Happy Blue Friday!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does anyone really know how and when Blue Friday started? I have pretty much always celebrated Blue Friday and Saturday and Sunday and Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday. When did it become a thing with a name? Seems to me that sometime in the last 2-3 years.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Yeah, I dunno about the title, but way back in 1980 we started wearing our Seahawk shirts on Fridays in High School, wait, we wore them on Wednesdays too.. oh, and Thursdays, come to think about it on Tuesdays as well... did I mention Mondays, yeah.... oh and Saturdays... of course on Sunday!! :th2thumbs:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Many teams have <insert color here> Fridays, and probably have for a really long time.

The real question is, who gave it the "cute" name first?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't really hear about it locally until around the 2005 season when the Seahawks made their first run to the Super Bowl. I'm sure it was around before but it didn't really pick up steam until then. Blue Pride was everywhere during the 2005 playoff season but nowhere near what it was last year. Pretty much since the Russell Wilson Era it has been nothing but a collective blue and green orgasm in the Pacific Northwest. Okay, probably not the best visual but you get what I mean.

Now, Friday's are synonymous with BLUE Fridays here in the PNW. Casual Fridays used to be the term, but with the success we've enjoyed recently, it's turned into Blue Fridays. Many people that are not Seahawks fans use it as yet another reason to think we are nothing but bandwagoneers, lol. Let 'em think what they want.

Personally I love the attention and affection whether it be from the "38ers" or newcomers who simply want to enjoy the feeling of a winning team that happens to be from their region. The more Blue and Green, the more the 12's the better!

Riley12

Reaction score
Aros":1a8ic58k said:
I didn't really hear about it locally until around the 2005 season when the Seahawks made their first run to the Super Bowl.

That's what I remember as well. That also seems to be around the time a "12" flag was first put up on the Space Needle.

Part of me loves the day, because that means there is one day of the week where I don't stand out. Of course, this year, not a single day passed after February 2nd, where I never saw a Super Bowl champions hat or shirt on at least one person (other than myself or my family).

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
My wife has led the way in reviving Blue Friday at her office. Most everyone there is kinda stuffy and middle-aged, but many have started to rock out with their Hawk out since she dyed blue and green streaks in her hair and started wearing her jerseys on Fridays a couple years ago. She hasn't dyed the streaks yet this season. Even the people who gave her sideways glances when she first did it have been bugging her to bring 'em back.

Mick063

Reaction score
I live in the east side of the state and I see a ton of blue over here.