Ryan Clark: We got beat by the best player in the NFL...

Laloosh

Reaction score
“We got beat by a better team,” safety Ryan Clark said. “We got beat by, as far as I’m concerned this weekend, the best player in the NFL. Russell Wilson made every play he had to make for his team to win, and we didn’t.”

Smellyman

Reaction score
Chris Harris said same after Bronco game.

going to become a theme.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
"We got beat by a better team,” safety Ryan Clark said. “We got beat by, as far as I’m concerned this weekend, the best player in the NFL. Russell Wilson made every play he had to make for his team to win, and we didn’t.”

That's class. Respect, sir.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Smellyman":bw9tqqhz said:

going to become a theme.

Chris Harris said that Luck wasn't better than Russell. There is a difference.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Certainly the respectable way to a respond to a loss, tipping your cap instead of making excuses.

"Best player in the NFL" is overstating the matter, but I'm glad to see him get this kind of love.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Laloosh":3it6jv7v said:
Smellyman":3it6jv7v said:

going to become a theme.

Chris Harris said that Luck wasn't better than Russell. There is a difference.

No difference. Everybody knows Andrew Luck is the greatest football player since Jim Brown.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":28gimetv said:
Everybody knows Andrew Luck is the greatest football player since Jim Brown.

Andrew Luck will never win a Super Bowl and still go to the Hall of Fame, it's part of the self fulfilling prophecy.

Smellyman

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1chrj1od said:
Smellyman":1chrj1od said:

Andrew Luck will never win a Super Bowl and still go to the Hall of Fame, it's part of the self fulfilling prophecy.

he could retire today and 100's of years from now, they will still sing songs about the football conquests of Andrew Luck.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
There's an interesting dichotomy here. The talking heads, who for the most part are starting to come around (except for Pete Prisco, but who cares?) have spent the last 2+ years downplaying Russell Wilson's success. They've used terms like "game manager," given the credit to the rest of the team around him, you know the drill. As I said they are mostly coming around, finally, but not without making as many excuses as they could.

The players, meanwhile, have made no such excuses. They voted him the 20th best player and 5th beat QB in the league on "NFL Top 100." Chris Harris says that Wilson is better than Luck. Now Clark is calling him the best player in the NFL. There is just a lot more respect from the people who play the game with and against Wilson than the people who are paid to talk about the game, and that respect was given a lot less grudgingly.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":25ws7y29 said:
There's an interesting dichotomy here. The talking heads, who for the most part are starting to come around (except for Pete Prisco, but who cares?) have spent the last 2+ years downplaying Russell Wilson's success. They've used terms like "game manager," given the credit to the rest of the team around him, you know the drill. As I said they are mostly coming around, finally, but not without making as many excuses as they could.

The players, meanwhile, have made no such excuses. They voted him the 20th best player and 5th beat QB in the league on "NFL Top 100." Chris Harris says that Wilson is better than Luck. Now Clark is calling him the best player in the NFL. There is just a lot more respect from the people who play the game with and against Wilson than the people who are paid to talk about the game, and that respect was given a lot less grudgingly.

what a douche Prisco is. he goes out of his way to constantly tweet about how bad RW is and plays he screwed up. He will never admit RW is a good qb and it is just making him look like a fool now.

if you want to laugh, cry or stare blankly go to his twitter feed.

davidonmi

Reaction score
weird, because according to pete prisco good QB's have to throw exclusively from the pocket

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":21zls88i said:
SomersetHawk":21zls88i said:
Smellyman":21zls88i said:

he could retire today and 100's of years from now, they will still sing songs about the football conquests of Andrew Luck.

"Andrew Luck is the greaaaatest quarterback in the world,
All the oooother quarterbacks play like little girls..." and so on.

I actually like Andrew Luck and he's fun to watch because Indy's running game is so piss-poor. He's goofy and easy to route for, kinda like a smart Forest Gump. And when Russ perennially beats him in Superbowls I'll even feel a little sorry for him.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I realize this is a totally homerish thing to say, but honestly, who is a more significant individual contributor in this league? Put Andrew Luck behind our O-Line and watch the guy get killed. Put Peyton Manning behind that O-Line, and it's the same deal. On the play where Russ turned a broken 3rd down pass in to a sideline scramble and toss to Beast for a large chunk of yards plus a potentially game saving first down, it is safe to say that Russell is the only QB in the NFL who could make that play happen. The only one. His scrambling ability is not a quirk to his game because he can't throw from the pocket (he can throw quite well from it). His scrambling ability gives us the freedom to let our O-Line sell out on run blocking, and there is not another team in the NFL who can do it like we do.

