Bittersweet Road Trip

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The trip to San Diego would be my first away game with some fellow .NET members and I learned of Les' passing right before leaving for the airport. Suddenly the weekend's fun and festivities took a back seat to the heartache I felt and the emotional blow. I arrived and met up with Ross (Vetamur) and his friends and our resident road warrior himself, Dave and his buddy Greg.

We headed out to Thrusters on Saturday night. Many 12's had already been at or still at Whiskey Girl prefunking. Met Seahawkfan80 who generously was buying us drinks and the party was under way. The running joke was that it looked like we were in Seattle the entire weekend and when we spotted the occasional Chargers fan we would say "Well that's odd!" or something to that effect. 12's were EVERYWHERE.

Ross' friends were very kind enough to let us hitch a ride with them as they had an SUV rental for the weekend. Dave, being the skinniest of the bunch had the designation of riding in the very back/trunk area so we started calling him TrunkHawk, lol! Dave was his usual fun, free-spirited self.

We decided to drive and park at the stadium, so getting a little bit of a later start than anticipated, we stopped off and grabbed prefunking essentials and made our way to the stadium. We ended up parking about a half mile from P2, and made our way over to P2. It was around noon. Rob (Largent80), Bart (Barthawk) among others were texting/calling to try to meet up but we never did find them. It was a sea of 12's. Pretty amazing! We spent most of the tailgate party looking for shade, drinking a lot of water in between the libations. It wasn't hot, it was HOTTER THAN HELL!

It was crazy trying to get in to the stadium as it seemed to be a mob of hundreds trying to funnel down to one lane and the security were taking their time with their wands and checking fans. Our seats were in the nosebleeds and the only refuge from the blazing Sun and temps was the concourse or tunnels which I spent a lot of time in. It was quite literally almost unbearable. The sunscreen was melting off my face and stinging my eyes. I drank no less than 4 overpriced bottles of water during the game.

The stadium is a dump, holy cow. Really drives home the quality and beautiful stadium we 12's can be proud of to call home.

With Les firmly on my mind, with the ridiculous temperatures, a Seahawks team that simply did not resemble the Championship team we have grown accustomed to, it just had this weird, sad vibe.

One quick note about the temps. Anybody who wants to think the heat did not play a significant factor in how we performed is fooling only themselves. Having said that, the Chargers were the ones who Earned Everything and Always Competed for 60 minutes, controlling literally 40 of those minutes. Our players were not prepared for that kind of heat and it showed. Kudos to the Chargers who beat us fair and square.

Count me in the group who thinks this loss was a good thing. A little humility isn't a bad thing, especially early in the season. We are not invincible. We are going to get every opponent's best shot. For the Chargers, the played the game like this was their Super Bowl. It probably was.

The Broncos will be the first casualty of our loss. They will be pissed off, focused and determined not to have a back-to-back performance like that, especially at home.

After the game Dave, Greg and I ended up at Whiskey Girl for a bit drowning our sorrows and praying for a Bears win to spoil the 49ers new stadium opener. We were rewarded with a 4 turnover performance from Kaep. His facial expression was a healing elixir to our wounds.

My message to the group is that while we couldn't control the outcome of the game, we most certainly could control having a good time the rest of the trip, and that we did.

We toasted to Les, and to the bonds of friendship that have been forged through this site, that will last a lifetime. For it was Ross that even made this trip possible for me. Without him, I would not have been able to make it due to my wife's recent layoff at Microsoft. His generosity underscores the special community and bond that was such a big part of Les' life.

Win or lose, nothing can replace good memories, good friendships. These, like Les, will endure in our hearts and memories forever.

Attachments

• dave.jpg
    dave.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,219
  • group.jpg
    group.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,219
  • tailgate.jpg
    tailgate.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 1,219

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":1vhugmme said:
The trip to San Diego would be my first away game with some fellow .NET members and I learned of Les' passing right before leaving for the airport. Suddenly the weekend's fun and festivities took a back seat to the heartache I felt and the emotional blow. I arrived and met up with Ross (Vetamur) and his friends and our resident road warrior himself, Dave and his buddy Greg.

