Arbitrary penalty calls

Hawks46

Reaction score
This isn't a homer post, so bear with me (I know by the title that usually this is the way it goes).

I honestly think the NFL is deemphisizing Offensive Holding. I saw it in the GB game, and again this game. Look at Rivers' 2nd TD pass to Gates, where Gates is bracketed by two LBers. Bennett actually gets to Rivers and slaps the ball. Rivers slides to the inside, where Bennett is unable to follow because the RT is behind Bennett, grabbing his jersey and shoulder pads. Dude's arms are fully extended and grabbing a hold of Bennett.

There's an official back there. Specifically to watch the lines, but I theorize now they stare down the QB and watch for roughing penalties. It's not hard to see, it was egregious.

I'll be the first guy to admit to mistakes, and I know the refs make em too. I've counted 6 ridiculously obvious holds that haven't been called. These are holds where the OLman is grabbing the DE/DL on the outside shoulder pads, grabbing pads on the outside shoulder (where it's VERY visible), grabbing jersey from behind, and straight up tackling guys.

I went to nfl.com and looked at 15 TD throws from different games, and I saw 3 egregious holds that I could've called in a game. These are teams I have no vested interest in.

So I'm not sure if they are not calling holding because they don't want to slow the game down...with all the secondary calls looking to be called, or if this is a stealth way to protect the QBs.

Stats geeks: is offensive holding down league wide from this year to last ? Just curious as to what you guys think, and if you've noticed it as well.

themunn

Reaction score
We will still have dozens of holding calls go against our offense this year. Without doubt.

nsport

Reaction score
I like the premise of the OP. It's really hard to equate intention with stat - but I definitely get the point. He could easily be rewarding Rivers for his great effort - but I hope that there is no bias when making a call like that. A hold is a hold, especially when the hold contributes in the favor of the holder. The holding call is one of the most destructive calls in the game... maybe that's why they don't call them as much?

The ones that drive me even battier are the phantom holds.

For defensive holding / illegal contact down field, I am hearing of a groundswell of support to not make it an automatic first down. Just enforce the 5 yards and replay the down. If the 5 yards results in a first down, so be it. I think that would add a lot of action to the game (better press and man coverage, payoffs on pick plays, more competition in match-ups.)

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
Oh yea, I'm not taking anything away from Rivers. He played out of his mind.

There were times when he looked like he was shot putting the ball and it dropped perfectly. He was dropping dimes all day, but he's also not the most mobile QB. When our guys get engaged, they were getting good initial pressure, but then they have some 330 lb guy hanging on them, so they can't correct their course and finish the QB. Rivers is a master at sliding in the pocket, but there's also a reason he looked like he was tossing guys off of him.

This isn't about the Seahawks as much as just the lack of holding calls I"ve seen so far. It's almost like if there was a TD thrown, they don't want to call it back.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The NFL will be reluctant to emphasize anything that will slow down Offenses and reduce scoring.

We will never see an emphasis on Offensive holding.

But I do agree that there are blatantly obvious holds that are not called in every game against every team. This is probably the one area that NEEDS to be emphasized by officials in fairness to the game of football—much more so than Defensive holding—but like I said, it never will be.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
It would seem to go along with what the NFL wants, more offense, more points.

Let the o-line hold a little more, give the QB a little more time, enforce defensive holding and defensive pass interference more.

Is it happening? Maybe. I don't know. :Dunno:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I remember watching the replay on that play where Hill tackled Rivers and he tried to throw it away, in the background of that you could see Irvin being bear hugged and Bennett also being held. I think there has definitely been an increase in the number of offensive holding calls that are ignored.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Hawks46":1wtrolqn said:
Oh yea, I'm not taking anything away from Rivers. He played out of his mind.

There were times when he looked like he was shot putting the ball and it dropped perfectly. He was dropping dimes all day, but he's also not the most mobile QB. When our guys get engaged, they were getting good initial pressure, but then they have some 330 lb guy hanging on them, so they can't correct their course and finish the QB. Rivers is a master at sliding in the pocket, but there's also a reason he looked like he was tossing guys off of him.

This isn't about the Seahawks as much as just the lack of holding calls I"ve seen so far. It's almost like if there was a TD thrown, they don't want to call it back.
He reminded me so much of Favre yesterday, almost looked like he was throwing the ball away and somehow ended up to be a perfect pass to Gates for a TD and his scrambling was almost painful to watch but he was able to get just enough.