Last words about the SD game

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I've just got a few words to say, one,
•we were unprepared for all the natural elements
•we failed on numerous tackles and assignments
•we made a few foolish penalties
•we did not execute well enough several times

summary: anyone who doesn't know how our defense felt needs to put on a thick winter coat (simulate the padding) over that a 3x dark blue shirt and pants and get out on a 119° football field in the blazing hot midday sun with a dark helmet on (more insulation for your head) now run as fast as you can running into and pushing 225lbs 5-10 yards. Repeat. Again, Repeat Again -after 15 minutes. see how you feel. no excuses, but SD was in white. That's a huge difference, try it. We had a bad game and it was INTENSIFIED by blinding/blistering desert heat  :sherlock:

Seahawks1Fan

Reaction score
And here's the thing we all need to remember....

Despite all the horrible conditions that you described, despite losing the turnover battle and missed tackles and missed assignements (cough, cough, Gates...cough, cough) and our defense being totally exhausted from being on the field way more than they should have we STILL had the ball late in the game with a chance to win!!!

To me, that says so much about the talent and guts of this team. We played poorly in a lot of areas against a good team, in horrible conditions against a quarterback and tight end who were playing out of their minds and STILL had a chance to win at the end.

I know we lost but I'm not going to drive myself crazy with worry about this one.

It's Donkey week!!! :D

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Seahawks1Fan":39zp175k said:
...we STILL had the ball late in the game with a chance to win!!!

Yep. I honestly thought we'd see some magic, and put one more drive together and win it.

Largent80

Reaction score
A modern day warrior, mean mean stride, todays Tom Sawyer Mean mean Pride.

And also CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
A friend of mine got me a seat in the club. He officiates games in the area. If I got his terms correctly, they did a check on the field temperature the day before by lazer, and it was approx 135F. I may be off by 5 degrees, but think he said that. He knows Guns Hochuli and said that he met a lot of the officials at a camp prior to the high school football season started. Don Carey is one (mike carey's brother?). He named a dozen off.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Seahawks1Fan":z0u2t9uc said:
And here's the thing we all need to remember....

Despite all the horrible conditions that you described, despite losing the turnover battle and missed tackles and missed assignements (cough, cough, Gates...cough, cough) and our defense being totally exhausted from being on the field way more than they should have we STILL had the ball late in the game with a chance to win!!!

To me, that says so much about the talent and guts of this team. We played poorly in a lot of areas against a good team, in horrible conditions against a quarterback and tight end who were playing out of their minds and STILL had a chance to win at the end.

I know we lost but I'm not going to drive myself crazy with worry about this one.

It's Donkey week!!! :D

Well said.

Actually all posts here are on point!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Largent80":3pi2dvxy said:
A modern day warrior, mean mean stride, todays Tom Sawyer Mean mean Pride.
Ha, I just listened to that song last night. Love Rush.

DON'T YOU, ABSOLUT? :lol:

RiverDog

Reaction score
tom sawyer":cjt0bwwe said:
I've just got a few words to say, one,
•we were unprepared for all the natural elements
•we failed on numerous tackles and assignments
•we made a few foolish penalties
•we did not execute well enough several times

summary: anyone who doesn't know how our defense felt needs to put on a thick winter coat (simulate the padding) over that a 3x dark blue shirt and pants and get out on a 119° football field in the blazing hot midday sun with a dark helmet on (more insulation for your head) now run as fast as you can running into and pushing 225lbs 5-10 yards. Repeat. Again, Repeat Again -after 15 minutes. see how you feel. no excuses, but SD was in white. That's a huge difference, try it. We had a bad game and it was INTENSIFIED by blinding/blistering desert heat  :sherlock:

I honestly think there should have been some serious thought given to delaying this game by 4 or 5 hours. They were putting at risk the lives of not only players, but of 65,000 fans that had to sit in the direct sun for 3 hours. They delay games do to the threat of lightening, is the threat of heat stroke any less of a concern?

rastahawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":11fg8mkd said:
I honestly think there should have been some serious thought given to delaying this game by 4 or 5 hours. They were putting at risk the lives of not only players, but of 65,000 fans that had to sit in the direct sun for 3 hours. They delay games do to the threat of lightening, is the threat of heat stroke any less of a concern?

True dat. Kinda my thoughts when I saw a lot of younger kids suffering in it. There was a couple a few rows in front of us who had a baby for goodness sake.

They ran out of water at the concession stands. I stood in line for what seemed to be an eternity during half time to have them tell me that they were out of water. I was livid. A few Charger fans near me were chanting "Chargers" and I turned around and yelled at them, "Your stadium sucks! Your team sucks!". Repeatedly. That made them uncomfortable. Then everyone chanted "SEA - HAWKS". Awesome. Problem was that sucked all the energy out of me. I had no gas in the second half.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RiverDog":1ns0pxnl said:
They delay games do to the threat of lightening, is the threat of heat stroke any less of a concern?
Yes. It's not a concern at all. Properly hydrate yourself, DONE. By the way, for those that might point out that the stadium ran out of bottled water in the 3rd quarter or whatever it was, diet sodas are almost entirely water and MAY even hydrate you better than water does because they've got some sodium/electrolytes in them. (I don't know if it actually does or not, but you do need to replenish sodium not just water when sweating profusely over an extended period of time.)

Largent80

Reaction score
We took 2 large water bottles to the tailgate, also 4 smaller ones to take in. At the tailgate I made a wonderful concoction of strawberry puree and vodka with a TON of ice.

We drank all the water in the 2 big bottles and the drinks, sharing all the time with other 12's. We still ran out of water before halftime. Luckily in my area I got in line in the middle of the 2nd quarter and was able to get 3 more. We also took 2 wash clothes and put ice in them. This saved us, however, my wife still almost fainted from the heat.

We commented about changing the time as well, would have been way better for everyone, including the team.