Time to Move Along

Largent80

Reaction score
Hand wringing isn't doing anyone any good.

Bottom line is we are 3-2. We have a group of games coming up that we should be competitive in and win.

You have to simply give Dallas credit for playing a GREAT game, time to go back to work.

Rob12

Reaction score
As fans, we have nothing to prepare for. We'll discuss this game until late next week and it'll be behind us. I know I was on the ledge yesterday but I took a big step back. Now, I just want to discuss what went wrong in a constructive and less emotional way. This one is rightfully going to sting for a bit.

It's been less than 24 hours. This one will be on the back burner soon enough.

Rob12

Reaction score
I give Dallas an immense amount of credit. They played great and beat us in every facet of the game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fans move on when their team gives a reason to move on.

What I saw yesterday was not just our defense got worn out cause it was 120 degrees on the field. I saw some very alarming systemic problems that are going to take a monumental effort by Pete and this team's leadership to correct.

I didn't EVER think I'd see this defense get punched in the mouth like that at HOME. On the road? sure, teams get up for us in their house, we've seen that plenty. But in OUR house? Nope, haven't seen that since Pete got here.

So sorry, I ain't moving on until I see the character of this team that was supposedly bullet proof to all the neysayers saying that we'd get soft after winning the SB rise up.

Rob12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2bjfgi5x said:
Fans move on when their team gives a reason to move on.

What I saw yesterday was not just our defense got worn out cause it was 120 degrees on the field. I saw some very alarming systemic problems that are going to take a monumental effort by Pete and this team's leadership to correct.

I didn't EVER think I'd see this defense get punched in the mouth like that at HOME. On the road? sure, teams get up for us in their house, we've seen that plenty. But in OUR house? Nope, haven't seen that since Pete got here.

So sorry, I ain't moving on until I see the character of this team that was supposedly bullet proof to all the neysayers saying that we'd get soft after winning the SB rise up.

Exactly this.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Whatever. We can't control anything as fans. I just gotta forget this one and I hope our team does too.

Last time I checked, there is a game this Sunday and it is time to prepare for it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think it is more reasonable to just reset expectations.

We won the SB. We have a very good team.

But I think talk about a Dynasty should rightfully be put to bed.

This is a very good team but one that is nowhere near as capable or as dangerous as last year's. To expect it is or should be, given what we lost vs what we gained? Wishful thinking.

Still compared to years of fielding a doormat, we still have reason to look forward to any of the games. We can still hope to beat almost anyone, we just cannot count on it. (Counting out the 49ers since I think they will shell us in both games).

This is a team with clear weaknesses (OL, WR, OC) that are going to hurt it. That just is the fact. We are going to win games in spite of that and lose some specifically because of it. As good as Pete is, he cannot magically make borderline players into probowlers.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":4tzizkl5 said:
I think it is more reasonable to just reset expectations.

We won the SB. We have a very good team.

But I think talk about a Dynasty should rightfully be put to bed.

This is a very good team but one that is nowhere near as capable or as dangerous as last year's. To expect it is or should be, given what we lost vs what we gained? Wishful thinking.

Still compared to years of fielding a doormat, we still have reason to look forward to any of the games. We can still hope to beat almost anyone, we just cannot count on it. (Counting out the 49ers since I think they will shell us in both games).

This is a team with clear weaknesses (OL, WR, OC) that are going to hurt it. That just is the fact. We are going to win games in spite of that and lose some specifically because of it. As good as Pete is, he cannot magically make borderline players into probowlers.
+1

I think a reset of expectations will do wonders and it's totally possible to go 10-6 or 11-5 and do exactly what Pittsburgh and the NY Giants have done. Another big thing that seems to be glossed over is the decimation of our secondary and the injury to Unger, Miller and if Aros's is right Okung. Combine that with a complete change in defensive philosophy and an offense from who knows where and you got big issues. Luckily every last one of them are correctable and we have the time to do so.

gulliver

Reaction score
Largent80":19eo0vp0 said:
Hand wringing isn't doing anyone any good.

Bottom line is we are 3-2. We have a group of games coming up that we should be competitive in and win.

You have to simply give Dallas credit for playing a GREAT game, time to go back to work.
Don't get it.

