Jon Ryan punt (@ sealevel) after the safety.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/514092764384870400[/tweet]

Seahawks1Fan

Reaction score
Ryan was unbelievable yesterday. One of our game day MVP's if you ask me.
He flipped field position all day long.
That free kick after the safety was unreal.
Ryan is mannnnnn.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Could've used some of those kicks last week. Jon Ryan is the man.

byau

Reaction score
Coach said in the post-press conference that Ryan was his MVP, should get the game ball, and that a safety isn't necessarily bad if you can flip the field.

That punt-after-safety... unworldly. Even in the broadcasters voice you could hear their surprise/respect. And watching the returner keep backing up. And backing up. And backing up.

*humming "Oh Canada"*

Largent80

Reaction score
He was "in the zone" yesterday and Haushka kicked one thru the uprights on a kickoff !!!!!!

Clayfighter

Reaction score
HAHA! Me and my fadduh-in-law were watching and not paying too close attention and were like "what? Wait. That was a punt?" :th2thumbs:

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Carroll: "The gorgeous kick on the safety, it changed that whole opportunity right there, I think they got the ball on the 20. It was a ridiculously long kick. I was really happy for him to have that on Canada Day. Can we have Canada Day next time we show up here?”

LEGEN . . . wait for it . . . DARY.

:th2thumbs:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I hope Jon Ryan plays forever. He seems to get better and better every year.

Still can't believe we got him because Green Bay cut him for an old guy that was out of the league the next year. We totally lucked out on that one.

253hawk

Reaction score
6 punts, 47.7 avg, 5 inside the 20, long of 66 yards (also a 61 and a 58.) Not bad for a Canadian ex-mullet ginger.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3sqqvf4q said:
It was like a kickoff. It blew my mind.

Actually if Im not mistaken you can either punt, or place the ball on a tee after a safety.

Punting is usually a better distance due to the ball starting higher in the air and the kicker being able to have better leverage in his swing, and hitting it probably just a tad better on his foot.

Plus the hang time is better.

Correct me if Im wrong on the safety free kick, dont have time to look that up now...

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Jacknut16":8giuiv0j said:
bmorepunk":8giuiv0j said:
It was like a kickoff. It blew my mind.

Actually if Im not mistaken you can either punt, or place the ball on a tee after a safety.

Punting is usually a better distance due to the ball starting higher in the air and the kicker being able to have better leverage in his swing, and hitting it probably just a tad better on his foot.

Plus the hang time is better.

Correct me if Im wrong on the safety free kick, dont have time to look that up now...

The other options are to dropkick or placekick without a tee.
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/safety

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
byau":2i5umjcn said:
Coach said in the post-press conference that Ryan was his MVP, should get the game ball, and that a safety isn't necessarily bad if you can flip the field.

That punt-after-safety... unworldly. Even in the broadcasters voice you could hear their surprise/respect. And watching the returner keep backing up. And backing up. And backing up.

*humming "Oh Canada"*

I agree...lets say we punt at the 1 yard line and he only gets it to the 40 or so and Denver returns it to the 50 or into SEA terrirtory...they only have to go 20 or so yards and are in easy FG range.

RiverDog

Reaction score
We do have to add a tiny little asterisk and note that it was a very warm day, and that the ball carries further on warm days. Both place kickers were booming the ball, too.

Nevertheless, Ryan's punting was a true defensive weapon. 5 out of 6 punts downed inside the 20.