Our D

Chawks1

Reaction score
I'm frustrated with a lot that happened against SD. Seems like a perfect storm, 120 degree heat, home opener for SD, inexperienced nickel back vs a top QB, untimely penalties on D after holding SD on 3rd downs, fumble by PH11 on a kickoff, LOB cramping up, our offense scored but too quickly as it didn't give our D time to recover, LB mismatches on Anotonio Gates in Red Zone.....

But the one thing I kept waiting for was for our D to step up and create a turnover that would have changed the momentum. That is key to victories on the road and something our team takes great pride in.

Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce our way. I believe SD had 3 fumbles and we just couldn't get on them. If the ball bounces differently I think we take this game.

Go Hawks!

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Chawks1":jze13njz said:
I'm frustrated with a lot that happened against SD. Seems like a perfect storm, 120 degree heat, home opener for SD, inexperienced nickel back vs a top QB, untimely penalties on D after holding SD on 3rd downs, fumble by PH11 on a kickoff, LOB cramping up, our offense scored but too quickly as it didn't give our D time to recover, LB mismatches on Anotonio Gates in Red Zone.....

But the one thing I kept waiting for was for our D to step up and create a turnover that would have changed the momentum. That is key to victories on the road and something our team takes great pride in.

Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce our way. I believe SD had 3 fumbles and we just couldn't get on them. If the ball bounces differently I think we take this game.

Go Hawks!

I commented to my daughter (my fellow 'Hawks fan in the family who lives down in Whiner country) after last week's game that it was strange that our secondary seemed to me to be the weak spot on the team in the Packers game...mostly by comparison to what they were last year...they weren't playing BADLY, just not to their usual level.

Unfortunately they looked worse this week. Maybe this will be the wakeup call that will get them back to heir norm.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
The hawks didn't prepare for the Heat, Chargers did. The hawks put out a great effort. Their tiight end Gates killed us and I can't remember the last time that happened. Kam Chancellor had a tough game. Our linebackers are not in great shape yet. To them this is still preseason.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The LOB rule seems to be affecting them. They're not playing as aggressively. They're not playing as much press coverage. Even the commentators remarked how they were playing off the line. That may be something we'll just have to get used to. But something that definitely needs fixed is that they're not tackling. That has to be addressed this week. I'm sure Pete knows this and will fix it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Our defensive schemes are predicated on our front four disrupting and getting pressure without help. If they can do that? Then the SB happens............if they can't? Then you get what we saw yesterday.

Our Tall long LB's and DB's can't stay with receivers in routes or in zone coverage when a really good QB is given that much time to throw.

It's what we've been saying all off season and preseason, all these new guys are going to have to step up for our defense to be dominant like last year...............and yesterday guys like Schofield, Hill, Marsh, Shead, Burley, Johnson, Irvin, etc played poorly.

blkhwk

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":t348hpef said:
The hawks didn't prepare for the Heat, Chargers did. The hawks put out a great effort. Their tiight end Gates killed us and I can't remember the last time that happened. Kam Chancellor had a tough game. Our linebackers are not in great shape yet. To them this is still preseason.

Yes, Smith, Wagner, Chancellor, Irvin and Okung had little to no pre-season and it showed big time Sunday.

160/284 yds passing to backs and TE's

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Lots of hand wringing here.

Ultimately San Diego had a great game plan, and outplayed our team yesterday. The rules are the same for all teams. These bad games happen and with each loss there are some lessons. The bad penalties and untimely turnovers can be worked on.The 3rd down problem continues as the Hawks can't seem to get off the field reliably. With luck this will change. I 'm not as sure our OLine woes will get better however. At present Okung looks to me to be replaceable when his contract expires. Britt's problems will improve with experience, he still has a long way to go though.

With luck this loss didn't hurt too bad for the division, though AZ looks to be the real divisional rival this season.

Lots of teachable moments to be taken from this game. Notwithstanding the huge disparity in terms of TOP the team was w/in striking distance up to close to the end of the game. Just couldn't get it done.

The team will be very focused this week to solve many of the problems.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
When you play in the rainy, cold city of Seattle It's a bit hard to prepare for the heat. The heat got the best of the players, and the Chargers flat out won.