Okung

Largent80

Reaction score
Color me not impressed.

He has looked mediocre in both pass and run blocking. He hasn't played a whole year yet without some sort of injury. He still makes penalties that a vet line man should not. He is a C+ lineman on his best days. Yeah Walter may have spoiled us, but I just see mediocre with Okung.

Last Sunday?,..... :pukeface:

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Really had a rough game last week. But so did the whole team so I'll wait and see how it goes before I call for his head. Plus Bevell.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I see a mix of mediocre and brilliance from last year, and overall last year I would say he did above average when healthy. So far this year not impressed though. Looks like Carpenter did all of last year.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Not calling for his head Zeb, just stating my opinion on his overall play and his constant injuries.

It would be nice to just not have to worry about him, and when he went down last year we did see how bad our next guy in line was at LT. Now, we have a different player to fill that role if needed, I just expect more from a 1st round LT.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Largent80":35hzvmx7 said:
Not calling for his head Zeb, just stating my opinion on his overall play and his constant injuries.

It would be nice to just not have to worry about him, and when he went down last year we did see how bad our next guy in line was at LT. Now, we have a different player to fill that role if needed, I just expect more from a 1st round LT.

I completely agree. He seems to be one of those dudes who gets better as the season progresses, as long as he's able to stay healthy (duh). So we'll see how it goes.

BlueOne

Reaction score
I actually thought Okung looked pretty good this year in run blocking so far. That said his pass blocking is pretty poor and that combined with Britt making a number of rookie mistakes has made the pocket collapse far too often. I think the team is really missing Giacomini at the moment. That said, Britt looks ok for a 2nd game rookie, hopefully he continues to improve.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
he played better as a rookie. he must still be playing hurt. He's a disappointment for sure.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Britt is gonna be ok.

Its the other guy whos name starts with ok that has never been dominate.

kearly

Reaction score
I haven't watched Okung at all in the regular season this year. But when I have watched last season and during the preseason this year, he gave off the vibe of a good player who aged early, like Lofa Tatupu. Could be that years of injuries are catching up to him even when he's healthy.

As we saw last year, we can do much worse than Okung. I don't think he's any kind of problem right now, but I also think Seattle is going to be looking elsewhere at his position when his current deal runs out.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
2015 will be another loaded year for first round left tackles, although the good ones will go very early.

There will be one or two later first round options though. It'll be a good year to look into the options there.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":30y0m5cx said:
2015 will be another loaded year for first round left tackles, although the good ones will go very early.

There will be one or two later first round options though. It'll be a good year to look into the options there.

I think at this point, it will need to be addressed. I can't imagine what Okungs agent would ask from the Hawks on a new contract unless he actually plays as well as he is paid. People bitch about Irvin, his first round draft, but Okung hasn't lived up to his billing. I don't hate the guy nor think he is a bum, but I would invite everyone who reads this thread to focus on him this year.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I agree. Okung is not playing well. I remember back in 2011 before Trent Cole flipped him and ripped his pec, Okung looked like he was about to be one of the best LTs in the game. He has never gotten close to that level of play again from what I can tell.

I am pretty freaking terrified about the thought of Demarcus Ware and Von Miller against Okung and Britt. That is not going to even be fair. I think poor pass blocking by the tackles could really derail the offense in this game and potentially the season as a whole.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Missing_Clink":3k5rmsym said:
I agree. Okung is not playing well. I remember back in 2011 before Trent Cole flipped him and ripped his pec, Okung looked like he was about to be one of the best LTs in the game. He has never gotten close to that level of play again from what I can tell.

I am pretty freaking terrified about the thought of Demarcus Ware and Von Miller against Okung and Britt. That is not going to even be fair. I think poor pass blocking by the tackles could really derail the offense in this game and potentially the season as a whole.

GB had Peppers and Matthews and that game turned out alright. We'll game plan it. Have to stay on schedule and all that. 1-0 every week. (Cliché Football Saying). Go Hawks.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I didn't think he played that well against GB either, adequately perhaps but not dominant. So far I am totally underwhelmed by his play as a top ten pick. I don't see the team renewing him at a premium price when his contract is up for renewal. Besides he's only been available about 55% of available time here due to one injury or another. He's always been comparatively weak defending against speed rushers.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
It's not at all a good thing to have tackles playing like this. Just a couple things I things though.
1) We one the super bowl with Okung.
2) We didn't have Okung for half the season and the online was a freaking mash unit most of the season. And we won the superbowl.
3) Okung's backup played worse than Okung and we won the superbowl.
4) I believe Okung will get better this season and we will win the superbowl.
I think PC and JS biggest hardship has been building the oline. Okung however was the rite choice at the time. He had huge upside, and I think he still does. Hopefully we can sign him to a cap friendly contract and he shows what he could have been the whole time.
It is frustrating to see a unit struggle when so many a recourse has been spent. I think Britt will do well but our LG spot is very questionable for the future.

nanomoz

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":22yrgw6v said:

Thanks, Rob. I was just about to attempt to summon you. Who would have thought Carpenter could be the more likely re-signing?

Maybe this makes Okung available on-the-cheap?

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
nanomoz":tanzp92z said:
theENGLISHseahawk":tanzp92z said:

Thanks, Rob. I was just about to attempt to summon you. Who would have thought Carpenter could be the more likely re-signing?

Maybe this makes Okung available on-the-cheap?

At this point Carp is outplaying Okung. And He is valuable. It took a while but there it is.

It depends on Okungs performance for another 14 games and his ability to play all of those. So far, he is unreliable.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Okung is overrated. I remember when scouting him coming out of college that I had about a 3rd round grade on him. Taken entirely too high. His mental lapses, lack of "punch", and slow initial first step meant a limited long term upside.

I will have to look back through my notes and review my game tapes of him.

Hendo66

Reaction score
Good topic. I've been noticing that Okung doesn't appear to play with a lot of fire. Maybe just me but I've thought that for a while. Although he is still very serviceable I'm not so sure he gets a new contract with Seattle. I still like him more than a lot of LT's. My .02