2014 season seems to be starting like 2012 season

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Since mid 2012 we have played 110% better than we did today. But this will just have to be that spark like the 01/13/2013 Falcons game was, or Colts. We are not steady.

This seem just like 2012.

seahawksfanatic000

Reaction score
No, colts game was offense and russel playing well and the defense playing badly. This game was defense playing okay, Russell playing bad, oline playing worse.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
The poor 3rd down offense and defense is what strongly reminds me of 2012. Hopefully this offense starts firing on all cylinders because I don't see the inconsistent pass rush being fixed this season.

Seattle has always struggled with penalties but the pre-snap penalties are infuriating... False Starts and Neutral Zone are horrible and killing us.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
seahawksfanatic000":xvg0rxwq said:
No, colts game was offense and russel playing well and the defense playing badly. This game was defense playing okay, Russell playing bad, oline playing worse.

Defense playing ok?? We got gashed by Murray in the 4 th quarter...no pass rush...one sack because Romo fell down...and got torched on explosive plays...defense sucked today

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Yxes1122":34x9a943 said:
The poor 3rd down offense and defense is what strongly reminds me of 2012. Hopefully this offense starts firing on all cylinders because I don't see the inconsistent pass rush being fixed this season.

Seattle has always struggled with penalties but the pre-snap penalties are infuriating... False Starts and Neutral Zone are horrible and killing us.
Strongly agree with this post, all of it. (don't forget the 12 men on the field penalty on the defense yesterday.....inexcusable)

lobohawk

Reaction score
MeanBlueGreen":y23teyuo said:
seahawksfanatic000":y23teyuo said:

Defense playing ok?? We got gashed by Murray in the 4 th quarter...no pass rush...one sack because Romo fell down...and got torched on explosive plays...defense sucked today

Wouldn't say the defense sucked, even if there were some breakdowns. It's just that the defense wasn't great and we needed an exceptional defense to compensate for the crappy play on offense. If the offense can't score points or maintain possession (long drives), then the defense has to be phenomenal.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
lobohawk":3jejlny2 said:
MeanBlueGreen":3jejlny2 said:
seahawksfanatic000":3jejlny2 said:

Wouldn't say the defenses sucked, even if there were some breakdowns. It's just that the defense wasn't great and we needed an exceptional defense to compensate for the crappy play on offense. If the offense can't score points or maintain possession (long drives), then the defense has to be phenomenal.
Offense was horrible. Defense was just bad (particularly in generating a pass rush and on 3rd down).

Rob12

Reaction score
seahawksfanatic000":39wddc21 said:
Also, all of our worst games directly correlate with the worst oline play

No, try again.

Darrell Bevell and his play calling is the #1 causal factor in us losing games this season. I'm not sure how that can be disputed by anyone. Seems popular to constantly bash the offensive line, but they are not the reason that we got sparked by San Diego and Dallas.

Bevell's run his course here in my eyes. We are a terrible football team with a .200 winning percentage when Beast gets the ball 10 times or less. He refuses to learn from it and the result has been losing games. That's unacceptable.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
Rob12":1a1y1sjc said:
seahawksfanatic000":1a1y1sjc said:
Also, all of our worst games directly correlate with the worst oline play

No, try again.

Darrell Bevell and his play calling is the #1 causal factor in us losing games this season. I'm not sure how that can be disputed by anyone. Seems popular to constantly bash the offensive line, but they are not the reason that we got sparked by San Diego and Dallas.

Bevell's run his course here in my eyes. We are a terrible football team with a .200 winning percentage when Beast gets the ball 10 times or less. He refuses to learn from it and the result has been losing games. That's unacceptable.

Not going to disagree about the playcalling but the 3rd down conversion bug from 2012 is back - absolutely deplorable and constantly in 3rd and long situations - dropped passes, no rhythm, over abundance of "gadget" plays, bad, bad run blocking...

On the other side of the ball - same thing. Cowboys routinely and fairly easily converted 3rd down after 3rd down, including the 3rd and 20 back breaker.

Brock said something today which made sense - we've got a lot of guys on both side of the ball that are new and therefore are playing within themselves. In other words, they are thinking about their assignments, and making sure they be the best they can be at their position, with little to no forethought to the guy next to them...in other words, not freely playing football but thinking too much. I believe this is forcing Earl, Kam etc. to play more cautiously, because they can't trust those guys to make the plays at the first level. J

marko358

Reaction score
lobohawk":3jqnq23m said:
MeanBlueGreen":3jqnq23m said:
seahawksfanatic000":3jqnq23m said:

Wouldn't say the defense sucked, even if there were some breakdowns. It's just that the defense wasn't great and we needed an exceptional defense to compensate for the crappy play on offense. If the offense can't score points or maintain possession (long drives), then the defense has to be phenomenal.

Defense giving up a ton of yards and 30 points at home is pretty awful anyway you slice and dice it.

kearly

Reaction score
I hear people saying this a lot, but I disagree with it for many reasons.

The 2012 team was a really really good team. Their DVOA was almost identical to 2013's, and their 'estimated wins' were exactly the same (13). This year's team feels like an 11 estimated wins kind of team. Roughly on par with a franchise like Green Bay. Seattle was the best team in the NFL in 2012 by a few different metrics. I'm doubtful the 2014 version will be #1 at the end of the regular season.

You'd never see a team punch the 2012 Seahawks in the mouth and kick their asses like Dallas just did a couple days ago to the 2014 version.

Seattle had a very different offensive identity in 2012. Both offenses were efficient, but in drastically different ways.

The pass rush is similar in terms of sack totals but different under the microscope. Irvin had 8 sacks that year but half of them came in two games and he was clearly a one trick pony who's contribution was essentially a mirage that season. Clemons was the only real pass rushing force on the team. The 2014 pass rush is still doing an excellent job of creating pressure with several different contributors pitching in almost equally, but is in a dry spell for sacks, similar to the 2014 Rams.

The secondary played much better in 2012 than it has in 2014. And when it failed in 2012, it failed because of Gus Bradley's love for blitzing with soft zones. When it fails in 2014, it's because Seattle spent years drafting corners who could be physical, but now cannot touch receivers in the new rules environment.

Seattle had an identity in 2012. They are still figuring out their identity in 2014.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
tom sawyer":3bcsn4sv said:
Since mid 2012 we have played 110% better than we did today. But this will just have to be that spark like the 01/13/2013 Falcons game was, or Colts. We are not steady.

This seem just like 2012.

I seem to remember 2012 being the season where our defense and special teams were lights out and our offense was seriously lacking.

As of now, special teams seems good/great/lights out. Defense is good/great. Offense is mediocre at best. In the Chargers loss, you can probably say it was flipped. Offense looked amazing, defense looked like garbage. Either way both need to click.

TCHawkfan

Reaction score
The Hawks were ahead until that 3rd & 20 debacle. If I remember correctly, Murray had 64 yards up until that point. Considering that the O-line started a rook, a center in his 2nd game and a 50%? Okung, I thought they played ok, RW often had pretty good time to throw.