Random Thoughts on the Washington game

kearly

Reaction score
Every now and then, you'll get a game where your WRs will suddenly forget how to catch a football. Maybe once a year you'll have a game with five brutal drops like tonight. (Oh and by the way, Russell Wilson still finished 18 for 24.)

Every now and then, you'll have a lot of backbreaking penalties that only seem to come at inopportune moments and eventually cause you to question the integrity of the officials. Maybe once or twice in your franchise's history, you might have three long TDs all by the same player all called back by penalties.

Every now and then, you'll play in a game where somebody is down on the turf every five minutes.

And maybe once in your life, you'll see a game where this all happens simultaneously.

How many other teams could survive a game like this on the road against an NFL team? Not many. And in a way I have to think this game was a sign of good fortune. Just imagine if this perfect storm of bad luck had occurred against almost any other opponent this year?

The combination of insanely clutch penalties, defensive breakdowns, timely drops and a great Wilson performance all reminded me of that super painful game from Indy last year. Indy's not really that good statistically, and they won that game by six. But this time, Seattle wasn't playing a decent team. And so they got away with it. In a way, I actually feel pretty thankful to win a game despite all that happened.

Even though Seattle won 27-17 in a game that looks boring on the stat sheet, this is a game I'll remember for decades. The next time Seattle is in a brutally painful game, Seattle at Washington on MNF in 2014 will be the measuring stick for me. All the same, Seattle won (by 10 points (!) ), and presumably avoided injury. Not because the other team screwed up, but because they simply are not in the same league as a franchise.

-Among the positives, this game was an affirmation of how good a coach Pete Carroll is and how bad of a coaching staff Jay Gruden has. Seattle was up 17-0 in the blink of an eye because apparently Washington hadn't watched any of the film of teams containing Wilson and spying him. They had a week and a half to prepare for this game! On the flip side, each of Kirk Cousins early game bootlegs were met immediately by bootleg blitzing.

-Marshawn Lynch is amazing, and without him I think this team is probably in a bit of trouble on offense. For all the talk of Wilson making clutch plays, Lynch has been every bit as trustworthy when the game is on the line.

-IMO, Percy Harvin just had his best game as a Hawk. Unfortunately for him, this game's officiating was overseen by probably the most incompetent head official in the league. That's not to say every clutch penalty that killed Seattle was a bad call, but too many of them were.

-A couple days ago, I very nearly made a topic on Bruce Irvin and now I'm really wishing I had. Despite being the most physically talented LB on Seattle's roster, he's basically been the #4 LB this year, and the reason quite simply is because when you watch him closely you can see him avoiding scrums and contact. To some, those might be viewed as business decisions.

But to me it more closely shows that his heart just isn't in the game, at least not at LB. The post I wanted to make was that the only way to salvage Irvin's talent would be to put him back at DE and see what happens. At least if he were playing there, he might regain his passion for the sport.

Well, tonight they put Irvin back at DE. Yes, his opposition wasn't exactly top shelf. But Irvin had a hell of a game.

-Big Balls Pete made an appearance tonight, calling a fake field goal with a 7 point lead. I can only imagine the firestorm that would have created had it backfired and Seattle lost. That said, I loved the call. The decision to pass with about a minute left and Washington out of timeouts though? Not so much. Thank you Russ for taking that sack.

-Jon Ryan had a hell of a game. Again.

-Bryan Walters had one play where he probably should have called fair catch and got away with it, but otherwise he was very good in this game. He's not Golden Tate by any stretch, but it's nice to know that the questions at punt returner might have finally been answered.

-Our run defense is amazing. Our pass rush played well despite the lack of stats to show for it.

-Kirk Cousins can sure drop some dimes when he feels like it.

-Desean Jackson burned the secondary pretty good, but then again he seems like exactly the kind of player that would.

-You know how Blue Jays fans invade Mariner home games and get really annoying? That's basically what the Seahawks did tonight in Washington. The loud-enough-to-hear-on-TV Sea! Hawks! chants were awesome to hear, but even better was hearing the home fans booing the visiting fans. Yeah, I bet that sucks for them. Classic.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
That fake FG was one of those plays that we LOVED....unless it hadnt worked.

Then we would have been up in arms :)

Love Jon Ryan, what a gamer

bmorepunk

Reaction score
It felt like we owned the stadium tonight. There were so many of us there it was surprising to me.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I feel better now. Thanks for that, Kearly...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hawkpower":16rpduq0 said:
Some of us love boss plays even when they fail.