We headed out to Thrusters on Saturday night. Many 12's had already been at or still at Whiskey Girl prefunking. Met Seahawkfan80 who generously was buying us drinks and the party was under way. The running joke was that it looked like we were in Seattle the entire weekend and when we spotted the occasional Chargers fan we would say "Well that's odd!" or something to that effect. 12's were EVERYWHERE.

Ross' friends were very kind enough to let us hitch a ride with them as they had an SUV rental for the weekend. Dave, being the skinniest of the bunch had the designation of riding in the very back/trunk area so we started calling him TrunkHawk, lol! Dave was his usual fun, free-spirited self.

We decided to drive and park at the stadium, so getting a little bit of a later start than anticipated, we stopped off and grabbed prefunking essentials and made our way to the stadium. We ended up parking about a half mile from P2, and made our way over to P2. It was around noon. Rob (Largent80), Bart (Barthawk) among others were texting/calling to try to meet up but we never did find them. It was a sea of 12's. Pretty amazing! We spent most of the tailgate party looking for shade, drinking a lot of water in between the libations. It wasn't hot, it was HOTTER THAN HELL!

It was crazy trying to get in to the stadium as it seemed to be a mob of hundreds trying to funnel down to one lane and the security were taking their time with their wands and checking fans. Our seats were in the nosebleeds and the only refuge from the blazing Sun and temps was the concourse or tunnels which I spent a lot of time in. It was quite literally almost unbearable. The sunscreen was melting off my face and stinging my eyes. I drank no less than 4 overpriced bottles of water during the game.

The stadium is a dump, holy cow. Really drives home the quality and beautiful stadium we 12's can be proud of to call home.

With Les firmly on my mind, with the ridiculous temperatures, a Seahawks team that simply did not resemble the Championship team we have grown accustomed to, it just had this weird, sad vibe.

One quick note about the temps. Anybody who wants to think the heat did not play a significant factor in how we performed is fooling only themselves. Having said that, the Chargers were the ones who Earned Everything and Always Competed for 60 minutes, controlling literally 40 of those minutes. Our players were not prepared for that kind of heat and it showed. Kudos to the Chargers who beat us fair and square.

Count me in the group who thinks this loss was a good thing. A little humility isn't a bad thing, especially early in the season. We are not invincible. We are going to get every opponent's best shot. For the Chargers, the played the game like this was their Super Bowl. It probably was.

The Broncos will be the first casualty of our loss. They will be pissed off, focused and determined not to have a back-to-back performance like that, especially at home.

After the game Dave, Greg and I ended up at Whiskey Girl for a bit drowning our sorrows and praying for a Bears win to spoil the 49ers new stadium opener. We were rewarded with a 4 turnover performance from Kaep. His facial expression was a healing elixir to our wounds.

My message to the group is that while we couldn't control the outcome of the game, we most certainly could control having a good time the rest of the trip, and that we did.

We toasted to Les, and to the bonds of friendship that have been forged through this site, that will last a lifetime. For it was Ross that even made this trip possible for me. Without him, I would not have been able to make it due to my wife's recent layoff at Microsoft. His generosity underscores the special community and bond that was such a big part of Les' life.

Win or lose, nothing can replace good memories, good friendships. These, like Les, will endure in our hearts and memories forever.

:thirishdrinkers:

Thanks for posting this. Great read

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I find this so ironic that after years of making fun of the real official road trip crew (Bestfightstory, Pehawk, Mystermatt, and myself) for our alleged bad juju effecting the Hawks performances on the road when YOU finally decide not to lurch on a trip the Hawks reward you with a loss as well.

Bad juju Todd.

RIP Les

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2yled4vp said:
I find this so ironic that after years of making fun of the real official road trip crew (Bestfightstory, Pehawk, Mystermatt, and myself) for our alleged bad juju effecting the Hawks performances on the road when YOU finally decide not to lurch on a trip the Hawks reward you with a loss as well.

Bad juju Todd.

