I miss the team that punched teams in the mouth last year.

Rob12

Reaction score
I miss the Beast getting fed. 27 carries over the past two games. Murray had 29 yesterday.

Six carries against the Chargers.

Beast Mode won't last much longer in this league, but he's still in his prime. Bevell outright refuses to take advantage of that.

2-8 in games when he gets 10 carries or less... A winning percentage of .200.

Get the message, Bevell. Now.

Beast was a huge part of our identity last year. Bevell is killing that identity purposefully.

I want some answers, and I thought Pete's explanation was flat out garbage.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Last year AND this year when the Niners chose to NOT play Niner football they lost. Guess what we're doing right now...kind of the same thing.

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
I can't explain or speak to your OC and what he does or doesn't do with Beast Mode. I don't get too see all the Seattle games so I'll leave things of that nature to the experts here who get a far clearer picture of those things.

I will say this about yesterday from my view. I'll say right now, as I've said before, I expected us to lose a close game to the Seahawks yesterday. My biggest reason for thinking we'd lose a close one was that I didn't believe we'd come in an match their physical nature.

Now what I saw yesterday was not only a Dallas team that matched their physical nature but actually was more physical and punched Seattle in the mouth. I mean that, and the rest of this, with zero disrespect to the champs. They're tough, they're physical, and I have no doubt they're in the hunt for the rest of the year.

The point where I actually felt like we had a real shot of winning this game came right at Halftime. When the Seahawks seems to get a little chippy as we were going into half and they had a little shoving and such going on. I felt like right then that we actually had a real shot of winning the game for this reason. I felt like Dallas had mentally gotten into Seattle a little bit. They'd come in, weathered the 10-0 early deficit, and they'd played physical and imposed some will on Seattle. It was right there, when Seattle seemed to take offense to the fact that Dallas was doing what they normally do that I felt we had a real shot.

Again that's not meant as any disrespect to the Hawks because I have the biggest respect for this team, I love the way your D has been built, and I'm as big a Sherman fan as probably any Seahawks fan out there.

I just felt like, watching that game yesterday, that Dallas came in and maybe bullied the bullies a little bit and it got to Seattle mentally a little bit.

El Caliente

Reaction score
To be fair though, if you give Beastmode 27 carries a game right now, you wont be able to give him 27 carries in a game come January. He is getting older, and his body has taken a pounding. Its best to keep that bullet in the chamber until the playoffs when everyone elses bodies are tired, and Lynch is somewhat fresh from lack of use. Right now you guys are still doing fine in spite of his lack of carries.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
El Caliente":fqqdfb5n said:
To be fair though, if you give Beastmode 27 carries a game right now, you wont be able to give him 27 carries in a game come January. He is getting older, and his body has taken a pounding. Its best to keep that bullet in the chamber until the playoffs when everyone elses bodies are tired, and Lynch is somewhat fresh from lack of use. Right now you guys are still doing fine in spite of his lack of carries.

I don't know. We're just a game over .500 and have two straight road games coming up. I like the idea of keeping Lynch fresh, but not at the risk of digging a hole early in the season that we'll have to claw our way out of later on. Home losses tend to set alarm bells ringing around here, because they are so rare.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
El Caliente":3hcesoc8 said:

You play to win now. I get what you're saying, but what's the use in saving Lynch if we're at home come playoff time? We have a brutal schedule and we play in arguably the best division in football. No game is guaranteed, as evidenced by our two losses already. I think we're a 10-11 win team no matter what, but how confident is anyone that that record will guarantee us a playoff spot? I'm not.

Feed the Beast. That is what will help us go 1-0 every week.

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
Rob12":2cfer0nu said:
El Caliente":2cfer0nu said:

You play to win now. I get what you're saying, but what's the use in saving Lynch if we're at home come playoff time? We have a brutal schedule and we play in arguably the best division in football. No game is guaranteed, as evidenced by our two losses already. I think we're a 10-11 win team no matter what, but how confident is anyone that that record will guarantee us a playoff spot? I'm not.

