Is it possible Wilson's poor play was due to a concussion?

Tokadub

Reaction score
I didn't want to bring this subject up because it's all just theoretical, we have no proof. But if it is true, I doubt it's something the coaches would want to make public... I'm just so mad right now about how we played that game I don't even care anymore of keeping this thought process to myself... OK here goes...

Did anyone else consider that Wilson had a really bad game VS Dallas because he took so many hits last week against the Redskins? Wilson possibly suffered some form of concussion which could explain why he looked so lost out there VS Dallas. It was as if the coaches told Wilson to never run in that game unless he was 100% sure he wouldn't take any hits.

Wilson was more indecisive than I have ever seen him. It was as if he wanted to run on so many plays but didn't because of the coaches. He was also off target with many passes, he dropped the ball on his first run of the game when simply passing it from his right to left hand, and he threw it to Walters for an obvious loss of yards on one of the ugliest plays I've ever seen.

This is all behavior that is extremely uncharacteristic of Wilson, a player who relies entirely on making split second decisions decisively and correctly. It could also explain why we barely ever ran the ball because the coaches were afraid Wilson would take the option to hold onto the ball causing him to take more hits.

Our Offensive line needs to be fixed ASAP but I don't think there's anything we can possibly do with how poorly we handled this off-season.

And please don't blast me for this idea, obviously it's just my opinion of what could of happened which would explain a lot of things in that game offensively.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Tokadub":vs9qofoj said:
I didn't want to bring this subject up because it's all just theoretical, we have no proof. But if it is true, I doubt it's something the coaches would want to make public... I'm just so mad right now about how we played that game I don't even care anymore of keeping this thought process to myself... OK here goes...

Did anyone else consider that Wilson had a really bad game VS Dallas because he took so many hits last week against the Redskins? Wilson possible suffered some form of concussion which could explain why he looked so lost out there VS Dallas. It was as if the coaches told Wilson to never run in that game unless he was 100% sure he wouldn't take any hits.

Wilson was more indecisive than I have ever seen him. It was as if he wanted to run on so many plays but didn't because of the coaches. He was also off target with many passes, he dropped the ball on his first run of the game when simply passing it from his right to left hand, and he threw it to Walters for an obvious loss of yards on one of the ugliest plays I've ever seen.

This is all behavior that is extremely uncharacteristic of Wilson, a player who relies entirely on making split second decisions decisively and correctly. It could also explain why we barely ever ran the ball because the coaches were afraid Wilson would take the option to hold onto the ball causing him to take more hits.

Our Offensive line needs to be fixed ASAP but I don't think there's anything we can possibly do with how poorly we handled this off-season.

And please don't blast me for this idea, obviously it's just my opinion of what could of happened which would explain a lot of things in that game offensively.

It is possible, However 4 drops by our WR did not help, nor them not getting open. Its also possible RW is just tired after that performance Monday and needed some help and got none. I mean he is the only Elite QB to not have a true #1 wr or even a go to guy that almost always gets open, combine that with bad o-line and maybe he is just tired.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
During that Redskins game that's the first thought that came to mind was the tackle from the back and one of the redskins defender going right at him with helmet to helmet, i'm surprised there was no fines for that. That play alone I was thinking crap that's a hard hit and could cause a concussion.

northseahawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3008veu5 said:
It is possible, However 4 drops by our WR did not help, nor them not getting open. Its also possible RW is just tired after that performance Monday and needed some help and got none. I mean he is the only Elite QB to not have a true #1 wr or even a go to guy that almost always gets open, combine that with bad o-line and maybe he is just tired.

That same none-elite ex Seahawk Tate who couldn't get "open," turned out to be an elite-level wr now with another qb. just saying. Maybe the problem is not all with the wrs.

Msfann

Reaction score
He got hit one time during the Cowboys game and got up and he just had a weird look on his face, like something really hurt or he was in a daze.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Elite? I keep hearing all these excuses. Bad blocking, receivers not getting open, bad play calling ext. Wilson is simply not getting the ball out quick enough. Sometimes you have to throw your receiver open and anticipate the route and throw the ball. I see open receivers. For example, it's hard to miss when Lockette is waiving his hands indicating that he's open.

