Russell Wilson vs. Andrew Luck: The Debate Rages on!

kidhawk

Reaction score
NFL.com has had a poll up this week (It was there earlier today, but not sure for how long) asking which qb you'd rather have, Luck or Wilson. Luck was at almost 60% of the vote.

Luck's a very good qb and I'd take him on a team in a second, but Wilson is amazing at what he does and I wouldn't trade him for Luck right now

ManBunts

Reaction score
Andrew Luck is a great QB. He'll undoubtedly be one of the names we talk about for years to come. The Colts made no notable changes between the year they lost Manning and added Luck, other than the QB, and he turned them from nothing to something.

But when it comes down to stats, Russell takes the cake. I don't get how people can still say Luck is better when you view it in concrete terms like this. The only mildly relevant argument I've heard is that Luck does it all without our defense and without Lynch. True. They're just as important to our success as Wilson is in my opinion. But that said, Reggie and TY are no pushovers. And they play in the AFC South: Texans, Titans, Jags. You actually have to try harder to lose in that division than you do to win.

daveca5150

Reaction score
I like Wilson for so many reasons. Character, leadership, ability, toughness, versatility, lack of a neck beard...But the best thing about having Wilson on your team instead of Luck?

All the terrible 'Luck' puns the announcers can't stay away from :lol:

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
ManBunts":202pzwue said:
Andrew Luck is a great QB. He'll undoubtedly be one of the names we talk about for years to come. The Colts made no notable changes between the year they lost Manning and added Luck, other than the QB, and he turned them from nothing to something.

But when it comes down to stats, Russell takes the cake. I don't get how people can still say Luck is better when you view it in concrete terms like this. The only mildly relevant argument I've heard is that Luck does it all without our defense and without Lynch. True. They're just as important to our success as Wilson is in my opinion. But that said, Reggie and TY are no pushovers. And they play in the AFC South: Texans, Titans, Jags. You actually have to try harder to lose in that division than you do to win.

So hard ...trying to resist .....

Cant do it

The Colts only returned like 20 players from that 2-14 team...but dont let facts get in the way.....

bmorepunk

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2u5wl2sr said:

We need a new Luck v. Wilson thread on the hour every hour. I'm sure this will not get even older over the next decade.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
How about this.

Luck > RW
Seahawks > Colts

Guess which one actually wins you a SB?

Aaron Rodgers is supposedly hands-down the best QB in the NFL. I'm not upset about that. But our team is still way better than the Packers. Players win awards, Teams win games.

themunn

Reaction score
Luck took the 2-14 Colts to 11-5.
Why doesn't Alex Smith get the same respect for doing the same with the Chiefs?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
You know what the most fun thing about this Wilson vs. Luck debate is? You just don't hear Krapperdink mentioned in the same breath as those 2 guys any more.

:49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall:

endzorn

Reaction score
This debate rages on in my very being to the point I can never enjoy another game of football until it is settled. The margin is so tiny, yet the debate itself has caused a crisis among us. Sweet Jesus take me home, I can't live with this question haunting my soul.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
themunn":2tqp5b3g said:

Lack of neckbeard? :lol:

But in all seriousness, You and I BOTH know why. Which is why this debate annoys me so much.
What's MORE annoying tho are the asshats that enter EVERY thread on this topic and take shots at people who engage in the AGE OLD practice of comparing two great athletes. The thread title isn't written in some foreign language or hieroglyphics. If this topic annoys you so much, DO. NOT. CLICK. THE. THREAD.
To anyone savvy enough to create a message board user profile, that idea shouldn't be that difficult to grasp, or so one would think.

And seriously, anyone truly honest with themselves and has lived on this planet longer than a decade and knows anything about history, knows ONE of the glaring 'unspoken' reasons Luck gets so much propers over RW. You can play dumb if it makes you feel better, but some things are just facts. Deuces.

kpak76

Reaction score
hgwellz12":3w25inqv said:
themunn":3w25inqv said:

Lack of neckbeard? :lol:

But in all seriousness, You and I BOTH know why. Which is why this debate annoys me so much.
What's MORE annoying tho are the asshats that enter EVERY thread on this topic and take shots at people who engage in the AGE OLD practice of comparing two great athletes. The thread title isn't written in some foreign language or hieroglyphics. If this topic annoys you so much, DO. NOT. CLICK. THE. THREAD.
To anyone savvy enough to create a message board user profile, that idea shouldn't be that difficult to grasp, or so one would think.