I for one can't agree with you more about feeding your run game to win. I've been screaming for years for Dallas to committ to the run and now that they finally are they're seeing a very different team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rob12":52sspwja said:

It's not that simple, Bevell was calling plays based on the defensive formations that Dallas was in...........which were 9-10 guys in the box all running downhill to stop Lynch and Harvin.

We are a run first team, but other than Marshawn's 32 yard run, he was only able to gain 1-3 yards due to Dallas's defense.

What we needed to do is make plays downfield and call more play action in order to back off the defense, THEN run the ball. So yeah Bevell is culpable, but not in the way you're saying "should have given the ball to Lynch."

Bevell, Pete and Russell need to get in the film room early and often this week to come up with new wrinkles to back these defenses off the line, and it's not 20 bubble screens and end arounds to Percy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Dallas was having a similar level of success with Murray but stuck with it. That is usually how the running game works. Rarely are backs getting a consistent 4-5 yards on every carry.

So I disagree....it is that simple. Stick with it and wear them down. Play action pass. Run some conventional route trees. They need to get back to it.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27d0u0x1 said:
Rob12":27d0u0x1 said:

It's not that simple, Bevell was calling plays based on the defensive formations that Dallas was in...........which were 9-10 guys in the box all running downhill to stop Lynch and Harvin.

We are a run first team, but other than Marshawn's 32 yard run, he was only able to gain 1-3 yards due to Dallas's defense.

What we needed to do is make plays downfield and call more play action in order to back off the defense, THEN run the ball. So yeah Bevell is culpable, but not in the way you're saying "should have given the ball to Lynch."

Bevell, Pete and Russell need to get in the film room early and often this week to come up with new wrinkles to back these defenses off the line, and it's not 20 bubble screens and end arounds to Percy.

Fair points. But I still think 10 carries is unforgivable. Look, I hate peddling this stat over and over, but the Seahawks have won two out of 10 games when Marshawn gets 10 carries or less. We lose 80 percent of the games we play when we run the ball that infrequently. Pete didn't say that they weren't running the ball because Dallas was stuffing the box, either. And sure, he might have gained 32 of his 61 yards on one run, but in no way does that negate the fact that he is still a player that will gain 2-4 yards and wear defenses down. Then when that happens, he has the ability to really make defenses pay.

I can only look at the data, and the stats say when we run the ball, we are massively successful. Teams stack the box all the time against us, and we still find ways to win - especially against teams with better defenses than what we saw yesterday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
austinslater25":xqrye127 said:
Dallas was having a similar level of success with Murray but stuck with it. That is usually how the running game works. Rarely are backs getting a consistent 4-5 yards on every carry.

So I disagree....it is that simple. Stick with it and wear them down. Play action pass. Run some conventional route trees. They need to get back to it.

You can't stick with it if your offense doesn't have the ball. Like the Charger game, Dallas dominated TOP, so they had the luxury of giving the run game more time to wear our defense down.

Lynch is an amazing back, but he's not wearing down anybody when the other team's defense gets to sit on the sideline for 20 minutes at a time watching their offense go on 9 minute drives.

The run game is more than just handing the ball off to your RB, it's based on many other factors that you guys aren't taking into consideration like TOP and wearing down the other team's defense for the first three quarters so you can be successful in the 4th quarter.........like Murray was able to be once our defense was gassed.

CaptBennett

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan":i97zi1cd said:
I can't explain or speak to your OC and what he does or doesn't do with Beast Mode. I don't get too see all the Seattle games so I'll leave things of that nature to the experts here who get a far clearer picture of those things.

I will say this about yesterday from my view. I'll say right now, as I've said before, I expected us to lose a close game to the Seahawks yesterday. My biggest reason for thinking we'd lose a close one was that I didn't believe we'd come in an match their physical nature.

