Oline was atrocious..... once again

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Everything happened and we still had the ball twice in the fourth qtr down by 6.

Couldn't give RW any time. Both tackles got taken to school.

Largent80

Reaction score
Don't leave Unger out of this. He is a veteran pro-bowl center that let a guy go untouched for a huge sack. Hard to blame the offense though. They scored 3 td's in 17 minutes of TOP.

The finger point directly at our LB's for yesterdays loss. Oh, and it was hot. unless you are Roland (who wasn't there) then it was a dry heat with a sea breeze.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Once again? We ran for over 200 yards last week?

This is not the week to criticize the O-line, they were barely on the field, which hurts flow and continuity of blocking. This loss is squarely on one unit, and one unit only............the D.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I think it's perfectly fair to call out the OL. They weren't good yesterday, and haven't been great in pass-pro this year. Unger doesn't really surprise me, as I personally think he's a average center and one of the more overrated players on our team (what will his excuse be this year, given that he's healthy?). Let me be clear, I don't think he's terrible, just not as good as we wish he was.

But Okung? Isn't this a contract year for him? I don't know if continuous injury is catching up or he's still not in game shape, but that dude needs to step up, too.

It's only one game, and the D definitely didn't do its job well enough, but we were in a position to win in the 4th and our O flat our pooped the bed. Much of that is on the OL.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
All valid points, theres plenty of blame to go around and that was truly a team loss.

But what im getting at is after all the crap, all the bad D. We got two stops in the fourth and put the ball in RW's hands down by 6............and he couldn't get it done....mostly because Okung looked like a grade schooler getting beaten by the geriatric dwight freeney. And Britt looked every bit the rookie he is getting beat by whatever body was going against him.

I expect this offense to win the game when given the ball down by less then a td......

mjwhitay

Reaction score
7 yards a play is pretty damn good. My goodness, the oline was not attrocious. They ran 40 plays gained 280 yards, spent entire quarters on the sidelines, and still managed to score 3 TDs. This is definitely not on the O-Line and once again is a terrible tag line since they were dominant 10 days ago.

mikeak

Reaction score
mjwhitay":1m80bfcs said:
7 yards a play is pretty damn good. My goodness, the oline was not attrocious. They ran 40 plays gained 280 yards, spent entire quarters on the sidelines, and still managed to score 3 TDs. This is definitely not on the O-Line and once again is a terrible tag line since they were dominant 10 days ago.

So RW wasn't under constant pressure?

The Jet Sweeps didn't work because of lack of holding up pressure so they broke right through and could interrupt them at least twice that I saw where just one little bit of blocking would have changed things?

Don't confuse the somewhat success of the offense with the fact that the O-line did not hold up at all yesterday

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
mjwhitay":2dp837oi said:

Dude did you not read the post? The final two drives when they had the opportunity to you know win the freaking game. They got their asses handed to them.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":22d4ay32 said:
mjwhitay":22d4ay32 said:

The Jet Sweeps didn't work because of lack of holding up pressure so they broke right through and could interrupt them at least twice that I saw where just one little bit of blocking would have changed things?

Don't confuse the somewhat success of the offense with the fact that the O-line did not hold up at all yesterday

It's not just the Oline that is responsible for blocks though. I saw Miller and Willson both get beat pretty bad when left to block. RB too are responsible for picking up blitzers at times, so there is that, but as poor as our protection was today if the defense makes a few stops during this game we win it.

kpak76

Reaction score
mikeak":3d9ml4t9 said:
mjwhitay":3d9ml4t9 said:

The Jet sweep stop was from a CB. It was one of our WR that failed on that block, I think it was Baldwin. The OL didn't play that bad yesterday. There did seem to be some confusion along the OL yesterday, but I don't think its anything that cant be corrected.

A

Anonymous

We were out-coached and out-played yesterday.

I really don't feel too bad about the O-line, all things considered.

mikeak

Reaction score
kpak76":xh84d9dm said:
mikeak":xh84d9dm said:
mjwhitay":xh84d9dm said:

The Jet sweep stop was from a CB. It was one of our WR that failed on that block, I think it was Baldwin. The OL didn't play that bad yesterday. There did seem to be some confusion along the OL yesterday, but I don't think its anything that cant be corrected.

