Harvin

OkieHawk

Reaction score
This is how Harvin should be utilized, this video is from 2009, one of the last years Bevell was in MN. He should be utilized as a WR more than we have been to mix it up. Dude can get separation and has great hands. Per FO MN was 14th in pass pro that year, so pretty run of the mill as well. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2009

[youtube]kuRt9pz5ITY[/youtube]

blkhwk

Reaction score
Yes indeed!

Don't know where Bevell got it into his head the Harvin could not play as a traditional WR!

marko358

Reaction score
blkhwk":3shbn0vj said:
Yes indeed!

Don't know where Bevell got it into his head the Harvin could not play as a traditional WR!

I'm dumbfounded at how little he has been used past the LOS. I'm surprised we haven't started lining up in the wishbone with Harvin, Marshawn, and Turbin behind Russ.

Maybe Bevell got concussed on the sidelines and thinks it's 1905, before the forward pass was legalized in football.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
blkhwk":3a4ngys1 said:
Yes indeed!

I think he got it from Pete. Pete is too scared he going to get injured again so we get these silly bubble screens, jet sweeps and whatever the heck that abomination was to Walters.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
love the ref getting blown up at the 3 min mark

northseahawk

Reaction score
Getting those types plays out of Harvin is not going to happen if the QB refuses to throw the damn ball. RW is the Anti-Farve!

AgentDib

Reaction score
As mentioned, Bevell was the OC in this video with plenty of deep stuff to Harvin. He was also the OC last year against the Saints where we threw deep to Harvin a couple of times; it was extremely effective but do you remember the shots Harvin took when Wilson floated the ball a little bit in the endzone?

The more likely alternative to Bevell suddenly getting amnesia is that we thought we could dial stuff back to keep Harvin and Lynch healthy over the course of a long season (and for the playoffs) and still win games by being efficient and playing great defense. This hasn't been completely successful but we are still 3-2, and given that we are third in the NFC West I think we'll see more Lynch runs and Harvin down field as we have to open things up a bit more than we would have wanted.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2nt13xok said:
This is how Harvin should be utilized, this video is from 2009, one of the last years Bevell was in MN. He should be utilized as a WR more than we have been to mix it up. Dude can get separation and has great hands. Per FO MN was 14th in pass pro that year, so pretty run of the mill as well. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2009

[youtube]kuRt9pz5ITY[/youtube]
Agreed...but keep in mind that Favre did whatever he wanted in Minnesota. Not even proper to give Bevell credit there, IMO, considering what Childress specifically says in this article, lol: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... gs-offense

Brad Childress":2nt13xok said:
"He did a great job getting us out of a couple runs that had a low probability of success and actually took one to the side where we gained a bunch of yards," Childress said. "He did that on his own."
That's just referring to one game, ha.

Unleash the DangeRuss one...

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1pymikou said:
blkhwk":1pymikou said:
Yes indeed!

I think he got it from Pete. Pete is too scared he going to get injured again so we get these silly bubble screens, jet sweeps and whatever the heck that abomination was to Walters.

I think I made out Russ mouthing 'derpa pitch to derpy Walters derp' in the huddle before that play, so that's what I'm going to call it.

Did Harvin used to be a WR? Who'da thunk it?

Looking forward to seeing how we fix this, Sunday can't come quick enough.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Did you see how Brett Favre was playing? Did you see how he owned the pocket.

Tell RW to play like Favre that year and you have a shot.

chimpanjesus

Reaction score
razgriz737":m1ms0wkf said:
Passing to Harvin beyond the LOS? Nonsense.

More option plays to Bryan Walters please.

exactly what i was saying a few weeks ago and got crapped on for. the fact that bryan walters is getting any work in this offense at all is ridiculous.

OP
OP
OkieHawk

OkieHawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2eq5zrg4 said:
Did you see how Brett Favre was playing? Did you see how he owned the pocket.

Tell RW to play like Favre that year and you have a shot.

Favre also had times, many in fact, that he did not own the pocket. I watch alot of MN football as the wife is from there.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
OkieHawk":143sy9tw said:
Favre also had times, many in fact, that he did not own the pocket. I watch alot of MN football as the wife is from there.
Indeed, and Favre was also a master of not throwing the ball away when he should have and side-arming crap all over the place for huge plays...Both positive and negative. I lived in Wisconsin during the 90s, I had to watch way more of him than I ever wanted to.

Basis4day

Reaction score
There were an awful lot of screen passes and kick returns in that video.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":19mr3aws said:
OkieHawk":19mr3aws said:
Indeed, and Favre was also a master of not throwing the ball away when he should have and side-arming crap all over the place for huge plays...Both positive and negative. I lived in Wisconsin during the 90s, I had to watch way more of him than I ever wanted to.

Compared to RW he was Peyton Manning as far as pocket-hugging.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1y4visf6 said:
Question for you. Can we agree that Russell is worse at staying in the pocket when he should be as of late? As in, worse than say, the average last year?

Wagon12

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1aofozj0 said:
SonicHawk":1aofozj0 said:
Question for you. Can we agree that Russell is worse at staying in the pocket when he should be as of late? As in, worse than say, the average last year?

Could this be due to the fact that he doesn't have a lot of faith in the OL?