Cassius Marsh and Bruce Irvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Does anyone else think Cassius Marsh has been playing extremely well, even in rushing situations which was supposedly a weakness on his part? I am honestly tired of Bruce Irvin rushing the passer. He is extremely jittery, and carries almost no lower body power when rushing. And he commits so many DUMB penalties. Being the 12th man on the field. Pushing people out of bounds (many times). And the latest that (luckily) wasn't called: falling on Romo's head, after he had already given himself up for the sack. I am not gonna pretend to be a positions genius, I don't know how well Marsh's skillset matches up to what Irvin is asked to do, but would I be crazy to say I wouldn't mind Marsh taking away some of Irvin's snaps?

blkhwk

Reaction score
Marsh currently has 0 sacks, and 0 QB pressures, so you may be down on Bruce, can't fault that, but Marsh may not be the answer (Yet)

sc85sis

Reaction score
How long are we punishing Bruce for a single penalty that occurred weeks ago? He's actually been playing very well, but much of what he's being asked to do doesn't show up in a stat sheet.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Bruce has been playing well and HARD.
Much better than in past

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
seahawksny":1i44agz7 said:
Much better than in past

"Better than in the past" isn't saying much, besides the first half of his rookie season. I don't think there are many stats to back up you saying he has been playing well. He has made a couple of tackles stopping the run, but the few times I have seen it happen was basically because he was blocked straight into the running lane.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
To my untrained eye, Marsh is looking small out there. I know he's listed at over 6ft 3' and supposedly bulked up, but he doesn't look like a defensive lineman.

I keep an eye on Bruce every now and then, and more often than not he seems to get some decent pressure, he just doesn't seem to finish, it's really frustrating.

blkhwk

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1486zeat said:
seahawksny":1486zeat said:
Much better than in past

"Better than in the past" isn't saying much, besides the first half of his rookie season. I don't think there are many stats to back up you saying he has been playing well. He has made a couple of tackles stopping the run, but the few times I have seen it happen was basically because he was blocked straight into the running lane.

Might not be many stats to back it up, at least he has stats!!!! Marsh is getting owned out there

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
blkhwk":39fq6saz said:
bbsplitter":39fq6saz said:
seahawksny":39fq6saz said:
Much better than in past

Might not be many stats to back it up, at least he has stats!!!! Marsh is getting owned out there

Marsh is my favorite rookie, so I watch every game very closely for when he comes in. He doesn't get many reps, but I can guarantee you, he is not getting "owned out there". Far from it, most the time.

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":6qqgt2me said:
To my untrained eye, Marsh is looking small out there. I know he's listed at over 6ft 3' and supposedly bulked up, but he doesn't look like a defensive lineman.

I keep an eye on Bruce every now and then, and more often than not he seems to get some decent pressure, he just doesn't seem to finish, it's really frustrating.

Marsh is small, but it's not like Irvin is a world-beater himself out there though. I guess Irvin does have the head start with the PED's tho :34853_doh: haha.

Basis4day

Reaction score
You can't simply use stats to tell if someone is making an impact on the field. You need to consider their role and scheme.

Here are some stats.

In the 2013 Regular Season:

Player A: 31 tackles, 9 assisted tackles, and 2 sacks. Missed 4 games.

Player B: 21 tackles, 24 assisted tackles, and 0 sacks. Missed 0 games.

One of those players is Bruce Irvin, a common source of ire by the fanbase.
The other is Brandon Mebane, one of our best defensive players.

But if you only look at stats, you're not taking into account Mebane's role as a DT. It's the same as looking at Russell's passing yards and attempts and saying hes not a top QB in the league.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sc85sis":l1oepj6z said:
How long are we punishing Bruce for a single penalty that occurred weeks ago? He's actually been playing very well, but much of what he's being asked to do doesn't show up in a stat sheet.

He played very well in the Skins game, but was not very effective Sunday, and his whiffed sack that would have won the game still has me fired up.

Am I hard on Bruce? Yes, because I'm tired of talking about the inconsistent Bruce Irvin and am waiting for him to finally realize his potential as the player we all thought we were getting when he was drafted.

Largent80

Reaction score
Marsh has been kinda invisible, which you would expect from a rookie DE.

Irvin has been playing pretty well, but sure wish he would have gotten that game saving sack.

seahawks187

Reaction score
I think irvin has been arguably our best pass rusher this season.. The fact of the matter and the point a lot of people miss is the simple fact that last season it wasn't until almost mid way thru the season when pete and quinn figured out the rotation they wanted to use on the dline.. takes time.. the other thing is last season our secondary was deeper + healthier which resulted in a lot of coverage sacks.. It's a two way street with the secondary and pass rush.. if u have a great pass rush it will make a secondary look good.. if u have a great secondary it's going to make your pass rush numbers look better.. last year we had both ultimately which resulted in a ton of turnovers

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":353kp4nv said:
Am I hard on Bruce? Yes, because I'm tired of talking about the inconsistent Bruce Irvin and am waiting for him to finally realize his potential as the player we all thought we were getting when he was drafted.

Could be difficult since they switched his position. Not sure what you're hoping for now.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I've actually liked Bruce's season thus far. Thought Marsh had a nice game against the Broncos. And I've liked Jordan Hill as well - he had excellent pressure on the huge int Kam got off of Manning.

The Hawks have good players; a lot of whom are young and have upside. It has taken very good players making ridiculous and hard to repeat plays to narrowly beat the Hawks (Rivers - Gates; Romo-Williams). Some times you gotta tip your hat to the men on the other squad.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Basis4day":3p67prd7 said:
Sgt. Largent":3p67prd7 said:

Could be difficult since they switched his position. Not sure what you're hoping for now.

Why'd he switch positions?

kearly

Reaction score
Irvin has impressed the last two weeks at DE.

Marsh did some really nice things in the preseason. I won't rush to judgement for a player who has fairly obvious talent.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":51z5xswe said:
Basis4day":51z5xswe said:
Sgt. Largent":51z5xswe said:

Why'd he switch positions?

It is my understanding that it was a means of ensuring that he still got on the field while Avril and Clemons were the primary pass rushers. This year, however, I believe that he is being put in his best fit possible: doing a nice job against the run going up against TEs in running situations, and edge rushing more than last year with Clemons now gone (though to be fair to his skill set he looked really good in coverage last season too; especially against Jimmy Graham).

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I like marsh, but he needs to add some size. Irvin is IMO doing well

Status
Not open for further replies.