Laloosh":16rpduq0 said:
Well, his post did coincide with the end of your adult film.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":r5s6crut said:
Hawkpower":r5s6crut said:
Some of us love boss plays even when they fail.

Laloosh":r5s6crut said:
Well, his post did coincide with the end of your adult film.

True. 8)

I just loved that it was Jon with the run.....he hit that hole like big Marshawn!!

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
# 3 unbelievable , he reminds so much of a taller Doug Flutie with a better arm , that play to Lynch ? WOW

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Now that the "regular season is upon us maybe we can get into a bit of rhythm. This season has been a bit weird due to scheduling. Now they can focus week in and week out without extended breaks. I remember Pete at last years bye week said he wishes we could keep playing without bye since we were playing well and in a rhythm. I like what some analyst said earlier this year (about whom I don not recall). He said good teams find a way to win games even when they play bad. And lets face it with a few exceptions we played bad but we still won. Lets let the team worry about cleaning up there bonehead mistakes and lets move on to Dallas.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":2i0kax1p said:
Now that the "regular season is upon us maybe we can get into a bit of rhythm. This season has been a bit weird due to scheduling. Now they can focus week in and week out without extended breaks. I remember Pete at last years bye week said he wishes we could keep playing without bye since we were playing well and in a rhythm. I like what some analyst said earlier this year (about whom I don not recall). He said good teams find a way to win games even when they play bad. And lets face it with a few exceptions we played bad but we still won. Lets let the team worry about cleaning up there bonehead mistakes and lets move on to Dallas.

yeah, get out of preseason have to be prepared to play Rogers, Rivers and Manning. Then a bye and play 2 games in 31 days. Go cross country for a Monday night. Tough way to start a season.

3-1, I'll take it.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I agree with your assessment of Marshawn's contribution. The man is uncanny in his ability to finish the big play when it's needed. Having him and Russell in the same backfield is a special treat that Seahawks fans should really take the time to enjoy.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I need to re-watch this game ASAP to make any truly intelligent conversation. I couldn't pay attention to what actually happened the first time around because the whole game seemed like a big comedy farce with those referees.

I agree with mostly everything the OP said except a few things.

- At the end of the day Harvin had 27 yards receiving, 7 yards rushing, and 0 yards for Kickoff Returns. That's a grand total of 34 yards. And while yes he did appear to get robbed multiple touchdowns (need to re-watch the game to see which of those calls were 100% a joke...), history will mark this down as a day Harvin had 34 all-purpose yards.

Even if Harvin had gotten 2 of those Touchdowns (2/3 of the nullified TD's were on the same drive) under the best circumstances that would have only been 67 more yards.

So 34 yards (he really got) + 67 yards (he potentially could of got without penalties) = 101 yards

I'm pretty sure Harvin averages more than 101 all-purpose yards for us this season so I'm not sure how you can say this was his best game as a Hawk, but at least it's optimistic which is nice after a game like this.

- I don't think our pass rush did that great at all. 1 Sack for a loss of 8 yards.

Kirk Cousins had a game that statistically was WELL ABOVE his career averages.

Tonight's Game VS Career Average (for Kirk Cousins):

- 102 Passer Rating > 75.3 Passer Rating
- 283 Passing Yards > 211 Passing Yards/Game
- 2 TD, 0 INT > 16 TD 15 INT Career
- 7.86 Y/A > 7.11 Y/A
- No Turnovers > Average of 1.67 Turnovers a game

The only stat Kirk Cousins didn't excel compared to his average was completion percentage which was virtually identical (.1% difference)

So in all respects Kirk Cousins had one heck of a night compared to his career average, this being against the best defense in the league. I'm beginning to have my doubts if we are still the best defense in the league after Kirk Cousins put up those kind of numbers on us.

- DeSean Jackson put up 157 receiving yards on us. That is more than double of his career average (69.6 yards per game).

The New York Giants limited DeSean Jackson to 9 yards and he only caught 1 of 4 targets.

In the first 4 games of the season DeSean Jackson was averaging 51.75 yards per game for a total of 207 yards.

Without one 81 yard catch against the Eagles he would be averaging 31.5 yards per game for a total of 126 yards (first 4 games).

So I don't see any legit excuse why DeSean Jackson should absolutely destroy us compared to his average games in both this season and his career.

Final Thoughts:

The Seahawks are now ranked 22nd in Opposing Passing Yards (255.5) and I am concerned about why our defense is no longer generating turnovers.

