Football Outsiders projecting best QB of '12 draft (FUNNY)

Smellyman

Reaction score
Ha this been posted yet? Apologies if it was, I did search.

Mike Salk tweeted this football outsiders article. Basically they rated all qb's with stats and advanced metrics to forecast who was the best. It was hilarious looking at it now.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2012/lewin-career-forecast-2012

All the usual suspects were there, the top was Griffin, Luck, Foles, Tannehill, Weeden, Osweiler.

However, their highest rated qb was Russell Wilson. They would not rank him #1. Instead gave an asterisk and the metric must be wrong....because:

The Asterisk
Russell Wilson, Wisconsin: 2,650 DYAR

Important stats: 48 games started, 60.7% completion rate, senior passer rating rose 64.1 points.

I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention the ridiculous projection that the Lewin Career Forecast spits out for Russell Wilson. Yes, that projection is even higher than the one for Robert Griffin. No, it doesn't particularly mean that Wilson is a sleeper prospect. There are a few things going on here that the LCF is just not designed to account for.

First and foremost, the change in Wilson's passer rating between his junior and senior years is insane. Remember that earlier I noted that Griffin had a larger senior year passer rating increase than any quarterback in our data set? Well, Wilson's senior year passer rating increase is 40 percent larger than Griffin's. But does it matter when the quarterback is playing in a completely different offense for a completely different school in his last year of college eligibility? At Wisconsin, Wilson got to pick apart defenses that were concentrating on stopping Montee Ball. At North Carolina State, I doubt opponents were quaking in their boots at the thought of Mustafa Greene and Dean Haynes. It goes without saying that there isn't another quarterback in the LCF data set who transferred between his junior and senior years.

There's also the issue of height, another data point where there's nobody in our data set that can be compared to Wilson. At first, it seems strange that LCF doesn't include a variable to discount short quarterbacks

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
So their system really works. Except injuries can't be factored in. So Bob got dinged for being injured, but that injury (in my humble opinion) is a product of two things that ALSO can't be factored in. Playing surface and teammates. If either of those blow then your fancy metric(s) get shot to heck. And Bob got both, and injured. Now THAT blows. I would have liked to see Bob play healthy.

Man, I love me some Russell Wilson (Champion.)

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
CANHawk":1cnewd6l said:
Lol. Idjits didn't even trust their own metric because Russell was too short. Nonsensical...
And they had to make an excuse for their projection when in reality they were right all along. That's hilarious.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Oh yeah...I remember the thread from 2012. Simply "The Asterisk". But it is even a BETTER read now than before!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Wilson wasn't discounted because of his height in that, it was because he transferred schools for his senior year. Designing a system that can account for that would be nearly impossible. They should have gone with their guts more in terms of predicting what they thought he'd do, though. :)

Sac

Reaction score
Which is stupid, Roland.

But does it matter when the quarterback is playing in a completely different offense for a completely different school in his last year of college eligibility?

You'd think he would get credit for excelling in a new environment, in a new system he'd never played in before. But no, they ding him for it. Ridiculous.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yeah, they should have backed him more. No doubt. However, even when not giving him enough credit in their forecast software, it ranked him the best. :)

OP
OP
Smellyman

Smellyman

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":39m09s7m said:
Wilson wasn't discounted because of his height in that, it was because he transferred schools for his senior year. Designing a system that can account for that would be nearly impossible. They should have gone with their guts more in terms of predicting what they thought he'd do, though. :)

he was an * for both reasons. the weird logic of transferring schools and his height.

If he was over 6' he probably wouldn't have been an *

Mick063

Reaction score
A quote from the messages board below the article:

by Aaron Brooks Go... :: Mon, 03/12/2012 - 3:38pm

So we're dinging Wilson's projection because he played for a year with Montee Ball, but not knocking Andrew Luck for spending a season with Toby Gerhart? Or that Stanford and Wisconsin were nearly identical last year in terms of roster construction, offensive style (Stanford ran just as much and for as many yards as Wisconsin), and similar inability to beat Oregon.

So other than Russell Wilson being short, what's wrong with him? The Brees comparison is more apt than you'd think -- he looks a lot like Brees did at Purdue.

If you want to discount the transfer factor, what is his projection if you assumed a 4th year at NC State with a 5% senior bump? I think you're looking at decent prospect who turns the ball over too often, but those NC State teams were usually massively out-talented and he spent much of his first three years running for his life. Given a talent O-line, he revealed himself to be a very accurate, very ball-conscious QB.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I'm not sure that in that article it is clearly stated that it was Wilson's - senior year of eligibility - they are speaking of.
Not to mention that he graduated from NC State in <3 years while ALSO playing both football AND baseball, that alone is extremely awe inspiring to me.

""Wilson graduated from NC State in three years in May 2010 with a BA in communication, and took graduate-level business courses in the fall semester during the 2010 football season"".
""On April 29, 2011, O'Brien announced that Wilson had been granted a release from his football scholarship with one year of eligibility remaining"".
""On June 27, 2011, Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema announced that Wilson had committed to Wisconsin for the 2011 season"".

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Russell_Wilson# ... .932010.29