Now what I saw yesterday was not only a Dallas team that matched their physical nature but actually was more physical and punched Seattle in the mouth. I mean that, and the rest of this, with zero disrespect to the champs. They're tough, they're physical, and I have no doubt they're in the hunt for the rest of the year.

The point where I actually felt like we had a real shot of winning this game came right at Halftime. When the Seahawks seems to get a little chippy as we were going into half and they had a little shoving and such going on. I felt like right then that we actually had a real shot of winning the game for this reason. I felt like Dallas had mentally gotten into Seattle a little bit. They'd come in, weathered the 10-0 early deficit, and they'd played physical and imposed some will on Seattle. It was right there, when Seattle seemed to take offense to the fact that Dallas was doing what they normally do that I felt we had a real shot.

Again that's not meant as any disrespect to the Hawks because I have the biggest respect for this team, I love the way your D has been built, and I'm as big a Sherman fan as probably any Seahawks fan out there.

I just felt like, watching that game yesterday, that Dallas came in and maybe bullied the bullies a little bit and it got to Seattle mentally a little bit.

Very well put, it's as if the Cowboys played our game.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":j74w71mc said:
Rob12":j74w71mc said:

There needs to be a credible threat of run for this offense to work.

Most of our deep passing comes off of play action, how exactly can play action work and back off a defense if we don't first run the ball with some kind of frequency? You can't *first* call play action and *then* run the ball.

9-10 in the box isn't even an issue when Bevell trots out the empty set formations multiple times in a single (3-and-out) series. This isn't just Bevell taking what the defense is giving. This is Bevell having a playsheet written in crayon.

El Caliente

Reaction score
I am not saying to abandon the run. I am saying to be more prudent in how many touches you give Lynch. Turbin might only be getting you 3.8 a carry, but if you use him in the right spots, those are 3.8 yards that can impact a game for the better. As your opponent I want you guys to feed Lynch 100 times a game as I know he wont be the same guy come Jan., as a guy who likes to watch Lynch run, I want you guys to use him 15-18 times a game, and use Harvin, Turbin, and Michael more a game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":2iwtbd07 said:
There needs to be a credible threat of run for this offense to work.

Most of our deep passing comes off of play action, how exactly can play action work and back off a defense if we don't first run the ball with some kind of frequency? You can't *first* call play action and *then* run the ball.

9-10 in the box isn't even an issue when Bevell trots out the empty set formations multiple times in a single (3-and-out) series. This isn't just Bevell taking what the defense is giving. This is Bevell having a playsheet written in crayon.

If having the most physical productive RB in the league isn't a "credible threat of run" then I don't know what is.

That's all Dallas cared about, stopping Lynch and Harvin, which is why they were packing the box. So to say the way to generate offense is to run the ball more, that makes no sense. Lynch had one big run, but his other runs 1-3 yards. More 1-3 yard runs doesn't work.

btw, I'm not disagreeing with you guys.......Lynch did need to be more involved, I'm just arguing about how it should happen.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Over the last couple of years, the Seahawks have been teaching the NFL how to play football all over again. We should actually be flattered that the league has learned their lesson and are even beating us with it. The students are challenging the master.

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3gx0hz2i said:
Over the last couple of years, the Seahawks have been teaching the NFL how to play football all over again. We should actually be flattered that the league has learned their lesson and are even beating us with it. The students are challenging the master.

Agree completely actually. I really do believe that their dedication to a quality run game the last couple of years and playing physical showed the league once more that it's not always about passing and being pretty.

They showed teams that you can win with ugly, physical, dominate offensive line play and playing hard, fast, and hungry on defense.

Shock2k

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan":n5cp63w1 said:

Actually this is a really good point. I had made a mental note of this also. We are usually the one's that get the other team to get chippy with us... get under their skin. It was like Dallas had won some mental battle by drawing us into it.

We lost all of our veteran (player) leadership this off season, it makes me wonder...

marko358

Reaction score
Shock2k":22p9k1wc said:
We lost all of our veteran (player) leadership this off season, it makes me wonder...

I guess I don't agree with that statement.