Gonna need to re-watch the game very closely before I make any further observations. But those are my initial thoughts about this game and how our defense is playing so far this year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I can't remember a time where there seemed to be a perfect storm of bad things happening (especially officiating) on the road and simultaneously feeling like Seattle was in complete control of the game from beginning to end. That is the sign of a truly elite team.

Cousins played above himself. Seattle couldn't get TOs despite balls literally bouncing off our LBs and safeties. The officiating was the most horrendous the Seahawks have seen since Indy, maybe since XL. We still win by 10 without breaking much of a sweat. Pretty amazing if you think about it.

I also thought Irvin shined at the DE spot. One of the few instances in his pro career where it felt like he was flashing all over the field -- in both run and pass. Hopefully, this is a breakthrough moment for him.

As for Marshawn -- this is my weekly "pay the man his money" comment.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Our offensive line play, or lack there of, is gonna cost us down the road here very soon. They have to play better and eliminate these stupid penalties.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
On another note, we are now #1 in total defense again thanks to our insane run D this year. Giving up 2.6 YPC and under 70 yPG.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Thanks as always for your thoughts kearly.

What do you suppose the chances are they leave Irvin at DE from this point forward?

Run D is amazing this year. Pass rush, not so much.

The turnovers are coming..........LBs and DBs are gonna start catching some of those and soon.

"the most incompetent head official in the league" indeed. I said to my viewing partners during the game that it was the worst Hawk screwing I'd seen since XL*. I'm not inclined to change my mind this morning.

Agree that Marshawn is hugely important to this offense, especially with an o-line that's quite obviously below average.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Agreed. What a weird freakin game.

One poster on this board is going to be annoyed, but I am going to say the turf at Fedex still sucks. There were lots of players on the ground grabbing legs after an attempt to gain traction got them a divot and a spill.

The Refs were incompetent on a handful of big calls, but between Unger and Okung they had plenty of real fouls to call too. As well as bad snaps.

Our ability to handle blitzing has me worried. It isn't all on the line, twice Russ had a RB hot route and ate the ball, it was like he wasn't ready for a blitz.

Not that it had any effect, but Pete had a head cold last week and Russell sounded like he did in his Sunday interview with Tirico. Hopefully a virus isn't making the rounds at VMAC.

Once again, small fast twisty guys give us fits deep down the field. Brandon LLoyd was watching closely.

Tip of the cap to Cousins. He did drop dimes.

The lack of turnovers will end eventually. Dropped a couple of near int early in this one.

There seemed like quite a few opportunities to salt this game away by running, but Triplette would have none of that.

Note to Bevell: There is still room in this offense for a standard drop back passing game. It doesn't all have to be misdirection, smoke and mirrors.

capncrunch

Reaction score
Great posts. I went to the game. I tried to get a ticket on the "Seahawk Side" but ended up on the other. The couple right in front of me were Hawks fans. I was amazed how many Seahawk fans were there. You have to leave before the game is over to catch the last train, which kind of sucks, but yeah. It was a great night to be there. I recommend the Club Level. Very good observations as always. Another area of mistakes were the fumbles off snap. There were two on the same drive early in the game and some later. What the h###. It wasn't cold or wet at all down on the field. I think there was some people begging for a deep ball to PH. Well, we had a nice one over the top, but called back. His other two runs in to the end zone were great too. Great night to be there. Thanks again.

hawker84

Reaction score
That was the most frustrated i can remember being in a long time. Not Even San Diego game brought me to screaming at the TV.

Why? I don't know for sure until i rewatch the game, but it just seemed to me we were clearly the better team by a long way's in every phrase. I mean it wasn't even close. And to keep those clowns close all game because of stupid penalties, how many false starts Okung? How many botched snaps and false starts Unger? Unacceptable.

I'll just chalk this game up to bye week rust and move on. My intitial thoughts:

Harvin - best game as a Seahawk, one bad drop
Baldwin/Willson - catch the damn ball

O line - grrrrrrrr

D line - solid pressure all day, great run support

Secondary - solid for 3 quarters, what's with the huge wheel route blown coverage , that's like 3/4 times now, figure it out.

linebackers - Man what a game by Wags and Wright.

Special teams - shined again, Lockett is going to kill someone one day.

Lynch/Wilson - special players plain and simple

Coaching staff - getting a little too cute with the gimmick stuff, let's get back to pounding the ball and throws down field.

Happy for the win, hope they got the rust out of their systems, Dallas will be no pushover i'm afraid.