This can now be put to Rest

Largent80

Reaction score
Running back by committee. This was the proposal before the season, however Lynch is the guy. C.M. was supposed to be ingrained into the offense, so far he hasn't seen the field.

Of course that could change since he is supposedly ready and with the bye, he could get involved.

Turbin is what he is.

This is Marshawns team.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I know its a little premature...but I'm a little worried about life after Marshawn. It's so fun watching him run

volsunghawk

Reaction score
If Michael doesn't show the team something significant this season and Lynch stays consistent through the season (kinda like last year), I don't see how the team doesn't give Lynch an extension of a couple of seasons. I know the common wisdom is that Lynch can't last too much longer with his running style, but what if the common wisdom is wrong?

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
He was insane in Sundays game. His footwork, his cutbacks, his Beasting..... :179417:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":krzpg0d4 said:
If Michael doesn't show the team something significant this season and Lynch stays consistent through the season (kinda like last year), I don't see how the team doesn't give Lynch an extension of a couple of seasons. I know the common wisdom is that Lynch can't last too much longer with his running style, but what if the common wisdom is wrong?

How can Michael show us something if he's not playing?

The only way he's going to play is if we get into blowout games, which in the NFL are pretty rare, even against the bad teams. Michael's time is running out, and the dude just isn't anywhere near Lynch in ANY facet of the game, running, blocking, pass protection, clutch, ball security.

Next year is going to be the case of we give Lynch the big extension he wants and suffer somewhere else on the team (Wagner, Avril, Maxwell, KJ, etc).........or we gamble like hell and hope Turbin and Michael can be 80% of what Lynch did and hope that's enough to maintain our level of play.

drdiags

Reaction score
I just wonder about his back issues. Even the baddest, toughest of them all have to cede to father time. Until robots replace humans, just no way to expect the player not to succumb to the physical brutality of the game.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
There will be a major drop off in our running game the day Lynch is gone. I don't care who replaces him. There will be a drop off and it will be noticeable.

I wish the guy could play forever, he is one of a kind.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2o3ov0m2 said:
volsunghawk":2o3ov0m2 said:

How can Michael show us something if he's not playing?

The only way he's going to play is if we get into blowout games, which in the NFL are pretty rare, even against the bad teams. Michael's time is running out, and the dude just isn't anywhere near Lynch in ANY facet of the game, running, blocking, pass protection, clutch, ball security.

Next year is going to be the case of we give Lynch the big extension he wants and suffer somewhere else on the team (Wagner, Avril, Maxwell, KJ, etc).........or we gamble like hell and hope Turbin and Michael can be 80% of what Lynch did and hope that's enough to maintain our level of play.

Honestly, as long as Michael is healthy and is doing what is asked of him in practice, I expect to see him spell Lynch a bit more this year, both to see what he's capable of and to keep Lynch healthier and fresher for the playoff run. Thus far, Michael hasn't been healthy, but we do know that the coaches were talking him up some in training camp. So I'm hopeful that we'll get to see him in real game situations a bit more, if for no other reason than to give Lynch a rest from time to time.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
drdiags":29aolna3 said:
I just wonder about his back issues. Even the baddest, toughest of them all have to cede to father time. Until robots replace humans, just no way to expect the player not to succumb to the physical brutality of the game.

Agreed. But the question is whether he succumbs as he hits the 3-0 mark, or if he has some kind of weird Thomas Jones longevity.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Is it just me or does CM have some Walter Thurmond in him? Can't stay healthy..... which is surprising considering his lack of work.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1lg3nylq said:
There will be a major drop off in our running game the day Lynch is gone. I don't care who replaces him. There will be a drop off and it will be noticeable.

