The Amazing Russell Wilson

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Love the guy. By far the best we've ever had at the position. Just wondering if his penchant for not making mistakes (i.e not throwing any interceptions) has him hesitating on chucking that deep ball. Now granted, he threw one or two that were dropped by our guys, but man it seems like he is soo worried about throwing a pick, that he'll take the out of bounds throw away or 4 yard scramble instead. I for one would rather he threw that damn thing down the field more. We have too much speed (Harvin, Lockette, Richardson) to not be doing so. It seems like it ends up down there regardless, only its off of the foot of Jon Ryan. Why not try that deep ball more instead of the same old Harvin jet sweeps, or 5 yard crossing routes to Bryan freaking Walters.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Spot on.

Watch the all 22, you will See Russell look at open guys, then move on in his progression. Usually it is because there was just kind not quite enough separation for his preference.

He likes guys to be pretty open when he goes deep to them.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
hard to throw a good deep ball when a free rusher is in the back field chasing you down before anyone can even get deep.

Not to mention the fact that lockette for whatever reason has apparently been leap frogged in snaps by walters and Richardson is apparently not going to be used this year.

TLDR: Fire Bevell

OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Scottemojo":y9fuxe8w said:
Spot on.

Watch the all 22, you will See Russell look at open guys, then move on in his progression. Usually it is because there was just kind not quite enough separation for his preference.

Yes he does. And when he finally said screw it, and threw it deep, he had done it so sparingly in the game that it ended up in a Int.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FO_ScottKacsmar/status/521796835992948737[/tweet]

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/521797810983694336[/tweet]

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Needs to start trusting that initial read and taking some shots. If you think back to his first ever pre-season, he was largely successful because he made some ballsy throws and relied on receivers to make difficult catches. Some of that is on him. Some of that is on the coaching and the message that's being drilled into his head. We need to start trusting these wide receivers.

Protection is a major issue, but it's not the end-all, be-all. He's getting enough time to throw a pass (which wasn't the case @HOU or @STL last year). The issues that come from his lack of ability to stand-up in a collapsing pocket are being compounded by the hesitation to throw a contested pass. I don't think putting it entirely on the o-line is right. Protecting Wilson comes with its own set of issues that are unique to Wilson. We need to get the ball out faster (maybe that's on scheme; maybe it's on the receivers; maybe it's on the QB's limitations; or maybe a combination of all those things). There are worse o-line situations in this league -- can't just use o-line as the scapegoat.

Mojambo

Reaction score
He has directions from staff not to turn the ball over.

They still think they're playing with an elite defense, maybe they are, but if not they're going to need to let Russ gamble some more.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Mojambo":29xh632u said:
He has directions from staff not to turn the ball over.

They still think they're playing with an elite defense, maybe they are, but if not they're going to need to let Russ gamble some more.

Every QB in the league has directions from staff not to turn the ball over :roll:

Jacknut16

Reaction score
DavidSeven":lqxdwico said:
Needs to start trusting that initial read and taking some shots. If you think back to his first ever pre-season, he was largely successful because he made some ballsy throws and relied on receivers to make difficult catches. Some of that is on him. Some of that is on the coaching and the message that's being drilled into his head. We need to start trusting these wide receivers.

Protection is a major issue, but it's not the end-all, be-all. He's getting enough time to throw a pass (which wasn't the case @HOU or @STL last year). The issues that come from his lack of ability to stand-up in a collapsing pocket are being compounded by the hesitation to throw a contested pass. I don't think putting it entirely on the o-line is right. Protecting Wilson comes with its own set of issues that are unique to Wilson. We need to get the ball out faster (maybe that's on scheme; maybe it's on the receivers; maybe it's on the QB's limitations; or maybe a combination of all those things). There are worse o-line situations in this league -- can't just use o-line as the scapegoat.

Its the number one thing that I worry about with the Hawks future. His inability to get rid of the ball quickly and be effective doing it.
With his limitations in sight how does this improve?

Anthony!

Reaction score
For one his marching orders are not to take chances so that is why unless they are pretty much wide open or he has a free play he will not throw it much down field. Also add that most of those plays are only do to his scrambling and he may not feel he can get it there or judging by the 8 drops in the last 2 games he might not trust his WR right now. His sight is fine so that excuse as it has been since day one is wrong. However here is something to think about

RW has more often than not brought us back and produced some magic to help us win and game like this pas Sunday are few and far between like with any Elite QB. However somethings we tend to forget is he can only do it so long and he is doing it behind one of the worst pass blocking o-lines in the NFL and without a go to WR or anyone even close to a #1, with at best questionable play calling. lets look at a few other QBs

