Terrance Williams catch

seahawks187

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything on this and I'm not sure if everyone gets the exact same fox feed across America (like missing the entire first quarter and some of the 2nd because they were showing the OT game). But when that play happened and they were showing replays when seattle decided to challenge they were showing angles and only talking about whether or not his toes were in or not and they showed an angle when the damn coach wasn't in the way and shows the ball and it looked like the ball might of hit the ground but IDK because it cut to commercial RIGHT AWAY before it showed the whole process of the catch.. and right when they came back from the commercial break they said the play stood and never showed that angle of the play .. and not once did anyone talk about completing the process of the catch.. I'm not trying to say it wasn't a catch I'm just irritated about the whole thing and I feel like I'm the only person who noticed this.. maybe one of you saw this?? I saw it live and went back and watched the glimpse of that replay a few times .. but like I said everyone was focused on the toes .. anyways just needed to get that off my chest.. go hawks

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Same here. I thought for sure the tip of the ball hit the ground and thus it would be incomplete. But all they focused on was the toes. I'd like to see a full replay from that angle before I say the refs screwed up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What annoyed me more is Irvin whiffing the sack and our DB's not being able to stop a 20 yard completion.

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
Hmmm interesting question. I don't recall it ever showing an angle where they ever questioned rather the catch was made or not other than if the toes got in.

drdiags

Reaction score
Some times you have to stop a 3rd and 20.

Until the game is fully high-tech, the element of uncertainty is a big factor in all this. It was a remarkable play on Romo/Williams part. The sideline shot from the back of the players/coaches obscured the view and the only other shot had Williams sliding into a sea of Cowboys. At that point, you have to go with the sideline judge.

OP
OP
S

seahawks187

Reaction score
do u have the game recorded? go back and look at the angle they show right before they cut to commercial break.. I'm not saying it was a catch or wasn't I'm just saying I want to see that full replay from that angle because they cut it off going to commercial and when they came back from commercial they were already ruling it a catch

Usually replays take longer and they show everything and go talk to that douch Pereira dude and get his thoughts on the play and all that but yeah.. if u have the game recorded go back and look

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think it was a lucky play for romo, as I'm pretty sure the ball was intended for witten. Williams made an amazing play though. Reminded me of a play Doug Baldwin made last year.

pehawk

Reaction score
That's what the Seahawks defense does; forces opposing QB and WR's to make incredible plays to defeat them. It's what the Seahawks do if you boil it all down to the simplest of terms.

Sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

drdiags

Reaction score
No need to go look. Replay is a volatile tool. Do you think the Keyshaun Johnson catch in the back of the endzone on the 04 Dallas MNF game was a catch? The list goes on and on. There are mistakes made by officiating crews all the time and replay is not absolute. Even if they cut away for commercial, my belief is that the coaches upstairs have access to all the angles and just not what we are seeing live.

They had more than enough time to deliberate on whether to challenge or not. I hope venting helps but at this point it is like debating the magic bullet.

EDIT: But I do have NFL Rewind, so I will give it a look on the All-22 and the live broadcast. Maybe do a screen grab.

TCHawkfan

Reaction score
It was a great catch but you really need to stop 3rd & 20! You let the receiver get behind you. C'mon man...

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I heard (but did not have a copy of the game to verify) that the Hawks had 12 men on Defense on the next play, so Pete was going to have to call a timeout anyway. Since the 3rd and 20 was such a huge play, he just challenged instead on the off chance that it might be overturned. But we would have had to use a timeout either way.

I don't know if that's true, like I said: I cannot verify it for myself. Maybe one of you can put that rumor to rest.

OP
OP
S

seahawks187

Reaction score
@drdiags I understand bro and I'm not trying to say it was a catch or wasn't.. And pete threw the flag because it was such a big play and also if you watch the cowboys were coming up to the LOS quick and defenders were running off and on the field so the challenge had to be thrown just as a timeout if anything.. It's worth the look man trust me

And obvious Irvin should of had Romo, especially, considering Romo did that to JJ Watt last week..and yes we should of stopped the 3rd and 20..just like we should of held them to a FG after that.. ETC ETC.. I'm not trying to talk about any of that stuff lol.. all I was asking is if any of you saw this scenario of the replays of this catch and what all of ur opinions were X.X

Reaction score
I watched the catch a number of times on NFL Rewind and it does look like he taps both toes for a milisecond before flying out of bounds, he also appears to turn his body as he goes to the ground, thus preventing the ball from touching the ground.

HAVING SAID ALL OF THIS, I kind of get annoyed at how so much emphasis is placed on controlling the ball while going to the ground or out of bounds on some catches...where they end up getting waved off because possession in bounds could not be established, and yet, on a play like this, where a dude is flying out of bounds, all he has to do is miraculously extend his feet at a weird angle and somehow that establishes him as in-bounds. I much prefer the Doug Baldwini sort of catches where he tiptoes as he's falling out of bounds and his toes stay touching the ground. Does that make any sense?

drdiags

Reaction score
seahawks187":kfrxzs2d said:
@drdiags I understand bro and I'm not trying to say it was a catch or wasn't.. And pete threw the flag because it was such a big play and also if you watch the cowboys were coming up to the LOS quick and defenders were running off and on the field so the challenge had to be thrown just as a timeout if anything.. It's worth the look man trust me

Got it. I guess at the time I was just dumbfounded that the defense had allowed this play to happen. I originally thought his feet would not be in bounds until the replay showed his feet, then I was resigned to the fact that these guys were letting this slip through their fingers.

I wondered about control but from the shots I could not tell. So I will go look for my own curiousity and will be bummed if it shows he bobbled it but wouldn't be shocked one way or the other. You make your own luck and these dudes were spent. They were just fish on a hook by then. Probably would have given up a 4th and 20 if replay had reversed it.

Just one of those days.

EDIT: And yes, in most cases the networks show plays over and over when there is little doubt so I guess they needed those beer bucks more than highlighting a turning point in the game.

OP
OP
S

seahawks187

Reaction score
@chrome_hawk .. I'm not sure if nflrewind will show the scenario of the replays that I'm talking about

Bobblehead

Reaction score
It's possible that the challenge by Seattle was whether or not the player was in-bounds so It's also possible that as stupid as it seem, the refs only looked at feet and not the play as a whole.

Maybe if he had asked the challenge was it a legitimate catch, they might have looked at the whole process.

A

Anonymous

pehawk":3w2w7s7c said:
That's what the Seahawks defense does; forces opposing QB and WR's to make incredible plays to defeat them. It's what the Seahawks do if you boil it all down to the simplest of terms.

Sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

Exactly.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2mxacc3v said:
It's possible that the challenge by Seattle was whether or not the player was in-bounds so It's also possible that as stupid as it seem, the refs only looked at feet and not the play as a whole.

Maybe if he had asked the challenge was it a legitimate catch, they might have looked at the whole process.

the look at the whole process.

Not sure they could see it all, given he fell into a crowd of players off the field.. but i'm certain the replay officials look for everything

(I think)

OP
OP
S

seahawks187

Reaction score
they look at everything? check the harvin TD vs the chargers lol.. they make mistakes all the time.. once again I'm not screaming conspiracy or anything I was just simply asking if any of you guys noticed this and if you recorded the game, go back and look at it and let me know ur opinion