This is what happens

Hawks46

Reaction score
When you play not to lose.

Denver was supposedly the team coming in playing not to get blown out. I know I felt pretty good about going into halftime at 17-3, thinking if we stopped the Broncos on their first two drives we'd at least net a FG and hopefully a TD, and it would be over.

Instead, we run a distustingly simple and obvioius run, run, pass, punt play call sequence the entire 2nd half. I honestly don't get it. Pete preaches you can't win the game in the 1st half, yet we sure as hell looked like we thought we won that game at halftime, at least on offense.

Crap happens you can't predict, which is why you need to be up by three scores before you start going ultra conservative.

Haushka missed a FG. It happens, no one is 100%.

Wilson gets sacked at the goal line. People get pissed that he's called a game manager, but the elite QBs have pocket prescence and field awareness to know where you're at and get rid of the ball faster in that situation. Manning NEVER takes that sack. Ever. I'm not mad as Wilson will learn from it and keep rolling, but it's a coachable moment for him.

Harvin runs a ball out he never should've, and gets dropped at the 9 yard line. Seriously, I know he's elite, but you barely catch the ball, and tip toe to stay in bounds barely make it out of the end zone. Take a knee man.

If we needed any proof they were playingstupid football, look at our drive in OT. We knew we needed to win, so we go with a great mix of run/pass and get what we need: 7-10 yards per pass and high percentage passes, mixed with inside zone runs when the defense isn't obviously ready for it. Gee, TD and we win. Why couldn't we do that the entire 2nd half ?

I felt bad about this game after the INT, when we went run, run, run, run, FG. I knew something bad was going to happen to us. I'm glad we won, but I really hope the coaches self evaluate and not make this mistake again. Championship football is crushing teams when we get the chance.

Reaction score
Hawks46":17khkhjj said:

Denver was supposedly the team coming in playing not to get blown out. I know I felt pretty good about going into halftime at 17-3, thinking if we stopped the Broncos on their first two drives we'd at least net a FG and hopefully a TD, and it would be over.

Instead, we run a distustingly simple and obvioius run, run, pass, punt play call sequence the entire 2nd half. I honestly don't get it. Pete preaches you can't win the game in the 1st half, yet we sure as hell looked like we thought we won that game at halftime, at least on offense.

Crap happens you can't predict, which is why you need to be up by three scores before you start going ultra conservative.

Wilson gets sacked at the goal line. People get pissed that he's called a game manager, but the elite QBs have pocket prescence and field awareness to know where you're at and get rid of the ball faster in that situation. Manning NEVER takes that sack. Ever. I'm not mad as Wilson will learn from it and keep rolling, but it's a coachable moment for him.

Harvin runs a ball out he never should've, and gets dropped at the 9 yard line. Seriously, I know he's elite, but you barely catch the ball, and tip toe to stay in bounds barely make it out of the end zone. Take a knee man.

If we needed any proof they were playingstupid football, look at our drive in OT. We knew we needed to win, so we go with a great mix of run/pass and get what we need: 7-10 yards per pass and high percentage passes, mixed with inside zone runs when the defense isn't obviously ready for it. Gee, TD and we win. Why couldn't we do that the entire 2nd half ?

I felt bad about this game after the INT, when we went run, run, run, run, FG. I knew something bad was going to happen to us. I'm glad we won, but I really hope the coaches self evaluate and not make this mistake again. Championship football is crushing teams when we get the chance.

I agree totally this is a game we let them back into shouldn't of been close to overtime. Too conservative on offense, and defense in crunch time, playing not to lose damn near cost us a victory.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wow dude, lighten up. The reason Peyton never takes sacks is he has big, strong receivers and get s the ball out quickly.

We don't play that kind of game. Russell had a good game, I just don't think he saw Talib leave his receiver and come back to top the ball. That interception wasn't even a clean INT. If RW would have pump faked, he would have had Talibs WR open for a long TD.

Taliban guessed right.

xCalibur

Reaction score
Pete needs to really sit down with Quinn and talk about his play calling and the way our secondary just looked lost on the right side during that last drive by Manning. Just look at Pete's face during that drive, he was not happy and knew something was wrong. Also, where the hell was the pass rush.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2b6v7xwr said:
Wow dude, lighten up. The reason Peyton never takes sacks is he has big, strong receivers and get s the ball out quickly.

We don't play that kind of game. Russell had a good game, I just don't think he saw Talib leave his receiver and come back to top the ball. That interception wasn't even a clean INT. If RW would have pump faked, he would have had Talibs WR open for a long TD.

Taliban guessed right.