The game film doesn't lie. Brian Billick pointed this out prior to this game about Wilson having trouble finding the open recievers.

cesame

Reaction score
SeaChase":3umx9zjf said:
Elite? I keep hearing all these excuses. Bad blocking, receivers not getting open, bad play calling ext. Wilson is simply not getting the ball out quick enough. Sometimes you have to throw your receiver open and anticipate the route and throw the ball. I see open receivers. For example, it's hard to miss when Lockette is waiving his hands indicating that he's open.

The game film doesn't lie. Brian Billick pointed this out prior to this game about Wilson having trouble finding the open recievers.

And Brock Huard said after watching the film the receivers couldn't win the 1 on 1 matchups

peppersjap

Reaction score
Hard to figure how Tate looks so good with a QB that throws almost every down. I loved Tate but he would have been the same WR here as he was last year....I'm pretty sure he would say the same thing!

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
SeaChase":3s2cisuq said:

Haha, I saw him do this a couple of times, both when he had absolutely no jump on the db and was in no way open, just half heartedly running in one direction waving his hands whilst Wilson's desperately avoiding a sack.

As if people still need convincing how good Russ is. Sure he had a bad game, but a lot of factors also contributed to that. Most of us with an ounce of sense know he'll bounce back, and hopefully he'll do it Sunday.

Anthony!

Reaction score
northseahawk":25psy3nu said:
Anthony!":25psy3nu said:

That same none-elite ex Seahawk Tate who couldn't get "open," turned out to be an elite-level wr now with another qb. just saying. Maybe the problem is not all with the wrs.

Yeah it helps when you are in a pass happy offense and have Calvin Johnson on the other side, Like I said having a true #1 always helps and Tate is getting those rewards.

Anthony!

Reaction score
SeaChase":303eiayd said:

and yet the 22 report showed no one open and the announcers showed no one open., As to Lockette maybe he was but were was Rw at the time, Not much good if Lockette is on one side of the filed and Rw is on the other, OR he got open after Rw ran or was sacked. As to throwing them open, yeah a QB can and RW did but then the Wr also need to make plays and with 8 drops in 2 games not many plays being made. Add to that Rw is now in the top 3 in most hit, hurried and sacked QBs in the league and well their you go.

Anthony!

Reaction score
peppersjap":2o75qmk4 said:
Hard to figure how Tate looks so good with a QB that throws almost every down. I loved Tate but he would have been the same WR here as he was last year....I'm pretty sure he would say the same thing!

As I said its easy when you throw so much, and have a true #1 on the other side. We have no true #1 and our play calling is well bad.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Anthony!":3l8zhuk2 said:
Yeah it helps when you are in a pass happy offense and have Calvin Johnson on the other side, Like I said having a true #1 always helps and Tate is getting those rewards.

Detroit is #18 in pass attempts per game, and Calvin Johnson has been hurt since the 2nd half of Week 3, missed the last game entirely, and was barely utilized the week before.

Tate is ballin' for Detroit. Leads NFL receivers in YAC. Can't diminish what he's doing. Detroit isn't running the same high octane offense that you guys are used to and Calvin hasn't even been on the field long enough to help Golden. You can't explain away his production. He's getting it done in a normal offense as the de facto #1.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2nr884g4 said:
Anthony!":2nr884g4 said:

Detroit is #18 in pass attempts per game, and Calvin Johnson has been hurt since the 2nd half of Week 3, missed the last game entirely, and was barely utilized the week before.

Tate is ballin' for Detroit. Leads NFL receivers in YAC. Can't diminish what he's doing. Detroit isn't running the same high octane offense that you guys are used to and Calvin hasn't even been on the field long enough to help Golden. You can't explain away his production. He's getting it done in a normal offense as the de facto #1.

I've watched a few Lions games and Calvin Johnson's been used as a decoy, and I have no doubt him just being on the field has helped Golden. This week was the first week he was out and Golden struggled his way to 44 yards receiving.

We could definitely do with that big, go to, redzone guy. I'd be surprised if we weren't one of, if not the smallest WR group in the league.

SeaChase

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1141pi8u said:
Screw Brian Billick

Why? Because he's an ex-coach with a Super Bowl ring who can watch game film, pause it, and circle all the people who are open while Wilson scrambles around and takes hits? Are you just mad that he's pointing this out?