Russell is a dynamic, generational talent. His closest comparison in the modern era is Brett Favre, and that comparison is based solely on his fearlessness and ability to magically transform a busted play in to a huge gain.

God, I love watching this kid play football. It truly is a joy to witness. I knew from the moment I watched his college film, post-draft, that he would be a superstar.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":311g2woo said:
Certainly the respectable way to a respond to a loss, tipping your cap instead of making excuses.

"Best player in the NFL" is overstating the matter, but I'm glad to see him get this kind of love.

Not so sure it is overstating it anymore.

With what he is able to accomplish with that O-line??? He is in the discussion for sure.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I don't know whether Luck could do as well as Russ behind the Hawks' o line. I do know that he is not a Manning-like statue. He is underestimated as an athlete.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":3ohlpi4i said:
I realize this is a totally homerish thing to say, but honestly, who is a more significant individual contributor in this league? Put Andrew Luck behind our O-Line and watch the guy get killed. Put Peyton Manning behind that O-Line, and it's the same deal. On the play where Russ turned a broken 3rd down pass in to a sideline scramble and toss to Beast for a large chunk of yards plus a potentially game saving first down, it is safe to say that Russell is the only QB in the NFL who could make that play happen. The only one. His scrambling ability is not a quirk to his game because he can't throw from the pocket (he can throw quite well from it). His scrambling ability gives us the freedom to let our O-Line sell out on run blocking, and there is not another team in the NFL who can do it like we do.

Russell is a dynamic, generational talent. His closest comparison in the modern era is Brett Favre, and that comparison is based solely on his fearlessness and ability to magically transform a busted play in to a huge gain.

God, I love watching this kid play football. It truly is a joy to witness. I knew from the moment I watched his college film, post-draft, that he would be a superstar.

I'd actually disagree. Luck is bigger and stronger than Russ, is an underrated athlete (had the same combine numbers as Cam Newton), and has a better pocket prescence than Wilson does. Wilson still tends to bail from the pocket too soon, but I don't knock him because I think it's a field vision issue. I think Luck would thrive behind our OL, and be able to run the read option almost as well. I still think Wilson is a better QB because he's more accurate and throws less INT's, but that's about it.

formido

Reaction score
Hawks46":269h3a5n said:
SmokinHawk":269h3a5n said:

I'd actually disagree. Luck is bigger and stronger than Russ, is an underrated athlete (had the same combine numbers as Cam Newton), and has a better pocket prescence than Wilson does. Wilson still tends to bail from the pocket too soon, but I don't knock him because I think it's a field vision issue. I think Luck would thrive behind our OL, and be able to run the read option almost as well. I still think Wilson is a better QB because he's more accurate and throws less INT's, but that's about it.

We all know Luck is a good athlete. That's not a secret to anyone. Wilson is still quicker and can escape from pressure that Luck can't. Luck has good running efficiency because he picks his spots . Wilson can run and escape on virtually any play, say, for instance, a 3rd down screen pass where the receiver, Harvin, was tackled while the refs swallowed their whistle[1]. Last season Wilson had trouble with Arizona's and St. Louis's defensive lines. Luck was obliterated, making costly turnovers in both games when the outcome was in the balance and resulted in 30 point losses. And Indy's pass blocking is better than Seattle's.

I can't say for certain how Luck would do behind Seattle's line, but I definitely lean toward "he'd be worse", and even a little worse means no Super Bowl last year. Luck is a great player, but Wilson was a little better than Luck in comparable circumstances their senior year of college, and he's been a little better in the pros.

[1] Seriously, when have you seen a QB turn a broken screen pass into an explosive play to another receiver? On 3rd down. On the road. With the game on the line[2].
[2] Unbelievable that Gruden was trying to say that play should have been called back. Carpenter doesn't hold if Harvin isn't tackled. The outcome of that play was fair.