Are we better or worse than last year?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Brock and Salk asked an interesting question this morning, so I thought I'd offer it up here.

After three weeks, are we better or worse than last year?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1pqn6rug said:
Brock and Salk asked an interesting question this morning, so I thought I'd offer it up here.

Better or worse than what point of last year?

Better than the team was at the end of the season? Better than the team was after 3 weeks? Better over 3 games than last year's team was over 16?

Greenhell

Reaction score
I think this team is having to adjust for the fact that as reigning champs every team they play is going to bring it even more now than last year. All teams are stepping up their game when they play Seattle. With that said, adjustments will be made. I'd say we're right where we need to be after 3 games. 2-1. I'd say we're just as good considering the schedule they played so far.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
We are nowhere near as polished as we were at the end of the season in the playoffs, especially on defense. I expect a lot of improvement as the season progresses: better form tackling, fewer coverage breakdowns, stronger overall play from the rookie RT, more dominant pass rush, better play at nickel as Burley continues to develop and Simon/Lane return, and more overall team cohesiveness.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Our starters are better via experience but our depth is not. And that's a big deal. Doesn't mean we can't win it all again but we can't afford some of the mistakes we are making that we got away with last year because at some point that lack of depth is going to mean giving something up. Last year we could make a mistake because with great depth we were already on the + side of game changing plays. Now we are about even like most decent teams.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Our offense is better but our pass rush is weaker. All in all, I say better.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":30huknra said:
Sgt. Largent":30huknra said:

Better than the team was at the end of the season? Better than the team was after 3 weeks? Better over 3 games than last year's team was over 16?

To be fair, I'd say same point in the season.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lr11wrk said:
volsunghawk":2lr11wrk said:
Sgt. Largent":2lr11wrk said:

Same time last year, we were 3-0 with a dominant 26-point win over the 49ers. The defense was playing at one of the highest levels of all time-- Cliff Avril had made his debut and the overall depth on the defensive line and at cornerback was pretty unbelievable. But there were signs that the offensive line was in deep trouble, which we would see over the next month.

Hmmm, I would actually take this year's team over last year's team at the same point in the season because of the improved offensive line play, Harvin's presence, and Wilson's continued development.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2gp4xu78 said:
Hmmm, I would actually take this year's team over last year's team at the same point in the season because of the improved offensive line play, Harvin's presence, and Wilson's continued development.

To be devil's advocate though, you probably wouldn't take this defense over last year's D. We're quite a bit thinner at the DB and D-line position, which could prove troublesome if a couple guys go down.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28rmqksd said:
hawknation2014":28rmqksd said:

To be devil's advocate though, you probably wouldn't take this defense over last year's D. We're quite a bit thinner at the DB and D-line position, which could prove troublesome if a couple guys go down.
^^
I agree Sgt. I don't think at any point last year our defense was ranked 27th for 3rd down conversion percentage like it has been so far this season. We are also ranked 8th in total defense. I know this years schedule is tough but last year was a difficult one as well.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Last year, it went Panthers, SF, Jaguars. Teams that ended up 12-4, 12-4, 4-12 but after 3 games were 1-2, 1-2, 0-3. This year, it's 1-2, 2-1, 2-1. So the schedule has been tougher to date. I mention the above, because if the 2014 teams end up 9-7, 11-5, 13-3, then that's a pretty rough stretch in which the team achieved overall success.

Still, I would go with 2013 through 3 games because the 2014 team has some gelling to do. They're still in the stages of evaluating their strengths and weaknesses, where the 2013 team had gotten it mostly figured out in 2012 - if that makes sense. Personally, after watching the game yesterday, I think 2014 will end up superior.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":w3pd0cuq said:
volsunghawk":w3pd0cuq said:
Sgt. Largent":w3pd0cuq said:

Well, last year, we had 2 home games and 1 road game. Both home games were blowouts, but they were of a 49ers squad that struggles offensively in Seattle and the Jags. The road games was against a Carolina team with a strong D but limited offense, resulting in a low-scoring win.

This year, we had 2 home games and 1 road game. One home game was a blowout and the other required OT, but I'd venture to say we faced FAR tougher competition at home this season than we did last year. And as for our road game, well, we were able to move the ball much better against SD than we did against Carolina the year before... the big difference was that Rivers-to-Gates is a far deadlier combo than anything Carolina was able to throw at us.

I'd say that while our record is worse than at this point last season, our offense has shown significant improvement over last year's squad. And while our defense hasn't performed at last year's level thus far, they've faced a far tougher slate of opposing offenses.

smashmouth59

Reaction score
The offense is better with Percy and the Oline health. We aren't missing Tate, Breno, and M-Rob that much. Above all Wilson is better and Lynch is as good or better than last year.

The defense is a little worse. I think we really miss Thurmond though Lane or Simon would be close. Burley is playing decent but is hurt now?… So depth at CB is the obvious issue. I also had a personal affinity for Clemons. He brought a lot the pass rush and was very versatile, though I don't think lack of pass rush is the problem. We are getting plenty of push up the middle.

Overall, we are better.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
smashmouth59":2goxvlm1 said:
. We are getting plenty of push up the middle. .

Really?

I see our interior D as one of the glaring weak spots this year. Good with run defense, but I don't see the pocket collapse like last year on passing plays.......which is allowing these good QB's an extra second or two to find their receivers, which is why our 3rd down D is up and down so far this year.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Same. Offense took a step forward, Defense took a step back. If offense continues to improve and defense picks back up, then we'll be better. :)

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1wuybq9i said:
Sgt. Largent":1wuybq9i said:
volsunghawk":1wuybq9i said:
Sgt. Largent":1wuybq9i said:

Well, last year, we had 2 home games and 1 road game. Both home games were blowouts, but they were of a 49ers squad that struggles offensively in Seattle and the Jags. The road games was against a Carolina team with a strong D but limited offense, resulting in a low-scoring win.

This year, we had 2 home games and 1 road game. One home game was a blowout and the other required OT, but I'd venture to say we faced FAR tougher competition at home this season than we did last year. And as for our road game, well, we were able to move the ball much better against SD than we did against Carolina the year before... the big difference was that Rivers-to-Gates is a far deadlier combo than anything Carolina was able to throw at us.

I'd say that while our record is worse than at this point last season, our offense has shown significant improvement over last year's squad. And while our defense hasn't performed at last year's level thus far, they've faced a far tougher slate of opposing offenses.
/thread

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Last year we barely eked out a win against a very solid Panthers team on the road. This year we barely dropped a tough game against a very solid Chargers team on the road. Last year we faced a tough 49ers team and a creampuff Jaguars team at home. This year we faced a tough Packers team and an AFC Champion Broncos team that's even better this year at home.

Last year the quarterbacks we faced were Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, and whoever was slinging interceptions for the Jaguars last year. This year we faced HOF shoe-in Aaron Rodgers, HOF shoe-in Peyton Manning, and HOF potential candidate Philip Rivers.

We're 2-1 vice being 3-0 like we were last year, but the difference between being the way it is and being 3-0 this year and 2-1 last year to this point is about two plays.

Considering the competition, we're better this year. Much better.

chris98251

Reaction score
Offense is improved, run defense looks good, secondary I need more data, the emphasis on incidental contact and Pass interference and other aspects have yet to really play out for us, I appears were playing safe and not as aggressive which isn't our personality on defense or hasn't been. We give a lot of cushion and the bump is almost non existent. Now is that the respect of the QB's we have faced or the fear that the officials will pull a flag?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Not sure...it's a long season and it's only week 3. Come back to me after the playoffs