We survived a game at Fed-Ex Field

Vpk0718

Reaction score
with a win and no serious injuries

I'm happy :thirishdrinkers:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We survived the worst officiating this team is ever likely to see.

Borderline calls are one thing. The calls in this game were flat out made up. False start for bobbing your head? Penalty for pinning a D-linemen?

Polaris

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3aen0lu9 said:

Borderline calls are one thing. The calls in this game were flat out made up. False start for bobbing your head? Penalty for pinning a D-linemen?

Oh boy, you don't say. There were at least two touchdowns called back by extremely tacky (and one-sided because Washington wasn't called for similar things) penalties.

Now, I normally don't want to gripe about officiating, but when it's as bad and one-sided as it was tonight, it has to be mentioned. For the record I don't think the officials were trying to help Washington so much as to keep the game close as long as possible. Just my somewhat cynical take.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2wnasjve said:

Yep. The NFL should be embarrassed on how bogus some of those calls were.
Yeah, I'm happy they got out of there with a win, and no major injuries on that crap field.

James in PA

Reaction score
It had an "XL" feel to it for sure. Just brutal. Absolutely inexcusable. How would you like to be a Percy Harvin fantasy owner?

Sprfunk

Reaction score
I don't think we were going to be allowed to blow them out. Good business for the NFL. Keep people watching. BS all night.
O well, got the w but god that was frustrating. Possibly one of the most frustrating wins in recent history.

253hawk

Reaction score
Agree with everyone. You see the center head bobbing and ground-pinning DL in every single game and that stuff is never called. Ever.

Plus that field sure looked green, but you could see dry dirt flying up from everyone's cleats. Amazing that no one got hurt (other than Trent Williams but screw that piece of crap, he had it coming.) So much for that sod holding up, looks like they will be replacing it mid-season.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Hendo66":39iflj98 said:
Don't forget "flinching" by the WR

That call was fine. It was either a false start or Harvin wasn't set after going in motion. Either way, the result is the same.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
253hawk":1i77ejqf said:
Agree with everyone. You see the center head bobbing and ground-pinning DL in every single game and that stuff is never called. Ever.

If Carpenter had gone on top of him as part of the motion of blocking him, it is not a penalty. The problem is that Carpenter put him on the ground, waited, and then dove on him.

The head bob was obviously an awful call though. All he did was look through his legs at Wilson.

Polaris

Reaction score
Jeremy517":18i8aaub said:
Hendo66":18i8aaub said:
Don't forget "flinching" by the WR

That call was fine. It was either a false start or Harvin wasn't set after going in motion. Either way, the result is the same.

Gotta disagree. If that's a false start (or not being set), then almost every play that involves a WR in motion would result in a false start. It was a ticky-tack call *at* *best*. So was the Unger "head bob".

CANHawk

Reaction score
All I ever hope for when playing in the Washington swamp is to come home in one piece. Ugly wins count just the same as the pretty ones.

It's a W and everyone comes home healthy. Cannot and will not complain. In my best Belicheck voice; "we're on to Dallas".

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Polaris":2a72cuqp said:
Gotta disagree. If that's a false start (or not being set), then almost every play that involves a WR in motion would result in a false start. It was a ticky-tack call *at* *best*. So was the Unger "head bob".

If you want to call that going in motion, then he has to get set before the ball was snapped, which he didn't. That is why I said it is either a false start or he wasn't set.

Polaris

Reaction score
Jeremy517":coazhdet said:
Polaris":coazhdet said:

If you want to call that going in motion, then he has to get set before the ball was snapped, which he didn't. That is why I said it is either a false start or he wasn't set.

Like I said, if that's a "false start" then so is every other play with a WR lined up wide or in the slot in the NFL. It was *at* *best* ticky-tack.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Jeremy517":27m550wq said:
253hawk":27m550wq said:

If Carpenter had gone on top of him as part of the motion of blocking him, it is not a penalty. The problem is that Carpenter put him on the ground, waited, and then dove on him.

How long did he wait?

It looked to me like a continuous movement. Try being as big as Carpenter and changing direction or stopping momentum quickly...I'm not sure it's physically possible. I'd really like to see the tape on that one again.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
The funny thing is gruden was so clueless, our te gets knocked down on 3rd and 4, totally leveled and he says it's in the 5 yards, then maxwell barely touches a wr on 3rd and short and he's demanding a penalty. The funny thing about trent Williams getting hurt on that play he literally tries to tackle Bruce Irvin, no holding called. Carps penalty on Harvin td seemed ridiculous as well.

Polaris

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1iwgwy56 said:
The funny thing is gruden was so clueless, our te gets knocked down on 3rd and 4, totally leveled and he says it's in the 5 yards, then maxwell barely touches a wr on 3rd and short and he's demanding a penalty. The funny thing about trent Williams getting hurt on that play he literally tries to tackle Bruce Irvin, no holding called. Carps penalty on Harvin td seemed ridiculous as well.

Gruden did a horrible job as an announcer all game. It was clear who he was rooting for...to the point where he was getting his broadcasting calls blatantly wrong. Yes blood is thicker than water, but John Gruden should never again announce a game where is brother is one of the coaches.

Two examples:

1. When Wilson started to rush forward on second down (in the 3rd Qtr I believe) and then backed up and completed a pass to Luke Wilson for a moderate gain [for a third and short], Gruden was yelling about Wilson being over the line and for an illegal forward pass. That was clearly wrong. Gruden as a former coach should know that the ENTIRE BODY of the QB has to be over the line of scrimmage before the QB becomes a runner and loses the right to make a forward pass. His Redskin glasses were getting in the way.

2. On Jackson's first TD, Gruden was doing his level best to try to tell us that Sherman was toasted on the play. Watch it again. He wasn't. Chancellor and Sherman swapped responsibilities in the 3 man zone. Now choosing to do that with Jackson might have been questionable judgement, but the initial coverage responsibility was on Chancellor.