Marshawn Lynch the WR

kearly

Reaction score
This was one of the best plays of the game, but was kind of lost in the shuffle with how crazy the game turned out.

lynchWR.0.gif

First, it's a pretty weird formation when you have Zach Miller and Marshawn Lynch lined up like WRs on the same side. Lynch makes a nifty cut inside, and the big body of Miller helps create a legal screen that prevents Denver from keeping up.

The best part might be how Wilson pretends to look left before immediately turning and firing to his right knowing all along that he's going to Lynch on this play. What an evil little play this is.

This play feels almost automatic, and it's pretty cool that Seattle unleashed it with just a few seconds to go before halftime to get a touchdown that ultimately proved to be huge.

zhawk

Reaction score
kearly":jxcjnk1r said:
This was one of the best plays of the game, but was kind of lost in the shuffle with how crazy the game turned out.

lynchWR.0.gif

First, it's a pretty weird formation when you have Zach Miller and Marshawn Lynch lined up like WRs on the same side. Lynch makes a nifty cut inside, and the big body of Miller helps create a legal screen that prevents Denver from keeping up.

The best part might be how Wilson pretends to look left before immediately turning and firing to his right knowing all along that he's going to Lynch on this play. What an evil little play this is.

This play feels almost automatic, and it's pretty cool that Seattle unleashed it with just a few seconds to go before halftime to get a touchdown that ultimately proved to be huge.

Wilson, not perfect....but automatic?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I saw this play and I was like "holy crap, Lynch just ran an inslide slant ! What!?"

I've always felt Lynch was underrated as a receiver. I loved that play last year where Wilson threw it to him on a screen, and Lynch one hands it and carries it like a loaf of bread for a few steps before tucking it.

Tokadub

Reaction score
kearly":244gfbkg said:

lynchWR.0.gif

Very good observation! That was a downright filthy nearly undefendable play.

One of the only slants if not thee only slant passing play I can recall from this game. I was wondering why we didn't run more slant passes with Baldwin/Harvin and why we only passed to our Tight Ends two times and we passed to Walters 5 times.

But it's nice to see this little piece of brilliance mixed in among an otherwise frustratingly close game (if you believe we should have won easily at home).

Funny how the announcers didn't even seem to make a single comment about how sick that play was, I don't recall really any replays either. Meanwhile they were slobbering all over Denver for having such unique plays that our "defense has never seen no matter how prepared they are"...

I didn't see anything special about what Denver did on those plays, seemed pretty standard. But then again the commentators were hyping up Denver's interceptions and punts all game...

Did the announcers really praise the Broncos for 2 punts and an interception saying you can't blame them, they playing well etc? I coulda sworn...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, Bevell IS the one who called a damn pass play on 2nd and long from his own end zone. But, as bad as he was on that drive, he was VERY good on the final drive. It is what it is, drives you nuts, but overall gets the job done.

Largent80

Reaction score
That play completely fooled Denver.

Regarding Bevell, the only part of his playcalling I didn't like was when we were in position to score and we simply played conservative and settled for 3. That might be on Pete as well, but in that situation if we are more creative, we put the final nail in the coffin and there is no overtime.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Denver is going to watch that play and think Miller is an idiot for not hitting the LB on Lynch. It isn't like these refs were calling illegal picks.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tokadub":1b5sb5hp said:
..........Funny how the announcers didn't even seem to make a single comment about how sick that play was......
That's not true. Simms specifically mentioned Russell looking one way and then throwing the other and gave him a verbal pat on the back for doing so. I remember because I thought to myself "well yeah, he's been looking off safeties and linebackers since the preseason game vs. KC in his rookie year".
Can someone please re-watch and verify cuz if I'm wrong I'd be happy to pile on Simms.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
On Sky Sports they picked this play to analyse as Denver set up exactly the same (3WR left, 2WR right) when in a similar position on the field and the ex Bears safety whose name I forget showed the difference in execution because our secondary stood off the targeted receiver and Denver started to close to Miller, then left a gap as he followed him. Ours went for a TD and Manning fired it through the endzone.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":lnvirhub said:
On Sky Sports they picked this play to analyse as Denver set up exactly the same (3WR left, 2WR right) when in a similar position on the field and the ex Bears safety whose name I forget showed the difference in execution because our secondary stood off the targeted receiver and Denver started to close to Miller, then left a gap as he followed him. Ours went for a TD and Manning fired it through the endzone.
I watched the same broadcast. Shaun Gayle was the X's and O's guy. His and Neil Reynold's breakdowns of certain plays was excellent.

NYCoug

Reaction score
This play was great.

What's funny was that it looked like Zach Miller was telling Marshawn where to line up before the snap. As the ball was snapped, it still didn't look like Zach thought Marshawn was in the right spot, but they went on with it and the result was beautiful.

Nice post, kearly.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":351i1lwk said:
Tokadub":351i1lwk said:
..........Funny how the announcers didn't even seem to make a single comment about how sick that play was......
That's not true. Simms specifically mentioned Russell looking one way and then throwing the other and gave him a verbal pat on the back for doing so. I remember because I thought to myself "well yeah, he's been looking off safeties and linebackers since the preseason game vs. KC in his rookie year".
Can someone please re-watch and verify cuz if I'm wrong I'd be happy to pile on Simms.

The Simms hate is bizarre. I agree, he said a lot of insightful things about the Seahawks (and the Broncos) that a casual observer might not notice. When the Broncos were down they seemed like they were getting manhandled so he talked about them more to keep people watching (it was a featured game, after all). Apparently this is "bias". Are we talking about a cable "news" channel or football?

Also, Lynch sold that route. The DB was leaning back before he cut.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I love Marshawn.

I admit to having a bias, I used to be a huge fan of the RBs as a kid. Warner, Warren even someone named Derrick Fenner. I remember running around as a kid screaming "Dr. Dan!" because Doornick somehow beat the Raiders.

Something about a runningback burrowing through the line and popping out on the other side, like Barry Sanders did against either the Bears or Cowboys, just screams football to me. Even more so than thrilling TD catches, which makes it a little sad how devalued RBs are becoming.

So my God, how awesome it is to have someone like Lynch playing for us.

I find it funny that he is almost universally loved, regardless of how much someone might hate the Seahawks (if they are fans of an opposing team).

Either way, it is probably saying something that doesn't need to be said. Everybody knows that Marshawn is stellar.

But we are lucky to have him.

And a big overlooked plus he brings to the table is he is pretty damned good at catching the ball too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Not one person has commented on the adjustment Marshawn makes to catch that ball, it came behind him with some zip, he caught it on his hip with both hands, very nice grab. Or turned into it, it happened fast, in any case it wasn't just right in stride in his hands.