The 38ers

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, I get the whole "reminds me of the 49ers" mind set but the hell with that. From this day forward, the term has been coined by our very own MizzouHawkGal. Those of us old farts who have been a diehard of the Seahawks since inception will forever be known as the 38ers.

(For those of you still confused, 38 stands for the amount of years we had to wait until the Seahawks finally won the Super Bowl.)

It doesn't make us any better or smarter or in any way superior to any 12 with less time invested. It simply means we have been there from the beginning because we were born a lot sooner than some of you.

Still, it's a designation we honor and cherish.

Suck it 49ers. If only your team's name had that kind of cool history. :lol:

idahohawk

Reaction score
I'm a 38er. Granted, I was only 5 that first year, I have school pictures of me proudly wearing my Seahawk shirt to prove my loyalty! I wore a Seahawk shirt for almost all my elementary school pictures!

It is definitely a designation I honor and Cherish.

As I mentioned in another thread, my dad and uncle were charter members of the North Idaho Seahawkers club. I made many a trip with them to the Kingdome (we drove across WA on I-90) sometimes going down and back in 24 hours! Largent, Zorn, Doornink, Warner... Good times.

Proud to be a 38er!

Here are a few pics I recently scanned.

15107987019 701de26265 q[
Me getting Steve Largent's autograph in Cheney.

15107987079 78917b0f58 q
Me, my mom, and Efren Herrera

15107986819 5acc705106 q
My Uncle's bar in my home town. Full Seahawk mode.

#gohawks

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So full of awesome!

This is the only photo of me showing off my 38er status but I have a better one wearing a Seahawks helmet and Zorn jersey in a mock pass pose at the same age. It has found its way somewhere among the many storage boxes in our garage but I WILL find it one day.

Attachments

• littlearos.jpg
    littlearos.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,383

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
idahohawk":2zo5s3x6 said:
I'm a 38er. Granted, I was only 5 that first year, I have school pictures of me proudly wearing my Seahawk shirt to prove my loyalty! I wore a Seahawk shirt for almost all my elementary school pictures!

It is definitely a designation I honor and Cherish.

As I mentioned in another thread, my dad and uncle were charter members of the North Idaho Seahawkers club. I made many a trip with them to the Kingdome (we drove across WA on I-90) sometimes going down and back in 24 hours! Largent, Zorn, Doornink, Warner... Good times.

Proud to be a 38er!

Here are a few pics I recently scanned.

15107987019 701de26265 q[
Me getting Steve Largent's autograph in Cheney.

15107987079 78917b0f58 q
Me, my mom, and Efren Herrera

15107986819 5acc705106 q
My Uncle's bar in my home town. Full Seahawk mode.

#gohawks
I can vouch for your loyalty brother!!! Our loyalty is stronger than ever.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
ff56b0f4-4f50-408f-bfe3-492d90b3eb39_toast2.gif

kearly

Reaction score
What will the 38ers call themselves in 2025?

suppaball

Reaction score
Born a year late so 37, but still a fan my whole life all 37 years of it. The seahawks were my first team to win a championship in my lifetime.

A

Anonymous

Cool, another Hawk-measuring contest. :mrgreen:

It was a cool and gloomy night in September of 1976 and I was a skinny 13-year-old kid. It was a regular evening in our family household, except it was all dark, the only light coming from the screen of a single, 28-inch console TV in the corner of the room. My step-father's wool sock covered feet dangling over the footrest on the lounge chair a few feet away, my younger identical-twin brothers building with Lego's in the kitchen, and my mom banging pots and pans. It was the first televised Seattle Seahawks football game, and we were all watching it, together.

My mom was the kind of mom that would put the little notes in your sack lunch every day. She was the one that when she dropped you off for school, you had to give her a kiss, right in front of whomever was watching. She was the mom who paid attention, and knew that a new football team was starting up, and she knew that her kid had been talking about it, and was excited. So, even though money was tight, mom did what she could to make it special for me.

My step-father worked a lot, and during those years he had trouble with migraine headaches. He wasn't very sporty or active, but he loved racing and working on cars and it's he that taught me about them whenever he could. He was good, very good, and could put a Holley carburetor together blindfolded, we would become Seahawks fans together that night.

As I lay sprawled out on the carpet in front of that screen and taking-in all the splendor, out of the blue my mom tosses me a brand new Seahawks sweatshirt, and inaugural team handbook. I was ready to go, complete with the hand-written note of love from her inside the front cover. The best thing of all? It was my first official "TV night" too, when I got to choose the channel we watched.

