Russell Okung has torn labrum in shoulder

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Seahawks left tackle Russell Okung has a torn labrum in his shoulder, according to team sources.

Okung suffered the injury in Week 3 against the Denver Broncos, and has been attempting to play through the pain. There’s no official word on the extent of the tear, although it is believed to be significant.

The Seahawks starting tackle spent part of last season on Injured Reserve with designation to return after tearing a ligament in his toe.

Okung was drafted in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He is currently in the fifth year of a six-year contract with the Seahawks.

A Pro Bowl tackle in 2012, Okung is no stranger to injury, spraining both his ankles in 2010 and tearing his right pectoral muscle in 2011 before missing eight games last year with the toe injury.

The news of Okung’s injury comes at a rough time for the Seahawks battered and bruised offensive line. A foot injury kept starting center Max Unger from playing in Sunday’s 30-23 loss to the Dallas Cowboys. It is not yet known if he will return next week. Tight end Zach Miller is also out following foot surgery in late September.

http://q13fox.com/2014/10/13/russell-ok ... -shoulder/

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Guh LA-AAAASSSS!

unbreakable2.jpg

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So Aros's "inside source" was right. The injury doesn't explain his constant false starts, though. Left tackle needs to be our priority this coming offseason.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3gatdj17 said:
So Aros's "inside source" was right. The injury doesn't explain his constant false starts, though. Left tackle needs to be our priority this coming offseason.

He may be compensating for his injury by trying to get a slight jump on the d-lineman.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Totally explains the false starts because he has to get a jump on the ball to be able to stop the defender. If the defender gets the jump on him, he's toast.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2czjj2a6 said:
Totally explains the false starts because he has to get a jump on the ball to be able to stop the defender. If the defender gets the jump on him, he's toast.
Yep.
So Bailey was active yesterday, right? Is it time to let Okung heal and try Alvin at LT? How long do you all think a torn labrum would take to heal? 8 weeks?

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1akha3ov said:
SalishHawkFan":1akha3ov said:
Yep.
So Bailey was active yesterday, right? Is it time to let Okung heal and try Alvin at LT? How long do you all think a torn labrum would take to heal? 8 weeks?

I'm no doctor, and I didn't sleep at a holiday inn express either, but I have read that an injury like that requires surgery eventually.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Depends on the severity of the tear. There are a few different grades, and each require a different timeline.

When I tore mine, it was slight enough to heal on its own after 6 weeks or so. But with that being said, Im not having 300lb+ guys slamming into me and trying to bull rush by me every week.

Largent80

Reaction score
Ironically, my torn labrum was operated on by the Hawks team surgeon in 2003.

There is no way he should be playing with that injury and given his penchant for making penalties that a rookie would make during training camp, I say shelve him, take our lumps and move on.

He is the MOST penalized OT in the entire league.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I saw him working out yesterday in front of me with a trainer and they were looking like they were doing drills specifically on his left side.

Okung

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Largent80":k17tkn8q said:
.........I say shelve him, take our lumps and move on.

He is the MOST penalized OT in the entire league.
I'm leaning that direction too and for the reason you mentioned as well as general ineffectiveness.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Knew this already from Aros's thread, but now all the reports coming out today suggest that he is going to miss a significant amount of time. Looks like like a crappy o-line is about to get even worse...................smh

hawk45

Reaction score
Aaaagh. Every year with this guy.

Last year it really hurt our offense when he went out. This year my only causes for hope are:

- He was hurting our offense pretty badly anyhow playing injured
- Bailey HAS to be better than McQuistan right?

2_0_6

Reaction score
Can anyone honestly say they have been impressed with Okung this year?

I think all of us on here knew it wasn't if, but when he would miss some games with an injury.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3oa63s7m said:
Didn't know this affected his pre-snap issues.
Lol, just what I was thinking. Totally explains the massive false start issues he has had through his NFL career to date. Sigh.

Hawk_Nation":3oa63s7m said:
Can anyone honestly say they have been impressed with Okung this year?
I've been impressed with him when he's not causing a false start or holding.
So, no, I haven't been impressed with him this year as of yet.

2_0_6

Reaction score
There really is no ideal time to test depth, but I think Id much rather have this happen now than later in the season.

The Panthers don't seems to be playing well without Hardy, and the Rams pass rush seems to have taken a huge step back without Long. With the Raiders and Giants coming in after that, this might be the best stretch to try out Bailey and see what he has.

Don't get me wrong, Id love to keep him in all year but Id rather have him back the last 1/4 of the season if I had to choose.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Bailey has had a few weeks to get right and I hope to goodness he's about ready to go. I still believe in Okung, and admire him immensely for trying to play through the injury, but c'mon. It...just...isn't...working. Some guys are just snake bit when it comes to injuries. He's definitely no sissy.

For his own sake I hope we put him on the shelf until next season. We'll have to make due with Bailey, who at least knows the offense. We'll also need to sign the best street FA we can find or promote someone from a PS. This sucks, but it's gotta be a better alternative to watching this guy put his entire career on the line (while not being terribly effective).

Latest posts