Is Russell Wilson worth 6 years $129m???

iigakusei

Reaction score
Just give him a blank cheque and let him fill in his own amount - he is worth it.

Cartire

Reaction score
Of course hes worth it, however, more teams are realizing the correct approach to building a team is not over inflated QB contracts. So Im hoping there can be some compromises and we dont go balls out with the payments. One upping every QB contract with each new one is become super toxic. Even with the salary cap projections, I would hope JS and RW's agent can come to terms with understanding the long term success of a QB through winning is more valuable then the first big contract that eventually deteriorates a team.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I have said all along and will stand by it, Russ will not max it out in order to leave money for other guys (like KJ). 19 per is my prediction.

Several people have disagreed like DrDiags. He is predicting 21-22 IIRC. That would not surprise me particularly considering the expected rise in the cap, but I'm still saying under 20 per.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Chawks1":22fi6c8v said:
Absolutely!!! Here's a great breakdown of RW vs. other QB's from Spotrac. They forecast what his contract extension will be. At the end of the article. I think he is worth every penny and we are lucky to have a QB as outstanding as he is.

http://www.spotrac.com/premium/research ... ilson-477/

Go Hawks!
Agreed. In fact I expect 6 years/132 million 60+ guaranteed. I'm hoping Wilson realizes he doesn't have to absolutely max his contract out though and go for 18-20 million a year.

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm going to get killed for it, but I wouldn't pay it. With all of the pieces we have and the defense we have, there are a lot of quarterbacks out there that we can win Super Bowls with.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Everyone is too low. If he's got a good agent, it'll be 6 yrs, $150m, $80m guaranteed

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I already predicted 25 million per year in a similar topic we had several months ago.

I agree with Hans...people are estimating too low.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tical21":28hn1qbm said:
I'm going to get killed for it, but I wouldn't pay it. With all of the pieces we have and the defense we have, there are a lot of quarterbacks out there that we can win Super Bowls with.
Yeah you'll get killed and fully deserve it. So we don't pay him and we go back to our first 36 years really good plan there boss. Here's a hint...the NFL is a quarterback driven league and if you got a good one you're a contender year in and year out. If you don't have one you're Houston (totally talented and solid everywhere but with no shot to even win their division on a consistent basis let alone playoff games because their competition already has one above average quarterback likely to be elite sooner then later in place and it's possible Jacksonville may have one also).

And the rules aren't going to change back. In fact be ready for more quarterback friendly rules in the coming years. So the smart money is to find that elite quarterback and ride him for all it's worth.

Cartire

Reaction score
HansGruber":uefsy8b2 said:
Everyone is too low. If he's got a good agent, it'll be 6 yrs, $150m, $80m guaranteed

So who are we cutting to get to that number?

With Sherman, Percy, bennets and ET's contracts, then add on this duzy. We will have to field the rest of the team with rookie contracts only.

What a gamble that will be.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Cartire":1ccc2yie said:
HansGruber":1ccc2yie said:

With Sherman, Percy, bennets and ET's contracts, then add on this duzy. We will have to field the rest of the team with rookie contracts only.

With the cap going up like it will be it's actually a possible number but I don't think Wilson will do that to the organization. I could be wrong though.

Cartire

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2cr46eu2 said:
Cartire":2cr46eu2 said:
HansGruber":2cr46eu2 said:

With the cap going up like it will be it's actually a possible number but I don't think Wilson will do that to the organization. I could be wrong though.

Theres no set number yet for what its going up too. I think we should wait for the guaranteed cap increase before we assume its a big enough number to support that kinda contract.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Tical21":qrjprl2l said:
I disagree but it is certainly debatable either way. It's not going to make sense to pay RW $130m if we can't protect him better as he gets older, and if the FO continues with the run blocking only OL strategy then it may be smarter to cycle through a bunch of cheap young mobile QBs until they get hurt.

I think there are better reasons to pay him, however. His leadership and mentality are a perfect fit for our locker room and his game manager++ abilities are not easily replaceable. Unlike other QBs the "game manager" term is exactly why RW is going to get a big paycheck from the Hawks as long as Pete Carroll is in charge.

Most mobile QBs offset the scrambling upside with a higher chance of making a mistake; Michael Vick can't play for the Jets because he can't resist taking crazy risks several times per game while trying to make something happen. Most QBs who are considered game managers have had to take that route because of limited tools but RW manages to make good decisions despite his ability to pull a rabbit out of a hat and make plays out of nothing.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
If he wins another Super Bowl this season that number is likely growing a lot. But at 6/129/60 Its a no brainer. For Comparison Spotrac did this same comparison for Kaepernick and it came in at 6/118,382/43,847 (VS actual at 6/114/61). I could not find one for Luck but I can only imagine what it might be.

Since I am not well informed (OK Neophyte), are players allowed to be offered stock options or partial ownership in a team as compensation?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1advcw31 said:

If you look at the performances thus far, our defense has taken a step or three backward this season. The run defense is outstanding, but the pass defense has not been on the same level as it was last season. Part of that is due to the slate of QBs we've faced, and part of it can surely be attributed to scheme. But the fact of the matter is that when you get a franchise QB, that can make up for any uncharacteristic defensive lapses the team might encounter (like, say, allowing an 80-yard TD drive in 50 seconds to a team with zero timeouts that sends a game to OT).

Wilson will get a contract that has an average yearly salary north of $20 million, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have a structure similar to what we've seen given out to Kaepernick and Dalton recently - one that protects the team and the salary cap to some degree. I don't think those contracts were given out just because there are lingering concerns over Kaepernick and Dalton, but more because teams and QBs both are understanding that contracts like QBs have received in the past handcuff a team and eventually weaken it.

Cartire

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":cgzhaljo said:
If he wins another Super Bowl this season that number is likely growing a lot. But at 6/129/60 Its a no brainer. For Comparison Spotrac did this same comparison for Kaepernick and it came in at 6/118,382/43,847 (VS actual at 6/114/61). I could not find one for Luck but I can only imagine what it might be.

Since I am not well informed (OK Neophyte), are players allowed to be offered stock options or partial ownership in a team as compensation?

No. They are not.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Cartire":3uytn19h said:
MizzouHawkGal":3uytn19h said:
Cartire":3uytn19h said:
HansGruber":3uytn19h said:

Theres no set number yet for what its going up too. I think we should wait for the guaranteed cap increase before we assume its a big enough number to support that kinda contract.
For sure but it does seem obvious that the cap will be going up pretty substantially in the next few years. Just look at what the prices of getting a franchise are you better believe the players are.

Cartire

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1tme3x5t said:
Cartire":1tme3x5t said:
For sure but it does seem obvious that the cap will be going up pretty substantially.

Hopefully, if we see another 10 million jump, then the first contract listed is more than doable, and it should be done. But the $150 mark is still to far off the radar.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Tical21":2lv9o9pz said:

Not gonna kill you but I think without RW (even with a solid back up like Tjack) we lose Week 3 against Den, and against Washington. How would you feel about a 1-3 team right now?