4th quarter, down by 9, 16 seconds left..

2_0_6

Reaction score
Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't believe that Pete was still having the offense line up and run plays instead of taking a knee. There were two plays that we got off, and on the first Russell got nailed right after he threw. Im not really sure what they were thinking there.

I know Russell is special, but getting 9 points in 16 seconds from your own 20 is a bit of a stretch.

Anyone see what im talking about?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":384oakkx said:
kidhawk":384oakkx said:
Always Compete

This isn't Madden.

No it isn't, but it's Pete's core philosophy. It's part of the reason we are defending Super Bowl champion. When he says ALWAYS compete, he doesn't just mean when it's looking good, he seriously means always and our guys have bought into the system. You need a system and players buying into that system to be successful in the NFL.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Yeah I questioned it too. Your guys were cramping up and worn out. They battled all game. Take a knee. Get them inside. No logic in risking an injury to anyone. Long season. Live to fight another day.

OP
OP
2_0_6

2_0_6

Reaction score
I get the Always Compete mantra, but the risk outweighed the reward tenfold by doing this.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":4nlbjtys said:
I get the Always Compete mantra, but the risk outweighed the reward tenfold by doing this.

we left the field with zero injuries for the entire game, so I'm guessing the risk wasn't quite as great as you might believe it to be. And I also believe that you underestimate the importance of sticking within your system at all times. If you tell players you ALWAYS compete and then tell them to give up, you are sending a mixed message. When you send a mixed message, you run an even higher risk of players not fully buying into the system and then you don't see the kind of success you are seeing.

OP
OP
2_0_6

2_0_6

Reaction score
kidhawk":1f0ww5b0 said:
Hawk_Nation":1f0ww5b0 said:

we left the field with zero injuries for the entire game, so I'm guessing the risk wasn't quite as great as you might believe it to be. And I also believe that you underestimate the importance of sticking within your system at all times. If you tell players you ALWAYS compete and then tell them to give up, you are sending a mixed message. When you send a mixed message, you run an even higher risk of players not fully buying into the system and then you don't see the kind of success you are seeing.

Like letting Lynch go to the locker room 2 minutes early?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2al1yw5p said:
kidhawk":2al1yw5p said:
Hawk_Nation":2al1yw5p said:

Like letting Lynch go to the locker room 2 minutes early?

You mean the fact that he went in to the locker room to get his back worked on because it had tightened up on him? Is that what you are talking about?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Maybe the Hawks cared about their Competitive Games streak just like we did. If they could kick a FG they keep the streak alive.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3ce6c21d said:
Maybe the Hawks cared about their Competitive Games streak just like we did. If they could kick a FG they keep the streak alive.

The Mantra isn't always compete to lose within 7 points, the mantra is to do what gives us they best shot to win games.

I don't understand what people don't get here.

HawkWow

Reaction score
He may have been punishing the O-line. If that was the case..I like it. If not the case, I don't.

It doesn't matter 1st play of the game, last play or any play in between, players get hurt on any given play. I'd say next time he wants to engage in such antics (down by 9), TJack should be under center and not our FQB.

HawkWow

Reaction score
kidhawk":1igylg9s said:
HawkFan72":1igylg9s said:

The Mantra isn't always compete to lose within 7 points, the mantra is to do what gives us they best shot to win games.

I don't understand what people don't get here.

; ) nice.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
Is this post for real? You play to win the game, 16 seconds anything can happen! I think they conceded the end by throwing a couple trash time completions.

Imagine the headlines today if they take a knee there and quit. "Superbowl Champs tuck their tails between their legs and crawl to shady place." C'mon Man! Do you want to hear that all week? :pukeface:

OP
OP
2_0_6

2_0_6

Reaction score
dbsn2420":nz0t7bp4 said:
Is this post for real? You play to win the game, 16 seconds anything can happen! I think they conceded the end by throwing a couple trash time completions.

Imagine the headlines today if they take a knee there and quit. "Superbowl Champs tuck their tails between their legs and crawl to shady place." C'mon Man! Do you want to hear that all week? :pukeface:

Yes this post is for real. Cant think of many 9 point 4th quarter comebacks with 16 seconds left, no time outs, on your own 20.

Run the ball, eat the clock and get ready for the next game.

kearly

Reaction score
I want to say that I have seen a losing team take victory formation before to avoid injury on a meaningless play. I'm pretty sure that team wasn't a defending champ with a competition crazed HC though.

253hawk

Reaction score
Just because you might lose doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't finish strong.

NINEster

Reaction score
Rams took a knee in their first 49er game last year.

And it was at home too.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I saw Wilson take a pretty big hit on a play (the 2nd to last) in a game we could no longer win (there is no way any one on here still thought we could come up with 9 points in a few seconds with 0 timeouts), I think all the posts would be way different if we had lost our QB. I love our coach but there is a time to realize we are done competing and just accept the loss.

Latest posts