Byron Maxwell. What's Your Take?

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I'm just curious to know what you geniuses think of Maxwell. To me, he gets a C+ (an A would equate to being a shut-down corner), as he's had a few lapses and just hasn't made enough plays. In particular, how he let the Denver receiver get so far behind him during their game-tying drive is beyond me. That was just brutal.

On the other hand, he gets picked on quite a lot and has done a fair job of rising to the challenge. He deserves credit for not giving up too many big plays, even if he hasn't made enough of his own (given how often he gets targeted).

So ultimately, I guess he's an above average CB, but I didn't get to watch much of the SD game and I was there in person for our two home games, and it's hard to track everything accurately when I'm buzzed. Am I being unfair? Is he better than I'm giving him credit for or worse?

Largent80

Reaction score
If you are referring to the actual TD the Donkos scored in the 4th quarter, point the finger at KJ Wright as it was HIM that was 10 feet behind his man.

Cartire

Reaction score
Maxwell wasnt in coverage on Tamme's TD. So I cant hold that against him. You shouldnt either.

Lets be honest here. In three games (and even after the claims that QB's would throw at Sherman), Maxwell has been the bonified target. I dont know the exact targets, but Manning I think only threw at sherman twice. 3 Elite QB's have done everything they can to target Maxwell. And only him. And for that, against the quality we have seen, he has done about as well as we could hope.

B+ (and it should go up now that the QB's are about to drop in quality)

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'd agree he's an above average CB at this point, but given he's only started less than a full season of games, there's room to improve.

The value in Maxwell, imo, is his ability to create turnovers. He's a bit like Brandon Browner in that sense. He'll give up a few completions that makes you think he's to much a liability, but then next play cause a fumble or make an INT.

OP
OP
MysterMatt

MysterMatt

Reaction score
It wasn't the TD play, but the long pass completion prior to that...it went about 30 yards or so.

kpak76

Reaction score
MysterMatt":uia74phr said:
I'm just curious to know what you geniuses think of Maxwell. To me, he gets a C+ (an A would equate to being a shut-down corner), as he's had a few lapses and just hasn't made enough plays. In particular, how he let the Denver receiver get so far behind him during their game-tying drive is beyond me. That was just brutal.

On the other hand, he gets picked on quite a lot and has done a fair job of rising to the challenge. He deserves credit for not giving up too many big plays, even if he hasn't made enough of his own (given how often he gets targeted).

So ultimately, I guess he's an above average CB, but I didn't get to watch much of the SD game and I was there in person for our two home games, and it's hard to track everything accurately when I'm buzzed. Am I being unfair? Is he better than I'm giving him credit for or worse?

I give him a B to a B+. I dont put that reception against the Donks on him. If anything that was the coaches not being prepared for that type of play. Can't believe they fell for it twice though, that makes me mad. Max has done what is asked of him in this defense, limit the big plays and tackle everything in front of you. He would be the #1 Corner on most teams out there not named the Seahawks.

OP
OP
MysterMatt

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Good point about turnovers...forcing fumbles at least. Maxwell is good at punching the ball out.

Cartire

Reaction score
MysterMatt":20ibjyzm said:
It wasn't the TD play, but the long pass completion prior to that...it went about 30 yards or so.

That was a perfectly timed throw on crossing verticals. Maxwell could have been a split second faster on the swap, but honestly, I dont even think Sherman would have made the switch off. Maxwell was on the wideout until the slot swapped 12 yards down the field, at which point ET handed him off to Maxwell and ET played shallow Zone with Kam over the top. Maxwells job at this point is to switch back to the outside and cover the slot reciever. He made the switch but was a hair late.

Like I said, because the timing of the throw was perfect, I dont think any corner (not jumping the route) would have made this play. Sometimes props should be given to a perfectly executed play.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Rodgers, Rivers, and Manning throw to maxwell's side 90 times or so in the first three weeks hes going to give a few up.

