Defense

northseahawk

Reaction score
I'm don't know If it's just me but doesn't it seem that this defense is very lifeless this year? Even the Packers win did didnt feel like what the stats were. I mean I haven't seen the usual intimidation, the extra energy of dancing and smack talking, no big hits, no mugging the receivers at the LOS anymore. The schemes so far seems like Bradley ' s 4th quarter soft prevent defense all game long without any adjustments. If anyone needs a finger pointed at, I think it should be Dann Quin. I hope that the Chargers game woke them up because we need to get back to Seahawk Dense again!

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Some data points from last season (yards allowed):

@HOU: 476 Total Yards (325 Passing, 151 Rushing)
@IND: 317 Total Yards (208 Passing, 109 Rushing) <Note: Gave up 34 Points>

Is that the "Seahawk Defense" we're talking about? The same one that gave up well over 100 yards on the ground to Minnesota and St. Lousi?

So far this season? Rodgers was held to 1 TD, 1 INT, and 175 yards. Aaron Rodgers. I'm sorry it didn't pass the "eye test", but the Packers were annihilated.

The other game from this season? Rivers playing lights out.

It's way too early to have a strong opinion about the defense's performance for the season.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Good points bmore. Way too early. They will get back on track this week. Just watch and it will be that way the rest of the year. I predict 3 takeaways against the Donkos

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
People sure have a short memory.

Remember last year when we lost at Indy, SF and barely won at Carolina, St. Louis, Houston.........and lost to Arizona at home?

Not sure what your expectations were this year northseahawk, but this is the NFL, which means it's VERY HARD to win every week, even if you're a good team. Especially for a SB champion that's going to get EVERY team's best game.

So to answer your question, yes it's just you.

hawk45

Reaction score
Agree it's early to form an opinion but rivers playing lights out does not mitigate anything whatsoever. This D makes a thing of eating elite QBs for lunch, so if the OPs point was this D doesn't look the same *so far* it's legit.
We lost close games last year but this D was never owned for an entire game. A half, yes, with Tampa and Indy, but not 4 quarters.
I expect them to bounce back, but acting like the D always has looked like this and people just don't remember is nuts.
***they looked fine vs Green Bay though IMO, and I thought played physical.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Ok but I still hope that we bring more than 4 at Manning. Rivers absolutely torched us when we only rushed 4.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":68ch6sxb said:

Remember last year when we lost at Indy, SF and barely won at Carolina, St. Louis, Houston.........and lost to Arizona at home?

Not sure what your expectations were this year northseahawk, but this is the NFL, which means it's VERY HARD to win every week, even if you're a good team. Especially for a SB champion that's going to get EVERY team's best game.

I think if a lot of people went back and watched last year's games, they'd be surprised about how much their memory deviates from what actually happened. It's as if some peoples' minds have the Seahawks in general (or even just the defense) dominating throughout the whole year. This did not happen.

Matt Schaub gave Sherman a gift. The Rams couldn't win at the goal line. The win in Carolina was a slugfest. SF was close to scoring in the NFCCG. This team didn't dominate it's way to the Super Bowl. They did manhandle some teams, but forgetting how close they were to losing another game or two and being a wild card shouldn't be forgotten.

King Dog

Reaction score
I'm not worried in general about the D. I'm more worried about the hot weather coming up on Sunday. If we can't get Peyton off the field, and sustain drives when we have the ball, our D could get gassed again.

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
I think you are going to see a different Defense This weekend and forward. After reading Earl Thomas article about how he did not have the fire nor focus going into SD game which I think is true for the whole D. I believe the team losing like that has awoken a giant, And I believe like Earl said Has made this team hungry again to be the best.

Largent80

Reaction score
King Dog":1tne0tu0 said:
I'm not worried in general about the D. I'm more worried about the hot weather coming up on Sunday.

Huge advantage for the Hawks after playing in much hotter weather than this Sunday will be, plus it is at home.

Defense is gonna swarm and annihilate.

Chawks1

Reaction score
northseahawk":7hjm107y said:
I'm don't know If it's just me but doesn't it seem that this defense is very lifeless this year? Even the Packers win did didnt feel like what the stats were. I mean I haven't seen the usual intimidation, the extra energy of dancing and smack talking, no big hits, no mugging the receivers at the LOS anymore. The schemes so far seems like Bradley ' s 4th quarter soft prevent defense all game long without any adjustments. If anyone needs a finger pointed at, I think it should be Dann Quin. I hope that the Chargers game woke them up because we need to get back to Seahawk Dense again!

