Cowboys Coaches call Sherman overrated!

forgivenhawksfan

Reaction score
Jerry Jones said this week the Dallas Cowboys aren't running from Richard Sherman.

Cowboys coaches are taking that fearlessness to another level.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said on NFL GameDay Morning that Cowboys coaches believe the Seahawks have the best defense but have told players that Sherman is "overrated."

"The word from Cowboys coaches to their players: That Richard Sherman is overrated, that the rest of the secondary props him up and makes him play better than he actually is, that Sherman is protected by some of the best safeties in the game -- including, of course, Earl Thomas," Rapoport said. "The Cowboys coaches do think the Seattle defense is the best defense in the NFL. But as far as Sherman, they feel like they can attack."

The Seahawks safeties are certainly fantastic, but Sherman's playmaking ability is no joke either.

The Sherman-Dez Bryant matchup will be a fun one to watch.

Coaches try to pump their players up and create a fearless mentality as much as possible, but overtly calling Sherman overrated is a little bit overstated -- especially if this gets to the cornerback prior to the contest.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast recaps the Colts' win over the Texans and previews every other Week 6 game. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL Now.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Not surprised by this, they think that since he has been quiet this year he must suck. They should know that this just makes Sherman play better, so we should be thanking them.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Actually, they never name a source. I'd say it's probably not a direct quote, and it's nfl.com being dramatic again.

I think the Cowboys probably think they can get some plays there, but all this hype of Dez vs. Sherman is actually really dumb if the Boys really mean it. Which matchup do you want, Dez against Sherman, or Dez against Maxwell ? Duh.

I honestly hope they try it, but I really think this is psychological warfare. The only way you're going to get Sherman is to get him frustrated and hope he peels off of a route to make something happen, ala Jackson in the Redskins game.

drdiags

Reaction score
That's their opinion, plus it doesn't hurt if any of the WR were lacking in confidence to try to boost them up. These same coaches probably would be in line with the rest of the team sucking up to Sherman if he was on the open market.

You have to consider the source. Some of these guys, or at least the FO, gave up picks to grab Clairborne. So their opinion of cornerback play isn't gospel.

Smart on their part to praise Thomas. He already alluded to hoping to end his career as a Cowboy because of his father's love for the team (watch his press conference from the Skins week).

This is the type of environment Sherman wanted. He thrives on it so it will be interesting to see how he plays today and if successful, what he will have to say about the Dallas coaches.

NorCalSeahawkFan

Reaction score
Good Im glad that they think that way. I hope they go after him and he lights them up. I want to see Richard respond and beat them down!

Mick063

Reaction score
I love it when Sherman is publicly dissed. It is like handing Popeye a can of spinach. Finally, a team that will go after him.

Can't wait to watch.