You are correct in regards to the second jet swep that was busted on the side. THink it was Kearse that didn't hold up

The first one thought. RW handed the ball over and there was a SD guy right there. I mean he went when the ball went and went straight up the middle - pretty sure it isn't a WR that is supposed to fill that gap up the middle.....

Harvin ended up having to take a bigger "circle" and then got busted on the outside

It was indicative of the time that RW had yesterday.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2we6v3jn said:

This is not the week to criticize the O-line, they were barely on the field, which hurts flow and continuity of blocking. This loss is squarely on one unit, and one unit only............the D.

I agree most of the issue was the D, but the o-line was bad and that includes out TE, the jet sweep was blown up due to bad blocking by miller.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MysterMatt":jgjoklaw said:
I think it's perfectly fair to call out the OL. They weren't good yesterday, and haven't been great in pass-pro this year. Unger doesn't really surprise me, as I personally think he's a average center and one of the more overrated players on our team (what will his excuse be this year, given that he's healthy?). Let me be clear, I don't think he's terrible, just not as good as we wish he was.

But Okung? Isn't this a contract year for him? I don't know if continuous injury is catching up or he's still not in game shape, but that dude needs to step up, too.

It's only one game, and the D definitely didn't do its job well enough, but we were in a position to win in the 4th and our O flat our pooped the bed. Much of that is on the OL.

This. Add in an untimely false start and pressure at the worst times; but our offense didn't sustain drives like they needed to.

I wrote in the GDF: "we're not going to get fresher in the 2nd half, it's only going to get worse". We cleaned some stuff up in the 2nd half, but we still weren't able to get the Chargers off the field, and they started getting chunk plays as our guys got tired.

Anthony!

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3tsqgdpb said:
All valid points, theres plenty of blame to go around and that was truly a team loss.

But what im getting at is after all the crap, all the bad D. We got two stops in the fourth and put the ball in RW's hands down by 6............and he couldn't get it done....mostly because Okung looked like a grade schooler getting beaten by the geriatric dwight freeney. And Britt looked every bit the rookie he is getting beat by whatever body was going against him.

I expect this offense to win the game when given the ball down by less then a td......

Do not forget the drop passes, Rw did all he could but when he gets less than 3 seconds and his WRs drop passes there is not much he can do.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":135evfod said:
Sgt. Largent":135evfod said:

I agree most of the issue was the D, but the o-line was bad and that includes out TE, the jet sweep was blown up due to bad blocking by miller.

The jet sweep was blown up because the Chargers recognized it, and Baldwin whiffed on his block. Not the O-Line's fault.

That play was one where Russell has to recognize that the defense knows what's coming and change the play, or keep the ball himself and run the other way for 10 yards.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Largent80":2uks0ws8 said:
Oh, and it was hot. unless you are Roland (who wasn't there) then it was a dry heat with a sea breeze.
I love how you're running around lying about what I've said. It was hot, not triple-digits hot; and unless Chargers players were running around with air conditioners strapped to their backs, it affected them just as much as it affected us.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The O-line was no better or worse than anyone else.

Seems strange though to call them out on a day where we chose not to establish the run early, couldn't get a stop on defense and committed bonehead penalties.

Do people expect an offensive line that offers a flawless pocket every week? It's not going to happen.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3q7vmxvm said:
Anthony!":3q7vmxvm said:
Sgt. Largent":3q7vmxvm said:

The jet sweep was blown up because the Chargers recognized it, and Baldwin whiffed on his block. Not the O-Line's fault.

That play was one where Russell has to recognize that the defense knows what's coming and change the play, or keep the ball himself and run the other way for 10 yards.

R-I-G-H-T it was all Rws fault, you have go to be kidding me. Please get a clue. Rw has his back to were Harvin is going he cannot see that, it was a Jet sweep not an option.

Anthony!

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2oyb5icn said:
The O-line was no better or worse than anyone else.

Seems strange though to call them out on a day where we chose not to establish the run early, couldn't get a stop on defense and committed bonehead penalties.

Do people expect an offensive line that offers a flawless pocket every week? It's not going to happen.

No but we do expect them to give Rw time on at least 70% of the pays which they did not. And some of it was pathetic people coming in untouched