Football Gameplan's 2014 Seahawks vs Broncos Wk 3 Preview

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Great job Em. I always appreciate you views. I've got a couple questions for you if you have the time to reply.

1. The two receiver pick play (WR setting a screen on a corner) has had a lot off success for Manning and the Broncos and adding the speedy Emanuel Sanders has only helped. You mentioned the need to "untangle the bunch", but what specifically does Seattle need to do to defend this play?

2. Do you see the Bronco's attempting to isolate Julius Thomas 1-on-1 against Seattle's linebackers/saftey by "moving" Richard Sherman away from his usual left side, like the San Diego Chargers did last week. Pic below. If so, how does Seattle need to match up to prevent Thomas from going all Antonio Gate on the Hawks defense

sherm10.png

Thanks again Em.

OP
OP
E

EmDiggy

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":ko1rl2xs said:
Great job Em. I always appreciate you views. I've got a couple questions for you if you have the time to reply.

1. The two receiver pick play (WR setting a screen on a corner) has had a lot off success for Manning and the Broncos and adding the speedy Emanuel Sanders has only helped. You mentioned the need to "untangle the bunch", but what specifically does Seattle need to do to defend this play?

2. Do you see the Bronco's attempting to isolate Julius Thomas 1-on-1 against Seattle's linebackers/saftey by "moving" Richard Sherman away from his usual left side, like the San Diego Chargers did last week. Pic below. If so, how does Seattle need to match up to prevent Thomas from going all Antonio Gate on the Hawks defense

sherm10.png

Thanks again Em.

Thanks Recon!

1. You're always taught when defending the WR, you want to 'squeeze' the alley. By taking the outside shoulder of the blocker, you keep your outside arm free while also shrinking the alley the WR has to shoot through. Essentially using the blocker's body as the '3rd defender'

2. I would absolutely expect them to do so, but the difference is that Thomas isn't Gates, which IMO, is a more favorable matchup for you guys

Largent80

Reaction score
Gates looked like Kellen Winslow on Sunday. I was there, and Rivers was what Manning wishes he could be.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
EmDiggy":3fq0k5nm said:
Recon_Hawk":3fq0k5nm said:

sherm10.png

Thanks again Em.

Thanks Recon!

1. You're always taught when defending the WR, you want to 'squeeze' the alley. By taking the outside shoulder of the blocker, you keep your outside arm free while also shrinking the alley the WR has to shoot through. Essentially using the blocker's body as the '3rd defender'

2. I would absolutely expect them to do so, but the difference is that Thomas isn't Gates, which IMO, is a more favorable matchup for you guys

Thanks for the reply Em!

1. Just to be clear, the play I'm referring to is where the slot receiver runs a corner/out-and-up route and "rubs" the outside corner while the outside receiving runs a slant. It's sometimes seen as an illegal "pick" play, I believe, and called offensive pass interference if the slot receiving is seen blocking instead of running a route. Your answer seemed more for a WR screen pass, but I could be mistaken.

2. I hope you're right about the matchup versus Thomas! Both Kam Chancellor and Malcom Smith are coming off a pre-season with limited playing time and didn't seem to have their feet under them versus Gates last week, so I hope that's not the case this week.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2j4vlyt5 said:
Gates looked like Kellen Winslow on Sunday. I was there, and Rivers was what Manning wishes he could be.

I won't compare Thomas to Winslow (too young to have watched him), but Thomas has looked pretty damn good the first two games. In the game against the Colts (7 catches, 104 yards, 3 TDs) he made the Colts linebackers look silly trying to cover him.

The Seahawks will need to play physical at the line to get him and Manning out of rhythm and bust him in the mouth when going over the middle.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":ob6oet9x said:
Largent80":ob6oet9x said:

I won't compare Thomas to Winslow (too young to have watched him), but Thomas has looked pretty damn good the first two games. In the game against the Colts (7 catches, 104 yards, 3 TDs) he made the Colts linebackers look silly trying to cover him.

The Seahawks will need to play physical at the line to get him and Manning out of rhythm and bust him in the mouth when going over the middle.
Gates has had a far more consistent career than Winslow had and Winslow is a HOFer. So I'd say Gates looked like a young Gates. Thomas has only one decent season under his belt and can't be compared to either of the other two at this point.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2igqhw57 said:
Recon_Hawk":2igqhw57 said:
Largent80":2igqhw57 said:

Gates has had a far more consistent career than Winslow had and Winslow is a HOFer. So I'd say Gates looked like a young Gates. Thomas has only one decent season under his belt and can't be compared to either of the other two at this point.

I'm not comparing Thomas to Winslow or Gates, but to think Thomas can't match up against Malcolm Smith or Chancellor because he's not Gates is underselling him imo.

Highlights for reference.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... highlights