I wish the guy could play forever, he is one of a kind.
It happens to every team in the salary cap era basically the smart move is not to extend him gamble that whatever we have left can put up some kind of running game and shift the offense to Wilson. It's the only way when you pay quarterbacks 20+ million a year.

rastahawk

Reaction score
I am hoping Pete and John have a plan. We had tons of worry (and arguments) about the qb situation then Russell Wilson dropped into our hands. So I am really hoping something similar happens. Unless C Mike turns out to be good, I doubt that guy is on this roster at the moment.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Of course RBs have often dropped their production somewhere around 30, but I think fans have inflated this historic trend in their minds as being some sort of magic number where lightning strikes the player down immediately upon reaching that age. That's not what happens, and there have been RBs throughout history who have incredibly productive 30+ seasons. Barry Sanders ran for 1,500 at age 30 and likely could have remained dominant had he not retired. Tiki Barber had his best years from 30-32. Emmitt Smith was very productive after 30.

Right now, Lynch looks better than he ever has IMO. Seattle manages him well, and training is at a different level than it was even a decade ago. And he's still just 28. I can't tell the future, but it's very feasible that he has multiple elite years left and that, at the very least, he will still be at the top of his game next season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1j5t0qa8 said:
Honestly, as long as Michael is healthy and is doing what is asked of him in practice, I expect to see him spell Lynch a bit more this year, both to see what he's capable of and to keep Lynch healthier and fresher for the playoff run. Thus far, Michael hasn't been healthy, but we do know that the coaches were talking him up some in training camp. So I'm hopeful that we'll get to see him in real game situations a bit more, if for no other reason than to give Lynch a rest from time to time.

I'd like to believe you, cause we really need to see more of Michael to make sure he really is the back of the future. But I just don't see it, he's still #3 on the depth chart........so like I said unless it's a blowout Lynch is going to get 90% of the carries with Turbin getting a series or two per game.

On Championship caliber teams there's just no room to experiment or develop guys, it's who gives you the best chance to win period.......and Pete knows that's Marshawn by a mile.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":t5b7knkv said:
volsunghawk":t5b7knkv said:

I'd like to believe you, cause we really need to see more of Michael to make sure he really is the back of the future. But I just don't see it, he's still #3 on the depth chart........so like I said unless it's a blowout Lynch is going to get 90% of the carries with Turbin getting a series or two per game.

On Championship caliber teams there's just no room to experiment or develop guys, it's who gives you the best chance to win period.......and Pete knows that's Marshawn by a mile.

I completely disagree that there's no room to experiment or develop guys on championship caliber teams. On the contrary, that's how championship caliber teams REMAIN championship caliber teams. Otherwise, they just get old.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":h4ooax6z said:
Sgt. Largent":h4ooax6z said:
volsunghawk":h4ooax6z said:

I completely disagree that there's no room to experiment or develop guys on championship caliber teams. On the contrary, that's how championship caliber teams REMAIN championship caliber teams. Otherwise, they just get old.

Then why doesn't Michael have more than 18 snaps in his entire NFL career?

Pete develops his players in practice, and then best man wins. So sorry, there is no game experimentation unless that player has proven it in practice first.......and Michael hasn't done that.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
To be fair to C.M. his hamstring is his issue right now and this will give him 5 weeks from our first game through the bye to rest it because it needs that rest. he did practice some last week so there is that.

I think we were all hoping to possibly see RBBC, and we may, before the year is over, I hope not because it would possibly mean Lynch is tweaked.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Its so obvious how special of a runner Marshawn is. He has no weakness as a RB. He doesn't just break tackles and fight for extra yards, he has a lot of moves and underrated speed, agility, and vision. He is elite. We are so lucky to have him. He can also pass block and catch passes.

Its hard to justify letting our third string back get carries when our starter deserves as many as possible.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
volsunghawk":15unnz0k said:
drdiags":15unnz0k said:

Agreed. But the question is whether he succumbs as he hits the 3-0 mark, or if he has some kind of weird Thomas Jones longevity.
Or John Riggins, a power back that was effective nearly into his mid-30s.