. Rivers was just that good.

Smoke

Reaction score
The heat was a factor, period. You could see the Defense was gassed, and a step slower all game.

That said, This is following a preseason trend of Looking Mortal away from home, and Looking like the WORLD CHAMPIONS at home. I am curious to see if this is going to be a problem this year.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I don't think we'll have more difficulties this year on the road. Cartire said it and I completely agree: It was the heat! It was obvious from the beginning. Sluggish and slow to react. One step behind, which is why they ended up spending 40+ minutes on the field. Bevel didn't call his best game either. We're bound to lay an egg sometime; let's get it out of the way early.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":22wz3qf3 said:
Cartire":22wz3qf3 said:

Doom and gloom
Bevell blaming
Overlooking

Yada yada yada

Jesus. It's not an excuse for anything, and how much it affects you is more mental/psychosomatic than anything else. Ever wonder how people in cold winter climates can wear t-shirts and shorts and barbecue outside in spring when it's 50 degrees out, but native southern Californians wear parkas, mittens, and scarfs in that temperature? You don't think they actually develop some magical skin covering or enzyme that makes the weather affect them less, do you? It affected some guys way more than others, and most of the ones affected by it most negatively, it didn't have to. The actual temperature also never got even close to 115 degrees.

I may be wrong, but aren't the same person that argues that time zones have zero effect on the human body and that it is all mental? Again, I could be wrong.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2jm6f8j7 said:
Cartire":2jm6f8j7 said:

Doom and gloom
Bevell blaming
Overlooking

Yada yada yada

I may be wrong, but aren't the same person that argues that time zones have zero effect on the human body and that it is all mental? Again, I could be wrong.

endzorn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":9x8qpr8v said:
Cartire":9x8qpr8v said:

Doom and gloom
Bevell blaming
Overlooking

Yada yada yada

Heat is a factor. I work in the oil field on one of the most physical jobs a person can do. I was also in an infantry unit in the army and worked in ridiculous heat. When you are putting in high effort in that heat it is absolutely laughable to suggest the effect is only mental. Your body can adapt over a period of days and weeks, but even then if you do too much you're actually putting yourself in danger. I've seen many, many, many people go down with anything from heat exhaustion to heat stroke. The latter is a scary deal. San Diego took steps to deal with it and Pete Carroll said Seattle did nothing. It showed. Give San Diego a lot of credit for being better prepared.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Certainly a factor but not the only one.

If I was to pick out one moment out of the whole game when I thought 'game over', it was Bruce's penalty on rivers. Bruce cost us the game today. A bonehead play that left our D demoralized and subject to further exhaustion, and our O with too much to do in too little time.

Status
Not open for further replies.