And seriously, anyone truly honest with themselves and has lived on this planet longer than a decade and knows anything about history, knows ONE of the glaring 'unspoken' reasons Luck gets so much propers over RW. You can play dumb if it makes you feel better, but some things are just facts. Deuces.

Your not about to play the race card in this are you?

I would think the reason why there is such the debate is more draft postition than anything else. Luck was handed the reins of elite once he was the #1 overall pick in the draft. He just needed to make sure not to screw things up. RW being a 3rd rounder needs to prove that he belongs even after he has already proved that he belongs. Just my take on it.

Oh for me the answer to this debate is hands down Wilson > Luck.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Man, if I was an NFL player, I wouldn't want to be Colt.

Not that I wouldn't want to play with a good QB like Luck, but his teammates get thrown under the bus more than any other team by fans and pundits alike, if the Colts win, its because of Luck's superior poise. If the Colt's lose its because the rest of the team must suck.

Luck is a great leader and seemingly humble character, so I doubt his teammates feel any angst directly towards him but at the same time you know they're reading the narrative and what people say about them... and it has to itch at them at some point.

Disregarding Team Wins and the "objectivity" of turning a team around from a prentender to a contender... Wilson has been better and has done so with worse pass-protection, a pedestrian WR corps, and the uphill climb of actually earning the starting job behind two veterans as well as the task of earning the respect of his teammates.

Luck had to play in the shadow of Manning but at the same time they kind of blew up that team and had 35 new players from 2011 to 2012. So it wasn't like he was coming to an established team. Months before the draft, he was prepared to know exactly where he was going and when he got there he was handed the keys to the franchise.

Wilson's climb to the top has been much more difficult.

Luck's team in 2013 was probably good enough to go to the Superbowl, I mean they did beat Denver in the regular season, so. They had a chance... well... good enough if he doesn't throw 7 picks with 4 of them against New England.

And that's the ultimate difference between Wilson and Luck... as much as Luck helps his team, he just as well hurts it.

SeahawkarinaOfTime

Reaction score
It's nice to actually be able to have a debate like this. So many fans of other teams that have no franchise quarterback have to watch their QB struggle while wishing they had Wilson. I love that if there's under 2 minutes and game winning drive is needed, I know our QB can do it.

Wilson and Luck are both great quarterbacks and will be for years to come. I'm happy one of them is a Seahawk.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Did anyone listen to the discussion on First Take about Luck vs Wilson?
One of the worst discussions I have ever heard about this topic. It was just ridiculous how people outside of Seattle view Russell Wilson.
Stephen A. says it is not even close. Andrew Luck is heads down better than Wilson. He even called the question ridiculous and laughed at the statement from Denver's defensive back. Saying it was just an excuse and loser mentality to even bring up the idea that RW could be better than Luck.

Eric Allen was in Luck's corner. Making fun of Russell Wilson. Blaming his heights and intangibles, questioning his durability, wondering if Russell can still do it, once he gets older. Saying RW can't perform like this, once he becomes the highest paid player on his team.

They were all saying that RW wins ... because of the coaching philosophy, the Defense, Marshall Lynch, the LOB, ...

Skip Bailey was the one in Russell's corner...
When Brady was winning with Belichik, nobody ever saw anything wrong between Brady/Belichik relationship... When Manning was setting record in Indy, nobody ever accused Dungy 's philosophy. When Luck was winning in Indy his rookie year, nobody ever made the link to the current coach in AZ, who is winning with a backup QB ...

Some in the National Media are just simply dumb and Stupid.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":8scdjl01 said:
You know what the most fun thing about this Wilson vs. Luck debate is? You just don't hear Krapperdink mentioned in the same breath as those 2 guys any more.

:49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall:

They stopped talking about RG3 in that conversation as well.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Wilson had thrown 40 passes to wide receivers this year. Of those, 24 have gone to undrafted players. He's not the kind of guy who needs top-drawer receivers around him to get the job done.

Luck hasn't completed a pass to a wide receiver drafted after the 3rd round.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2ecy6e2c said:
Wilson had thrown 40 passes to wide receivers this year. Of those, 24 have gone to undrafted players. He's not the kind of guy who needs top-drawer receivers around him to get the job done.

Luck hasn't completed a pass to a wide receiver drafted after the 3rd round.
Didn't know this but thats really interesting. Luck also has a much better pass blocking line as well. Regardless I'll take Wilson mainly because he just makes better decisions.