Patrick Peterson: Just shut up

Mick063

Reaction score
All summer long we heard this BS about Sherman playing one side while Peterson follows the number one receiver. Peterson started this public discussion in a contract negotiating ploy. Everyone bought into the meme. The talking heads and bloggers could not let it go. Every message board you read repeated the same mantra. It is gospel, yet it isn't true.

Take a look at this:

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/sto ... -receivers

Where notable CBs have lined up
Snap counts, 2014 season

....................................................Left.............Right
Joe Haden, CLE ........................108 ..............86
Patrick Peterson, ARI ................177 ..............10
Darrelle Revis, NE......................129...............49
Richard Sherman, SEA..............198................ 3
Aqib Talib, DEN..........................198................ 0

There are those that back up what they say, on the playing field, and those that don't.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Well, it was true. Arizona have only started doing it with PP this year. It'll be nice to compare them a little more fairly.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
It's smart football...you put your best corner on the QB's right side. Since most QB's are right-handed, it forces him to look more to his left side where he has to throw across his body and now his blind-side is flipflopped as well.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
-The Glove-":2ckts504 said:
It's smart football...you put your best corner on the QB's right side. Since most QB's are right-handed, it forces him to look more to his left side where he has to throw across his body and now his blind-side is flipflopped as well.

Ding, ding we have a winner!

LargentFan

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1o3b04mc said:

This is clearly bologna.
Just ask the real experts...fans of other teams. Don't you know that just because it is obvious and makes total sense, it doesn't matter because the best corner ALWAYS follows the best receiver.
That's why your best lineman always follows the best passrusher.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Yeah it's not like in football you try to put strengths on a weakness. Sherman is basically used to lockdown a side of a field. He frees up Earl to be able to cheat over and Earl just makes everyone around him better. PP is a good corner but I don't believe he is in the stratosphere he believes he is. I'm also glad the cards believe him cause yeah him and Fitz have some cap numbers.

A

Anonymous

LargentFan":2hwvsstc said:
-The Glove-":2hwvsstc said:

This is clearly bologna.
Just ask the real experts...fans of other teams. Don't you know that just because it is obvious and makes total sense, it doesn't matter because the best corner ALWAYS follows the best receiver.
That's why your best lineman always follows the best passrusher.

Where in the H E double L is my "sarcasm" smilie...

THE TABS

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1j6tj726 said:

Exactly!

OP
OP
Mick063

Mick063

Reaction score
THE TABS":3ikewa43 said:
-The Glove-":3ikewa43 said:

Exactly!

Sure it is smart football and 180 degrees different from what Peterson described himself as a few months ago. His comments changed the public discourse on how to define the position. Now he isn't even meeting his own definition. In other words, the Cardinals finally have Peterson playing smart football. Regardless, the talking heads bought into this garbage and now that it has been demonstrated that Peterson plays a role similar to Sherman, they will still use the same lame argument, that Peterson follows the #1, convincing viewers across the nation of an outright falsehood.

Interesting that the only top corner that comes remotely close to meeting Peterson's definition of "shut down" is Haden....who isn't exactly having a good season.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I'd be happy to put him opposite Sherman and shut down the right side :D . Where would a QB throw at that point?

OP
OP
Mick063

Mick063

Reaction score
NorCalSeahawk":3h9fq1p0 said:
I'd be happy to put him opposite Sherman and shut down the right side :D . Where would a QB throw at that point?

They would do what opponents are already doing right now.

Use pick plays off the bunch formation and try to isolate Burly (verse slot receiver) or KJ Wright (verse tight end).

Burly has held up well. Wright held up well last season, but not so much this year.

Regardless, I don't believe Peterson would be dramatically better at right corner than Maxwell. I have watched enough games by both players to draw that conclusion. Peterson wouldn't cause more turnovers (stripping for fumbles after the catch counts), nor make more tackles short of the first down stick....especially in the run game. Maxwell is dynamite against bubble screens as well.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
NorCalSeahawk":3ple51vh said:

Why? The dude sucks and does his best to not tackle people. if I were an opposing QB I In wouldbthrow his direction every throw, he's just that bad. The hypemachine had this guy on s pedestal before he was drafted, and people are still buying into it.

I would rather have a trash can play his position. The trash can will at least make a difference in run D, as it could end up tripping someone or getting in the way. The same can't be said for PP.