Luck - 6th pass blocking o-line and has TY Hilton, Wyane, Nicks to throw to
P Manning- 4th pass blocking o-line and he has Thomas, Welker, Sanders
Brady 19th ranked pass blocking o-line (ours is now ranked 28th) and he has Gronk, Edelman
Rodger o-line ranked 19th in pass blocking and has Nelson, Cobb to throw to
Brees o-line ranked 5th and he has Graham, cooks, Colson,
Ryan 7th pass blocking o-line and he has Hester, Jones, White, Smith
Rivers 9th o-line, and he has gates, Flyod, Royal, Allen

I think I made my point compared to all of them RW has nothing but until this past Sunday had made lemonade out of lemons. Someone has to step up on this offense besides RW week in and week out, and that would be needed even if we ran the ball more. I mean 8 drops in the last 2 games? Not saying Rw did not play bad, he did, but he got no help from anyone on offense, and unlike other Elite QBs he has not go to guy, like Romo has Dez.

Hard to much when you WR corp would not even get on the field with most other teams, lets remember Tate is gone and PH is not being used in the pass game much.

You can worry all you want given some here said Rw would be nothing when we drafted him and still think sight is an issue when he has proven it is not, all QBs miss guys. The biggest issue is this team is until to run, not to pass hence bad pass blocking, and WR who do not get open much and do not make plays much. WE need a true #1 and a true possession WR, What Rw could do with Engram who always got open or with a DEZ or any other true #1. He has none of this, and the play calling is aweful.

chris98251

Reaction score
What Russell needs is a true pocket, the teams know pushing the middle will force him to move and while he is deadly on the run it becomes a scramble drill, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Quick plays and getting the ball out would do wonders. Saying all that, the one thing we don't focus on is pass protection, we don't draft for it or seemingly coach it up. I remember Holmgren saying the most important thing is the feet and balance of a lineman, our guys have slow feet for the most part which is a big detriment in pass protection when trying to shadow and block pass rushers.

Jville

Reaction score
652cHAWK":thswey6t said:
Who's Richardson?
Yankee second baseman. ..... Five time Golden Glove winner. Turned double plays with SS Tony Kubek and with 3rd baseman Clete Boyer provided the best defensive infield in baseball. Outstanding contact hitter .... very difficult to strike out. Three time World Series winner. MVP.

Bobby Richardson played from 1955 to 1966 when he retired at age 30. He was my role model growing up. I patterned my game, as a second baseman and lead off hitter, after Bobby Richardson. I bet Russell Wilson knows all about Bobby Richardson.

Thanks for asking and for the memories :D

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Jville":3mun1776 said:
652cHAWK":3mun1776 said:
Who's Richardson?
Yankee second baseman. ..... Five time Golden Glove winner. Turned double plays with SS Tony Kubek and with 3rd baseman Clete Boyer provided the best defensive infield in baseball. Outstanding contact hitter .... very difficult to strike out. Three time World Series winner. MVP.

Bobby Richardson played from 1955 to 1966 when he retired at age 30. He was my role model growing up. I patterned my game, as a second baseman and lead off hitter, after Bobby Richardson. I bet Russell Wilson knows all about Bobby Richardson.

1966BobbyRichardsonf

Dabhawk

Reaction score
Ive been noticing he isnt elite in the category of looking off safeties. Doing that helps keep the opposing defense off guard and continue guessing and not reacting. Not ignoring the fact Bevell has been calling horribly inefficient plays on 1st and 2nd down instead of pounding it with the beast. I miss seeing the beautiful play action throws that were set up by pounding the rock!! There is just no set up at all anymore with this offense, we are too predictable.

endzorn

Reaction score
In our two losses this year we had two late drives in each game that could win or tie. In those four drives we turned the ball over on downs twice, had one interception and one punt. ZERO first downs...in four game deciding drives.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2a3m4d04 said:
Spot on.

You know its funny watched all 22 and so did Millan and Huard and MH and all they said was guys were not open. SO either you are missing something, or they are getting open after the fact. Also lets remember it is not RW preference it is PCs.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":37r2shhh said:
Jville":37r2shhh said:
652cHAWK":37r2shhh said:
Who's Richardson?

1966BobbyRichardsonf
[youtube]acYDNlMYAaI[/youtube]

Anthony!

Reaction score
Dabhawk":1t5xkxyo said:
Ive been noticing he isnt elite in the category of looking off safeties. Doing that helps keep the opposing defense off guard and continue guessing and not reacting. Not ignoring the fact Bevell has been calling horribly inefficient plays on 1st and 2nd down instead of pounding it with the beast. I miss seeing the beautiful play action throws that were set up by pounding the rock!! There is just no set up at all anymore with this offense, we are too predictable.

thats funny since they said during the game he did that more than once, and has done a lot in other games. However like all young QBs he can get better at it