Depth and the draft

blkhwk

Reaction score
Not a believer in the "sky is falling" this is still a very good team that needs to be at its best every week. That being said, as injuries come around and the bye week behind us, I thought it was interesting to look at the Carroll/Schneider drafts to look at who replaces Red Bryant, Chris Clemons, Golden Taten etc. The first drafts were big hits, the last two, not so much (could be the result of draft position from an 11-5 and Super Bowl season) or could be big misses after many hits.

2nd and 3rd and maybe even 4th round guys should be providing quality depth or starting for any team. Listed below are the draft picks that were active today, You could include Percy in there today as he was acquired using draft picks.

2 64 Justin Britt
4 108 Cassius Marsh
4 132 Kevin Pierre-Louis
3 87 Jordan Hill
5 158 Luke Willson
1 15 Bruce Irvin
2 47 Bobby Wagner
3 75 Russell Wilson
4 106 Robert Turbin
7 225 J.R. Sweezy
1 25 James Carpenter
4 99 K.J. Wright
5 154 Richard Sherman
6 173 Byron Maxwell
7 242 Malcolm Smith
1 6 Russell Okung
1 14 Earl Thomas
5 133 Kam Chancellor

hawkfan68

Reaction score
You forgot Paul Richardson. He was the first 2nd round pick for the Seahawks in 2014 draft.

papashango

Reaction score
Its not even just missing on picks. They are missing in CRUCIAL points in the draft. There's no excuse to be able to hit on a 5th rounder but you fail yearly at 1st and 2nd rounders. That's insane. Those are premium picks. If you're going to waste them than atleast trade them for legit talent.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I think Coyle (undrafted) played yesterday.
But you make good points. Would be interesting to look at all the high draft picks, who have been inactive ...
Christine Michael (RB)
Paul Richardson (WR)
Norwood (WR)

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
So am I hearing correctly that a 5th rounder is even more crucial than a 1st or 2nd?

OP
OP
B

blkhwk

Reaction score
High picks that were used on Michael, Richardson etc. need to be big contributors to replace guys like Red, Tate, Clemons and others. But, if the 2nd rounders aren't getting it done, then the 5th rounders become crucial.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I think PC/JS went into this year with last year weighing heavily in the back of their minds; so much talent that they could basically "redshirt" all new draft picks. So they may have gone into the draft with the same mentality. Draft someone with an extremely high upside, who they could "redshirt" and keep teaching. Except with the way the year has been progressing, we need people who can contribute NOW. Not to say they are bad picks or won't work out eventually, I just think our FO went into the draft with less of a sense of needing immediate starting talent.

OP
OP
B

blkhwk

Reaction score
bbsplitter":37i0if05 said:
I think PC/JS went into this year with last year weighing heavily in the back of their minds; so much talent that they could basically "redshirt" all new draft picks. So they may have gone into the draft with the same mentality. Draft someone with an extremely high upside, who they could "redshirt" and keep teaching. Except with the way the year has been progressing, we need people who can contribute NOW. Not to say they are bad picks or won't work out eventually, I just think our FO went into the draft with less of a sense of needing immediate starting talent.

I believe this to be true as well. I like the "red shirt" idea for 5-7th rounders, maybe even 4th rounders, but to use your top pick in the second round two years in a row for a red shirt guy is starting to show holes in the roster.

The other portion of the draft philosophy that is starting to get a little distressing is drafting guys a whole round or two higher than anyone has projected. This is difficult to really pinpoint since no one really knows how the draft will play out, but Britt, Carpenter, Irvin were all speculated to be available lower than when they were selected.

chris98251

Reaction score
Win a Super Bowl get accolades on how we build a team, lose two games and we don't know what were doing. Which is it?

Latest posts