You are talking about 3 of the top 5 QB's in the NFL last year in terms of completion % and QB Rating

Rating:

2. Manning
4. Rivers
5. Rodgers

Completion %:

1. Manning
3. Rivers
5. Rodgers

lets not beat up Maxi too much just yet. We are also adjusting to new rules and are still figuring out the pass rush rotation.

raisethe3

Reaction score
I had high hopes on him considering how well he did last year in such limited time. But when the season started, it appears his level of intensity dropped. Not sure why, I see him sometimes he would play 5 yards off the line of scrimmage as opposed to trying to press the receivers at the line like he did last year.

Like you guys mentioned, considering how he gets picked on a lot. He seems to be holding up very well. But again, I know he is more than capable to hold his own. He has a knack of forcing turnovers (fumble @ SB, interceptions). He has 5 interceptions in the last 6 games, if I am not mistaken. If he plays the same fire/desire like he had last year, I think he could well end up being a B+/A- corner give or take.

Largent80

Reaction score
Watch the replay of the game. Every time Manning went back to pass, if it wasn't a slant he was looking in Maxies direction. He is going to be targeted, and sooner or later what comes around goes around.

He is holding up quite well.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He does his job. Sacrifices underneath stuff in favor of keeping everything in front of him. He's played three of the best QBs in the game so far, so that has to be factored in. Not in a rush to judge his play just yet.

Browner, from 2011-2012, was a difference maker. Thurmond played at a pretty high level while starting for BB last year (but also played against lesser competition). I'd put Maxwell's play somewhere below Thurmond as a starter and quite a bit below BB from 2011-2012, but again, Maxwell has played against the best of the best so far.

If he gets exploited by the likes of Cousins, Romo and whoever is QBing for the Rams, then we might have an issue.

Cartire

Reaction score
Made a quick Rip of the all-22. You can see for yourself what happened. Maxwell could have made a faster swap, but it was still a great play.

[youtube]A1kpQ7WEIxM[/youtube]

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Cartire":29ieiqrt said:
Made a quick Rip of the all-22. You can see for yourself what happened. Maxwell could have made a faster swap, but it was still a great play.

[youtube]A1kpQ7WEIxM[/youtube]

Awesome. Thanks for that. If you have time, could you make a clip of the All-22 TD pass at the end of the game??

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
kpak76":32wsh7wb said:
MysterMatt":32wsh7wb said:

I give him a B to a B+. I dont put that reception against the Donks on him. If anything that was the coaches not being prepared for that type of play. Can't believe they fell for it twice though, that makes me mad. Max has done what is asked of him in this defense, limit the big plays and tackle everything in front of you. He would be the #1 Corner on most teams out there not named the Seahawks.

The coaches were actually fully aware of that play...Pete said so in his presser

kearly

Reaction score
I agree with everything Cartire said. I'd add that it seems like Maxwell's fundamentals have improved this year. Last year he had to grab the crap out of players to defend them, this year he's played tight man coverage without grabbing. I think he's maybe a top 10 corner in the NFL right now.

kidhawk

Reaction score
My current thoughts on Maxwell can be summed up in two short sentences

He's not as good as I thought he was

He's not as bad as I've thought he looked the last two weeks.

Honestly, he's done alright, but it's so many throws to that side and the middle that it makes him seem to have more faults than he actually has.

OP
OP
MysterMatt

MysterMatt

Reaction score
All fair observations, folks, and thanks. Cartire, I very much appreciate the video and see your point. Denver did have a great play drawn up and Maxwell just didn't make the adjustment as fast as he needed...but wasn't completely duped as it appeared to me at the game.

Calling him a top 10 CB seems a little far fetched, as I don't think he's made enough big plays, but whatevs. I still think he's short of the top tier, but perhaps he's a little more above average than I'm giving him credit for. I hope he continues to grow throughout the season!

kearly

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2fhwmks9 said:
Calling him a top 10 CB seems a little far fetched,

There aren't very many good corners in this league.