He's the 3rd most hit Qb in the league because he scrambles around and takes forever to throw the ball. Now, on Wilson's defense, this "COULD " possibly be because of the play calling "but" we are passing more often now, and there are open receivers.

Percy Harvin isn't a #1 receiver? Funny how these pedestrian receivers were getting it done last year, and now there back to pedestrian who can't get open. We don't have Tate any more, but was he a legitimate #1 receiver?

Elite Qb's make receivers good.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SeaChase":14kwugcr said:
SoulfishHawk":14kwugcr said:
Screw Brian Billick

Why? Because he's an ex-coach with a Super Bowl ring who can watch game film, pause it, and circle all the people who are open while Wilson scrambles around and takes hits? Are you just mad that he's pointing this out?

He's the 3rd most hit Qb in the league because he scrambles around and takes forever to throw the ball. Now, on Wilson's defense, this "COULD " possibly be because of the play calling "but" we are passing more often now, and there are open receivers.

Percy Harvin isn't a #1 receiver? Funny how these pedestrian receivers were getting it done last year, and now there back to pedestrian who can't get open. We don't have Tate any more, but was he a legitimate #1 receiver?

You in no way addressed the counterpoint to your post that was made stating Brock Huard said WRs were not getting open. Why? He's an ex-QB that played in the NFL. I believe Warren Moon has said the same thing and he's in the HOF. Did you ever think that maybe Billick wants to see Russ fail because he was one of the many that said he would at the NFL level? I don't know whether he was or not, but considering 2 ex-NFL QBs have said the opposite, I'm suspicious that Billick has some sort of axe to grind in this situation. That's not to say Russ doesn't miss open receivers. Of course he does. All QBs do.

Some people automatically blame the QB for every struggle an offense has and maybe you're one of those guys. All I know is I saw like 3 plays in a row in the latter part of the 2nd quarter (IIRC) where he actually had plenty of time to throw (it isn't all the o-line either folks, it's never as simple as one thing being the problem) and stood back there with nowhere to put the ball and Aikman said as much.

And yes, Russ had a poor game Sunday too. The entire offense pretty much did. This post is not meant to make ecuses for him. It is never as simple as one area of the unit being the source of the problems be it QB, o-line, WRs, play calling, etc. This game was a shit storm of all of the above IMO.

SeaChase

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":k9z0izbv said:
SeaChase":k9z0izbv said:
SoulfishHawk":k9z0izbv said:
Screw Brian Billick

You in no way addressed the counterpoint to your post that was made stating Brock Huard said WRs were not getting open. Why? He's an ex-QB that played in the NFL. I believe Warren Moon has said the same thing and he's in the HOF. Did you ever think that maybe Billick wants to see Russ fail because he was one of the many that said he would at the NFL level? I don't know whether he was or not, but considering 2 ex-NFL QBs have said the opposite, I'm suspicious that Billick has some sort of axe to grind in this situation. That's not to say Russ doesn't miss open receivers. Of course he does. All QBs do.

Some people automatically blame the QB for every struggle an offense has and maybe you're one of those guys. All I know is I saw like 3 plays in a row in the latter part of the 2nd quarter (IIRC) where he actually had plenty of time to throw (it isn't all the o-line either folks, it's never as simple as one thing being the problem) and stood back there with nowhere to put the ball and Aikman said as much.

And yes, Russ had a poor game Sunday too. The entire offense pretty much did. This post is not meant to make ecuses for him. It is never as simple as one area of the unit being the source of the problems be it QB, o-line, WRs, play calling, etc. This game was a shit storm of all of the above IMO.

I didn't address it because I haven't heard their opinion personally. I saw Billick's segment with my own eyes and what he was saying and showing was spot on. I'm constantly yelling " throw the damn ball" during the games. In the very first game, the first thing I noticed was how quick Wilson was getting the ball out compared to last season. Then, for whatever reason, he went right back to being hesitant and holding the ball to long.

Like you said, this and offensive woes could be for numerous reasons.

However, you didn't address the Elite Qb question. Elite Qb's make pedestrians receivers look good. So is he really Elite, or is he just an Elite game manager?

Latest posts