RIP Les

Yup, I'll take the blame! :les:

Largent80

Reaction score
Nice post Todd. i wish we could have hooked up prior to the game. I grew some Hawk ganga, and shared it with Talonted Nose Rider, Seahawkfan80 and a bunch of other 12's.

People on this board have downplayed the heat, but none of us that were there are. You saw the effect on our normally fast defense.

Pity the Broncos in my Mr. T voice, and I will be posting some pics in the SD gameday thread, and all others that have some maybe that would be the best. By the way, that stadium is heaven compared to Candledump park.

Still recovering. And I think next year, I will shoot for AZ. if it is later than September. We kinda were dealt a tough game as when I lived in Escondido, it was routinely close to 100 every day in Sep.

Today where I live it is still 98, down to 93 tomorrow...woo hooooooooo.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
A few more pics...

Attachments

• chinip.jpg
    chinip.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,158
  • mommasherman.jpg
    mommasherman.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 1,158
  • lambo.jpg
    lambo.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,158

Riley12

Reaction score
Nice write up and so glad you made it, despite the considerable obstacles!

Cartire

Reaction score
Great read. We were gonna head to the tailgate ourselves, but as soon as we got off the train, we looked at our club seat tickets and knew there was an a/c club we could hang out in and watch the early games. We selfishly decided to go that route instead of braving the heat of the parking lot.

I am a bit regretful we didn't at least stop by for a second. But the heat was to hard to beat.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Tire...did we see each other in the club and not know it?? I was at club level. I will post pics later. Right now I need more solace than to post pix. I shall post them on my own thread too. I am working on a Coug type thread for my trip.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Wish I coulda been down there with y'all... well, I wished that before the trip, now I'm kinda happy I didn't go hahaha. Glad you had a good time despite the losses.

Cartire

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":hjaljkgp said:
Tire...did we see each other in the club and not know it?? I was at club level. I will post pics later. Right now I need more solace than to post pix. I shall post them on my own thread too. I am working on a Coug type thread for my trip.

There were three lounges, so I don't know for sure as it was packed with 12's. Here's us right when it opened before it got crowded.

image.jpg

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Was good to meet you finally Aros! Ditto Dave. Just wish we all saw a win on Sunday.

Will have to meet up at Temple later in the season for a beer or two.

rastahawk

Reaction score
Nice write up about what looks like was a good and dear friend of yours. I think all .Net members had a heavy heart going into this one. It was too bad we didn't get a win but the Seattle Seahawks are the eternal champs to Radish now. Pity I did not get the chance to see ya. Would have liked to say gidday.

Anyway here's a few snaps from my phone:

Some guy with cool Hawk overalls
20140914 111822 zpsf8c73f7a

Legion of 12's (Yep that was an away game!)
20140914 112550 zpsdae5da34

Trying to blend into the action
20140914 112523 zpsd383b70d

Me & Largent80 shooting the breeze (or lack of it)
20140914 113020 zps0a820da0

Two best looking guys at Qualcomm on Sunday
20140914 113216 zpsfc95927a

The view from our seats
20140914 152025 zpsa1b4c35d

Go Hawks!!!

PS: If I captured anyone in these pics and you want me to remove let me know ;)

rastahawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":150n9gjo said:
So, Rasta, was it hot out?

:thcoffee:

It was so hot chickens were laying hard boiled eggs
It was so hot I saw a squirrel blowing its nuts
It was so hot a gay guy came out and went back in

drum roll

It was so hot people thought the Chargers were good!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Hasselbeck":26632jir said:
Was good to meet you finally Aros! Ditto Dave. Just wish we all saw a win on Sunday.

Will have to meet up at Temple later in the season for a beer or two.

Great meeting you as well! Yeah, not the way we thought the day/game was going to pan out but it was still good to hang with 12's and meet up with old NET friends like yourself.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Who Dat? Greg, NY Coug, ?, Aros, Vetamur, Fan80.

Attachments

• Aros Crew 2.jpg
    Aros Crew 2.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 764

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
And it was a pleasure to meet up with you all.
Cartire, I was in the club close to C3 2 16 J-club. North club.