As someone else pointed out, we're fans and we're free to dwell on it as long as we like without affecting the team. The idea that we all must take a vow of silence because somebody on the Internet doesn't like it is a bit presumptuous.

Now that I've had a night to sleep on the disappointment--I have some Cowboy friends and I badly wanted a blowout--I don't quite know what to think at this point.

After Green Bay, I was left thinking there was some shaky play by LBs and the secondary, but the score suggested we hadn't skipped a beat. So I forgot about it.

After San Diego, I was worried. We got torn up in the flat and on short stuff for an entire game, they dominated TOP, and seeing opponents drive down the field at ease and make those end zone completions... it was like watching a different team. But people said "it was the heat," and "we got some bad calls," and okay, fine. Maybe it was. Maybe this was like Tampa Bay 2013, with the added misfortune of being a hot road game.

Denver looked much like the GB game, and I thought we had our mojo back. But watching the D give up huge yards and points in the final minutes gave me terrible flashbacks of 2012; especially the playoffs. Seeing Russell put the team on his back in OT, and everybody play their role though, made me confident.

Then there was Washington, which we were in control of the whole time but which was the sloppiest game I've seen us play in a long time. Offense was anemic, and Kirk Cousins actually laid down a pretty decent stat-line. Hard to imagine that happening last year.

And then Dallas. People are going to say Dallas is the real deal, but I don't buy it. IMO that is a game we blow them out at almost any time last year. Dallas wasn't as hyped as the 2013 Saints, but they come in with a lot of momentum, and those were the games last year where we just completely embarrass teams, and we make shaky QBs like Romo fork the ball over. Instead, after a fast start (thanks to ST), he looks like an all-timer; driving up and down the field like Rivers. We knew they wanted to run Murray, and we couldn't stop him--or Randle. It was about as emasculated and powerless as I've felt since September 2012.

Maybe we're all just spoiled after the dominant 2013 season (I'm sure it's true). But the OL is a penalty-drawing sieve, which is part of RW's lack of success (OL is not even buying the kid a 2-Mississippi). Pass defense looks terrible. LBs are inconsistent. Marshawn's not getting the ball. Run D looked good until yesterday. Percy is not being put in a position to succeed, and hasn't been since GB. Receivers are dropping passes. Guys are getting burned that you rarely saw burned last year. Tackling is awful. We can't get to the QB. We're not forcing turnovers.

The 2013 era is unfortunately over, and there is a blueprint out there for beating the 2014 Seahawks. We need to get off that script, and start doing what we did in 2013. No cute stuff. Line it up and pound the rock, focus on fundamentals. Maybe we don't have the horses to do it again this year, and that's a troubling thought, but it seems to be our best chance. Until and unless, we may have to seriously adjust our expectations.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm normally not mr. negative after a loss. I get there are circumstances and it's a long season. But that wasn't just a bad game; that was this team looking like it's fallen back to earth. I realize there were games last season that we didn't look like superstars in, but yesterday was top to bottom bad.

With all the injuries in the secondary and a complete inability to get pressure on QB's, this defense looks average at best. With a shoddy O-line the offense is done on most plays before they even get going. Sprinkle in some idiot playcalling and that's the game you get.

Honestly I think the long season last year took it's toll on the guys and they just don't seem like healthy players. They look like guys that are worn out at the end of the season playing teams that are ready to go.

No silver linings to this game whatsoever. You lost at home to a conference opponent that will likely be in the hunt for the 1 or 2 seed. You came away with more injuries at key positions. Your players are blowing up on eachother. I can usually find a bright side to these games and take some things away to build on. This one was just bad and everyone trying to down-play it needs to realize that the team we saw yesterday might just be where we are at right now. it pretty much confirmed some concerns from other games so far this season.

I hate to come off like the 'sky is falling'. That's just not my mentality. But that doesn't change the fact that so far this season, this isn't a team that looks like it's got enough in the tank for an other run and the issues I see aren't things that are going to change over night.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
11 games remain. Forget this one, except for the lessons that NEED to be learned (Bevell, please pick up the white courtesy phone).

Back to basics.....Tackling, catching the ball when it is thrown into your hands. Playing off your blocks, all basic stuff.

To me, the schedule has been hard on us with all the inactivity, we have no continuity on offense. On defense take a look at our secondary. It is going to be ok.....lets focus on St. Louis, they play tonight.