Now we know the terrorist's team of choice! Down with the Taliban...down with Papa Johns...down with the Broncos!!!

Reaneypark

Reaction score
xCalibur":10xlg3jb said:
Pete needs to really sit down with Quinn and talk about his play calling and the way our secondary just looked lost on the right side during that last drive by Manning. Just look at Pete's face during that drive, he was not happy and knew something was wrong. Also, where the hell was the pass rush.

Pass rush was getting tackled by the Broncos O-line. Watch it again , you'll see.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
xCalibur":o2yy90xi said:
I don't want to be too critical of a game we won against a potential Super Bowl team and a HOF QB, but both coordinators need to be sat down and have a good "talkin' too!" As they both took their feet of the gas.

Right now and I'm just happy with the win and how "money" our QB was on that last drive, RW was not going to accept nothing less than a TD on that drive! The guy plays like a champion!

taco40

Reaction score
Reaneypark":3kd7x30u said:
xCalibur":3kd7x30u said:

Pass rush was getting tackled by the Broncos O-line. Watch it again , you'll see.

You should also watch for the receivers tackling the DB's more and more blatantly as the second half rolled along. There was a string of three plays in which one started to believe the refs weren't incompetent, but really were looking the other way on purpose. Some of those "picks" were more like whole trunks of trees. For the defense to come through time and time again against that is a feat.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":8y7q5hog said:
This is what happens... when you play not to lose.

I could have sworn Seattle won.

Also that last drive had nothing to do with playing not to lose. Seattle was in the right kind of defense, but Fox/Gase had a new route package that they saved for that situation and Seattle really had no answer for it since it's impossible to prepare for stuff you haven't seen.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
If it's not a blowout win some people will treat it like a loss. We certainly had enough of these last year.

Manning had one good desperate drive that ended up in a touchdown. He had a freebie off of a turnover for another touchdown. All of last season Denver was held to two touchdowns two times: their home loss to the Chargers and the Super Bowl.

Seattle drug the Broncos down the the Seahawks game and won it their way. They did a lot of this crap last season. I expect to see a lot of it this season.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
ivotuk":1brky4dz said:

Taliban guessed right.

Quote me in my post where I said anything about Wilson throwing an INT. Sometimes, defenses make good plays, and that was one. I get tired of people ripping our defense, saying the offense had a bad day, when our defense makes plays.

seahawksfanatic000

Reaction score
On the last drive, it was on maxwell. They were in a cover four and Denver ran a seam switch ( outside receiver goes in and goes deep, inside receiver goes sideline off of his back and then streaks.) Maxwell followed the first wr out of his zone and left the other receiver open. Happened once, and then the exact same play except to a TE. It was a good call against zone, but that is on maxwell, not Quinn.

Also, the sack that Wilson took that was mentioned in the OP was a ridiculous blindside hit. No way that he could have expected that. Manning would have been sacked in that situation also.

On an unrelated note, hasselbeck got in today. Go Matt!

The Battle #83

Reaction score
Most teams try the run, run, pass when they're up. It drove me crazy when we did it in highschool it can be effective if the running game play calls is mixed up and the oline is imposing their will on the dline .

mikeak

Reaction score
1) QBs takes sacks. He sees the guy last second and try to secure the ball. Happens.

2) last FG in regular time. RW isn't even allowed to win the game or get a first down - then it is his fault that Denver goes the length of the field?

What happened is that Denver shut down the run at times and got pressure as our line couldn't hold up.

dusktreader

Reaction score
bmorepunk":t67ej82y said:
If it's not a blowout win some people will treat it like a loss. We certainly had enough of these last year.

Manning had one good desperate drive that ended up in a touchdown. He had a freebie off of a turnover for another touchdown. All of last season Denver was held to two touchdowns two times: their home loss to the Chargers and the Super Bowl.

Seattle drug the Broncos down the the Seahawks game and won it their way. They did a lot of this crap last season. I expect to see a lot of it this season.

Thank you so much for this post. EXACTLY right.

We got put in a position to lose by some bonehead plays by a few different players.

It was a great defensive showing for 59 minutes of football. That last drive was a good illustration of exactly why Manning is going to go in the HOF. And our last drive in OT is a good argument for why Russell's jersey is going to be hanging in the rafters one day.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Hawks46":2qdfcob5 said:

So do you consider Aaron Rodgers a game manager after he got sacked at the goaline and coughed up the football at like their two yard line week 1 against us?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Denver's defense played very good. I'm willing to give them some credit. Von Miller is a beast, and having Talib and Ward in that secondary makes a huge difference for them.