Lynch safety question

bhamhawk

Reaction score
How many times has Beast been tackled for a safety in his career? I can't think of another.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, look at the play prior to that. Horrific play call, period. No excuse for calling a pass play from your own end zone, up 2 TD's, and with Ryan booming 70 yard punts.

lobohawk

Reaction score
A judgement mistake on his part. If you look at the replays he had a couple yards, if he goes straight...but he did a patented shuffle to the left toward the defender. Essentially flinching from the rush on the right.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lobohawk":1n8q4qjr said:
A judgement mistake on his part. If you look at the replays he had a couple yards, if he goes straight...but he did a patented shuffle to the left toward the defender. Essentially flinching from the rush on the right.

Bingo.

Lynch had a seam to take it straight and maybe get 3-4 yards, but he thought he could bounce it outside and pick up more. Maybe a little selfishness on Lynch's part to try and make a big play instead of just getting us out of trouble? But hard to criticize Beastmode.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Kearse was being blocked into his lane. That hole would have closed up fast. There's no telling how that play would have ended if he'd tried to stay up the middle. He might have gotten the ball out of the end zone but if so, just barely. His job is to read the blocking and try to find a crease. It was a series of unfortunate events and some good play by the Broncs D that are responsible for that safety.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1bzbmt11 said:
Kearse was being blocked into his lane. That hole would have closed up fast. There's no telling how that play would have ended if he'd tried to stay up the middle. He might have gotten the ball out of the end zone but if so, just barely. His job is to read the blocking and try to find a crease. It was a series of unfortunate events and some good play by the Broncs D that are responsible for that safety.

Watch the play again

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 4f82df79c5

There were two defenders waiting in the hole, but still enough room for Lynch to get a couple yards. First priority when playing from your own endzone is to get the heck out fast, and that was up the middle. A gamble we didn't need at that point in the game.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I've watched the play 30 times. There's no way to know for sure what would have happened.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1yc9dwoi said:
I've watched the play 30 times. There's no way to know for sure what would have happened.

Yes there is, we know going straight would not have resulted in a safety.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":375jxasi said:
Zebulon Dak":375jxasi said:

I guess. Looks to me like Ware was gonna get his hands on Lynch regardless of which side of Kearse he ended up on. And 95 and the LB were right there either way. Maybe he gets the ball across the line and it's no safety but this notion that he had a guaranteed 3-4 yards is ridiculous.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":p6zsj6vc said:
Sgt. Largent":p6zsj6vc said:
Zebulon Dak":p6zsj6vc said:

I guess. Looks to me like Ware was gonna get his hands on Lynch regardless of which side of Kearse he ended up on. And 95 and the LB were right there either way. Maybe he gets the ball across the line and it's no safety but this notion that he had a guaranteed 3-4 yards is ridiculous.

When does Lynch not get 3-4 yards? Dude always busts his ass to grind out 1-2 extra yards. Ridiculous to think he wouldn't scratch out a couple yards and give us more room to punt.

renofox

Reaction score
The real question is: Why would a play be designed which relied upon a WR blocking DWare?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3pw0d472 said:
Zebulon Dak":3pw0d472 said:
Sgt. Largent":3pw0d472 said:
Zebulon Dak":3pw0d472 said:

When does Lynch not get 3-4 yards? Dude always busts his ass to grind out 1-2 extra yards. Ridiculous to think he wouldn't scratch out a couple yards and give us more room to punt.

He had 6 runs yesterday for no gain or negative yardage. I love Beast but these things happen on occasion.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
renofox":3166ltgr said:
The real question is: Why would a play be designed which relied upon a WR blocking DWare?

THIS is my question as well. Not a very favorable matchup.

kearly

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":tli3s4ux said:
Zebulon Dak":tli3s4ux said:

I agree with this. There was clearly enough room to make it out of the endzone if Lynch cuts straight up decisively instead of kicking out.

But it's pretty hard to criticize when the RB position is such an ad-lib type of job. A lot of the brilliant plays Lynch makes do not go to script. If you want a robot RB, Turbin's the guy. If you want an artist at RB, that's Lynch. This was one of the rare times where his creativity hurt us, but on the whole his unique running decisions have been very good for our team.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":26pu2a5s said:
Zebulon Dak":26pu2a5s said:
Sgt. Largent":26pu2a5s said:
Zebulon Dak":26pu2a5s said:

If he goes right behind the line up the middle there he certainly doesnt get tackled in the endzone.

When he bounced it outside he loses forward momentum and that all it takes when a defender is waiting for you.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
3 running plays, more room for a massive punt from Ryan. Zero points given up, play D and dominate like you had been the first 3 plus quarters.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
SoulfishHawk":3rm9r7fp said:
3 running plays, more room for a massive punt from Ryan. Zero points given up, play D and dominate like you had been the first 3 plus quarters.

Sooo... the difference between your scenario and what actually happened is that we spotted them two points. Jon Ryan's free kick landed at the goal line and was returned 23 yards, to the 23 yard line.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just because he had a monster free kick (punt) doesn't mean it's still not a horrible call. Zero reason to call a pass play from there. We can agree to disagree. That crap never works, yet it gets called.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
SoulfishHawk":2juo5b4z said:
Just because he had a monster free kick (punt) doesn't mean it's still not a horrible call. Zero reason to call a pass play from there. We can agree to disagree. That crap never works, yet it gets called.

I seem to remember several dropped passes that were thrown out of the end zone in previous games too. Do one or the other and fail, and it'll be Monday-morning-quarterbacked from now until the next game, even if past games show neither one is a foolproof way to get away from the end zone.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. They won, that's all that matters. I will never think it's ok to throw from the pocket in that situation. Roll out, yes, just stand in the pocket? Nah. :lol: