If JS, what would you take for Harvin post '14?

HawkWow

Reaction score
1st, spare me the hater stuff. We are all grown-ups and should be able to discuss such things intelligently. Everybody has a price. Wilson even has a price.

If I were JS, I'd pray for Harvin's health and continued sunny disposition, then trade him at year's end for (no less than) a high 1. I'd use that pick on the best LT available.

I'd then trade down our natural 1st, add a 6th, then draft UW's John Ross, a guy I have been comparing to Harvin for weeks. It would be a lateral move, imo. Ross is equally dynamic, no injury history and would come at a fraction of Harvin's cost.

RW likes to spread the ball around and no fault of his own, but Harvin is becoming less of a KO threat. Sure we've enjoyed good field position, but not dramatic enough to warrant Harvin's contract, imo. I do fully understand Harvin's true worth cannot be determined by returns, targets, touches or TDs. He's a DC's worst nightmare. And why he'd command nice compensation.

Again, I love Harvin on this team, I just feel he is a luxury we can win without. Getting Okung's replacement, to me, is top priority and we'd have to trade our entire draft, or Harvin, to get that, imo.

What would be your bottom line asking price for Percy Harvin?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
2 1sts would be my bottom line. We have seen the type of boost Harvin gives our offense. We struggle when he's not a part of it. To trade him away for unproven rookies, it would take a pretty nice package.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
No offense but the question is premature. This should be a 2015 off season topic. Your asking what we'd trade Percy after the 2014 season before week 6.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Three (3) first round and two (2) second round draft picks is the least that I would trade Percy for.

Smellyman

Reaction score
HawkFan72":31dy79z0 said:
2 1sts would be my bottom line. We have seen the type of boost Harvin gives our offense. We struggle when he's not a part of it. To trade him away for unproven rookies, it would take a pretty nice package.

struggle on offense is a little strong for a team that averaged 27 pts last year w/o Harvin and went to the superbowl. this year so far also 27 pts per game.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I would trade him for Bill Gates's bank account, Neil DeGrasse Tyson's IQ, and Scarlett Johansson's phone number.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
If he's healthy and productive on the level I wouldn't trade him for anything reasonable.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd go for two 1st's.

I agree that we probably overpaid for Harvin, on THIS team. So far, I just don't see the huge impact. I mean, I can see an impact, but like others have said, we won last year without him.

I do, however, disagree with the KO example. We've seen kickers kick short, out of bounds, all kinds of crazy to avoid Harvin. He's just that scary, and folks know it.

it's really a catch 22. Harvin can disguise deficiencies in the OL. He's a born blitz beater; he gets instant separation. I'd like nothing more than a franchise LT, but Harvin can alleviate that. So, do you take two firsts ? yes. One first ? I'd say that's a lateral move.

I don't know the Ross kid from UW. Maybe he's as good as harvin, maybe not. I will say this, he's not creating that huge of an impact for UW or it would show up more. There's a ton of guys that are athletic as Harvin, but not many as talented.

Stainlesssteve

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2o1ak06i said:
I would trade him for Bill Gates's bank account, Neil DeGrasse Tyson's IQ, and Scarlett Johansson's phone number.

Pretty sure Paul Allen already has these 3...and Percy

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Percy Harvin is an elite player in this league, and I think he's opening up big things in this offense (which is functioning much better than last year BTW). You don't trade away elite players -- have said this many times in regard to other players.

But for fun, here's an interesting hypo:

Golden Tate + 1st Rd Pick + 3rd Rd + 7th Rd Pick + $8M in Cap Space in 2015 (diff b/w Harvin/Tate contracts -- pays for Lynch)

for

Percy Harvin.

I believe that's essentially what the original trade ultimately cost (+ the $10M cap differential between Tate and Harvin this year). What if someone offered it all back? Tate is #5 in receiving yards, #1 in YAC for WRs, on pace for 100 catches/1500 yards. Seems pretty tempting.

That being said, the Lions would be a way more dangerous team with Harvin instead of Tate. Way more dangerous. Megatron and Harvin? Game over.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Why,

Why not trade a couple of 1sts for a top 10 pick?
Select a LT

Drop Okung

Now we have a LT, we have paid Russell and we got rid of a couple of 1sts that we won't ever use anyway.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The two problems with this scenario are the injury history and the salary. We're paying Harvin #1 money and it's going to be hard to find a team willing to part with that much money and draft capital for a guy they can't rely on. Either Harvin will be healthy and his value will be a king's ransom that we wouldn't get, or he will have another setback and then nobody would dream of offering a first for him. Remember that the hip thing and missing the season was after the deal - his biggest issue before that had been the migraines.

I like John Ross as well but drafting him is a side issue and we wouldn't stay away from him just because we have Harvin. I also don't think drafting for pass protection is that realistic, my money is on "reaching" for a guy like Corey Robinson with the #32 pick because we love his run blocking.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
His salary goes down after this season, and the cap goes up...so I would want to keep him. Other teams know this too, so the asking price would be steep.

Start at a 1st this year and next year...build on it from there...

Just seeing what he can bring to an offense so far has been golden, once things start rolling...so will his pricetag.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkWow":22997var said:
1st, spare me the hater stuff. We are all grown-ups and should be able to discuss such things intelligently. Everybody has a price. Wilson even has a price.

If I were JS, I'd pray for Harvin's health and continued sunny disposition, then trade him at year's end for (no less than) a high 1. I'd use that pick on the best LT available.

I'd then trade down our natural 1st, add a 6th, then draft UW's John Ross, a guy I have been comparing to Harvin for weeks. It would be a lateral move, imo. Ross is equally dynamic, no injury history and would come at a fraction of Harvin's cost.

RW likes to spread the ball around and no fault of his own, but Harvin is becoming less of a KO threat. Sure we've enjoyed good field position, but not dramatic enough to warrant Harvin's contract, imo. I do fully understand Harvin's true worth cannot be determined by returns, targets, touches or TDs. He's a DC's worst nightmare. And why he'd command nice compensation.

Again, I love Harvin on this team, I just feel he is a luxury we can win without. Getting Okung's replacement, to me, is top priority and we'd have to trade our entire draft, or Harvin, to get that, imo.

What would be your bottom line asking price for Percy Harvin?
Nothing. Due to the salary cap and age the will be players that have to be let go. Lynch isn't going to last forever and the defense is already starting to slip a little so you are going to need playmakers.

Tical21

Reaction score
We would eat about an 8 million dead money cap hit in 2015. Won't happen.

kearly

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1lztw3wm said:

I was just going to say the same thing.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
We need to pay RW, Carpenter and decide what to do at left tackle. Not to mention the other guys. I believe KJ and Malcolm will be due. But I could be wrong there.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I'd keep Harvin forever cuz I friggin love the dude!

I literally had an internal debate for 3 weeks over a Chancellor jersey or Harvin jersey... I went with Kam but still

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kearly":f7kte3yt said:
SeatownJay":f7kte3yt said:

I was just going to say the same thing.

Ditto