New stuff, new football team, and my own day of the week to watch them play. The rest, as they say, is history.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1mpytugc said:
Cool, another Hawk-measuring contest.

It was a cool and gloomy night in September of 1976 and I was a skinny 13-year-old kid. It was a regular evening in our family household, except it was all dark, the only light coming from the screen of a single, 28-inch console TV in the corner of the room....

I was in a college dorm room @ Eastern WA Univ and I certainly didn't have a 28 inch TV. Probably a 17" B&W.

Proud to be a 38er. A fan "since day 1".

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
I like it!

No pictures to show off from back then, but it was awesome to have a home state team to root for. Junior in high school and so happy to stop following the skins. :thirishdrinkers:

rideaducati

Reaction score
I guess I would be a 36er then because I didn't give a damn about football before I was eight. Even then, it took til October of that season for the Seahawks to hook me. They beat the Raiders and I saw how much it irked my step father. Hating him like I did, there was no other choice that day. 27-7...

LargentFan

Reaction score
I was born 2 months after the 1976 season ended. Seeing as I was a viable fetus for almost a full month of the season, I hereby request the right to claim 38. Who do I submit this request to??

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
37er here because I noticed Jim Zorn and thought he was so cute. I was only 10 and we just moved out to WA the year before. I have been a Hawk fan my whole life even though we moved to Michigan in 1984. Even Barry Sanders couldn't get me to stop being a Seahawk fan. lol

A

Anonymous

LargentFan":qnpbhan0 said:
I was born 2 months after the 1976 season ended. Seeing as I was a viable fetus for almost a full month of the season, I hereby request the right to claim 38. Who do I submit this request to??

Question:

Did your mother, or did she not, watch at least 50% of that season's games, up and including those you were considered "a viable fetus"?

Riley12

Reaction score
Ah! I remember 1976 and the first Seahawks season very well. It was quite a turning point in my life.

My parents had recently divorced, and my sister and I had spent our summer with our dad and his girlfriend in Palos Verdes. My mom had moved back to the Tri Cities, from which we had just moved two years ago. This time, though, we were going to be in that "other" town, Richland, instead of in Pasco where we grew up.

At the time, I was a Dolphins fan because I wanted to be something that related to the ocean - marine biologist, oceanographer, something. I liked their logo and they had had a great deal of success, of course. I had a Dolphins garbage can (one of the big tin ones from the Sears Catalog) and pajamas (also Sears Catalog).

My dad and his girlfriend drove us up to Richland and dropped us off. It was fairly tearful. Later that day, I was unpacking my stuff and my mom's friend (later boyfriend, later husband) was helping me unpack and saw my garbage can. He said, "You know, we have our own team to root for now." and proceeded to tell me all about this brand new team called the Seahawks. We probably went out even that same day to see if I could replace my pajamas and garbage can (to Sears).

Through the season and subsequent years my bonds to the team and that friend, whom I now also refer to as "Dad", grew tighter and tighter. Once we moved into a house three years later, we would host a weekly viewing party and I would earn a bit of money running up and down the stairs, bringing beers and snacks for our guests from the kitchen to the basement lounge.

In later years, adulthood, I became 'that guy'. The fellow you see walking down the street in Seahawks stuff even though it is the middle of Spring, sometimes head to toe (hat, shirt, jacket, scarf, shoes). I don't wear it because it is a gameday but because if I need a shirt, why not a Seahawks shirt, if I need shoes, why not Seahawks shoes, and so on. Everyday for most of my life has been a 'Blue Friday'.

I went to Detroit for our first Super Bowl with my dad and was crushed by the experience.

I went to New Jersey for our second Super Bowl with my dad, daughter and son and it was an experience of a lifetime. To say it was like living in a dream would almost be an understatement. Some days, I worry that I actually never made it to the game and that I am still dreaming.

My mom is already onboard for our third Super Bowl trip.

LargentFan

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1gov0dvr said:
LargentFan":1gov0dvr said:

Question:

Did your mother, or did she not, watch at least 50% of that season's games, up and including those you were considered "a viable fetus"?

Not likely. She was a 19-year old battered wife. She probably didn't know the Seahawks existed. Still, something must have been going on subconsciously, because I bleed blue and green!