North I feel the same way. I do not think I would point a finger at Quinn though. But the D seems to be missing a step or some intensity that we had last year. I think we miss Clemons, Bryant, and McDonald a little more than we thought we would. Moving Avril to the other side (where he has never played before) may take a little adjustment too. He has tremendous talent so I'm hoping home cooking this weekend will help him dominate again with Bennett.

And I Also think Cam is still getting into regular season mode after missing most of the summer with his hip surgery.

I do feel we Sherm and Earl will get this team playing championship level again and I'm expecting big things against the Broncos!!!

Hey Denver, 35!!!

kearly

Reaction score
I do think the defense showed worrying signs in the preseason. However, the regular season sample is too small and too flawed to really draw any conclusions from.

Green Bay had just 255 total yards. That's domination of an elite offense. If it didn't feel dominating, it's because they targeted Sherman zero times and Rodgers rarely held the ball long enough to make defensive plays.

The Chargers game really just comes down to how special the Rivers to Gates connection is and how TEs like Gates are a big weakness for our defense. That and the heat.

It does feel like our defense is less physical and less impactful this year, but that sense comes mostly from the preseason (when Seattle DBs were still adjusting to the new rules emphasis) and an extremely unusual game in SD.

One thing I am very encouraged by is how good our run defense has played despite a crapload of broken tackles allowed. You're going to have games sometimes when broken tackles are a problem, and the last couple years, those kind of games resulted in giving up 200+ yards rushing. In the first two games, our run defense is getting the job done even when they have an off day tackling.

Largent80

Reaction score
Yup Kearly. And I think our LB's rebound this week. I ragged on KJ, and maybe rightfully so, however..Rivers was in that zone where he was even throwing to the correct shoulder. From my vantage point, I couldn't believe how he sent those passes that accurate with a lot of pressure we put on.

Actually, I saw us getting good pressure, but somehow Rivers made like RW on a few of them. He was outstanding in that game, you have to give him credit.

Hawks46

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3y4hzc98 said:
Sgt. Largent":3y4hzc98 said:

I think if a lot of people went back and watched last year's games, they'd be surprised about how much their memory deviates from what actually happened. It's as if some peoples' minds have the Seahawks in general (or even just the defense) dominating throughout the whole year. This did not happen.

Matt Schaub gave Sherman a gift. The Rams couldn't win at the goal line. The win in Carolina was a slugfest. SF was close to scoring in the NFCCG. This team didn't dominate it's way to the Super Bowl. They did manhandle some teams, but forgetting how close they were to losing another game or two and being a wild card shouldn't be forgotten.

This is so true. It's funny, but leading up the Superbowl, you had some analysts, and literally every Denver fan, talking about how we weren't that dominant due to all the close games, how the offense limped through the 2nd half of the year, etc, etc. Then we went out and crushed the Donks.

Fast forward to this offseason, and the media has been hyping the Hawks. Talking dynasty. Pencilling us into the SB already (or not if they want to talk about history). I think maybe our guys bought into some of this. I know the fans bought into it.

I think Denver is a good litmus test for us, but not the final one.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Kearly with all due respect TE's were not a problem for this defense the last two seasons in fact we have shut down the best in the buisness. Rivers made some great throws and Gates made some great catches but the bulk of them came when we rushed 4 or less. Rivers had too much time to scan the field and old man gates had too much time to get down field. Rivers was 22 of 25 for 220 yards when we only rushed 4. We did not get pressure with four and we did not adjust. If we make this mistake against Manning he will shred us too.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
bmorepunk":bgqtm9a8 said:
Some data points from last season (yards allowed):

@HOU: 476 Total Yards (325 Passing, 151 Rushing)
@IND: 317 Total Yards (208 Passing, 109 Rushing) <Note: Gave up 34 Points>

Is that the "Seahawk Defense" we're talking about? The same one that gave up well over 100 yards on the ground to Minnesota and St. Lousi?

So far this season? Rodgers was held to 1 TD, 1 INT, and 175 yards. Aaron Rodgers. I'm sorry it didn't pass the "eye test", but the Packers were annihilated.

The other game from this season? Rivers playing lights out.

It's way too early to have a strong opinion about the defense's performance for the season.

Word.