Why was Walters in on 8 of 11 plays and not Harvin

StoneCold

Reaction score
I know there are way too many threads on Harvin, but this was a most interesting stat I got from KJR. In the second half there were 11 plays with 3 or more WR. In 8 of those Walters was lined up and Harvin was on the sideline. That is just weird and makes me think something is going on. It's as if the whole team is concussed.

Discuss.

SC

falcongoggles

Reaction score
StoneCold":3c3276yp said:
I know there are way too many threads on Harvin, but this was a most interesting stat I got from KJR. In the second half there were 11 plays with 3 or more WR. In 8 of those Walters was lined up and Harvin was on the sideline. That is just weird and makes me think something is going on. It's as if the whole team is concussed.

Discuss.

SC

I hate threads or Facebook posts that say "discuss." I'm not your B#$*%, don't tell me what to do.

That said, Harvin > Walters and it's not even close.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hey you're making me vaklempt. I really don't get why you would have so many plays without Harvin. Truly makes no sense.

On totally off topic topic, I love Firenze. Actually I love all of Italy. Have travelled there on three 3 week vacations. Haven't been for 5 or 6 years. Really need to get back. Are you an Italian or just lucky enough to work there?

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
I really don't think Bevel makes sideline personnel decisions. I'm not one of those that knee jerk after a loss and want to fire everyone.

SC

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If Harvin is being held out of plays, it's because it's an overall decision (top-down) to either A) preserve his health; or B) preserve his speed. That or Percy is taking himself out.

I don't like the Walters plays either. But he's the only other player on the team who can apparently run Percy's portion of the offense when he's sitting for half the snaps.

I knew he needed to be rested more than an average WR, but this is a lot. He's being paid an awful lot to be a change-of-pace player. But again, this either has to do with his health or his speed. If the coaches could guarantee he could play full-speed and remain durable for 100% of the snaps, then he would play 100% of the snaps.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
The health question was answered well by Mitch in the morning. If Percy wasn't healthy he wouldn't be doing kick off returns. I would be shocked if he needs that much rest. Where did you hear needs extra rest?

SC

DavidSeven

Reaction score
StoneCold":1hx0h7is said:
The health question was answered well by Mitch in the morning. If Percy wasn't healthy he wouldn't be doing kick off returns. I would be shocked if he needs that much rest. Where did you hear needs extra rest?

SC

I didn't hear it. This was typical in Minny. I don't know the exact numbers, but he was rested on a number of snaps. However, they also used him a lot more.

And again, if they're resting him, there's a reason. It's either health or speed because they're running his plays without him, so it's not about personnel groupings.

hoxrox

Reaction score
From what I gathered from one of PC's interviews, they use him on motions and plays on 1st and 2nd, so he gets a breather on 3rd down... to paraphrase, he said it depends on the preceding plays.

Also they have different personnel packages for 3rd down and distance situations and PC expects any personnel grouping called upon to be able to compete and make plays...

Back to the drawing board with that approach, imo.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Salk actually hit Pete with this question and Carroll gave the answer you would expect. It's just my opinion but I got the feeling Pete actually agreed and internally at least, was upset about it. Its just as likely that he was mad that the question was even asked. If Norwood and/or Ricardson are healthy then there is no excuse for Walters playing.

seedhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":7degn5vy said:
StoneCold":7degn5vy said:

SC

I didn't hear it. This was typical in Minny. I don't know the exact numbers, but he was rested on a number of snaps. However, they also used him a lot more.

And again, if they're resting him, there's a reason. It's either health or speed because they're running his plays without him, so it's not about personnel groupings.

I beg to differ. Actually it is all about personnel groupings. If PH needs to sit out a play or two, why in hell would you call plays that bring his replacement on the field instead of a different group?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3la2jqgu said:
If Harvin is being held out of plays, it's because it's an overall decision (top-down) to either A) preserve his health; or B) preserve his speed. That or Percy is taking himself out.

I don't like the Walters plays either. But he's the only other player on the team who can apparently run Percy's portion of the offense when he's sitting for half the snaps.

I knew he needed to be rested more than an average WR, but this is a lot. He's being paid an awful lot to be a change-of-pace player. But again, this either has to do with his health or his speed. If the coaches could guarantee he could play full-speed and remain durable for 100% of the snaps, then he would play 100% of the snaps.

Replacing Harvin with Walters is like replacing a Lambroghini with a Hyundai. God that analogy fits in so many ways.

Basis4day

Reaction score
austinslater25":1zxsm6yc said:
Salk actually hit Pete with this question and Carroll gave the answer you would expect. It's just my opinion but I got the feeling Pete actually agreed and internally at least, was upset about it. Its just as likely that he was mad that the question was even asked. If Norwood and/or Ricardson are healthy then there is no excuse for Walters playing.

Except for the limitations of the 46 man game day roster and the fact they need Walters to return punts.

Ozzy

Reaction score
They don't need walters to return punts and if it's at the expense of someone else causing you to use walters as a focal point in the offense something is wrong. Very wrong.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Perhaps it much simplier than, maybe all these opportunities for Walters is them trying to justify keeping him on the roster. And its not looking really good.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Harvin was playing with a thigh injury as I recall. He may have needed more rest between snaps in this game.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
Do we all agree that Walters is a pretty terrible option as a WR?

If Harvin isn't in on 3rd downs, I think the thing that makes the most sense is to move Baldwin to the slot and have Kearse and Lockette (or Richardson if he dresses) on the outside.

I have a lot more confidence in that option. Baldwin was much effective in his role last year.

Jville

Reaction score
I don't view Walters as terrible. He has a role in their rotation.

peppersjap

Reaction score
The biggest problem everyone around me had at the end of the game was why Walters was on the field? He has no business being on the field. He is a very brave punt returner but is a very marginal WR that is proven by the fact he was already cut this year. We have a 2nd and a 4th round choice in this years draft not even playing or being activated while we put the local boy feel good story on the field. How about if we let Richardson or Michael return punts and and maybe see if Norwood can catch a pass. Brian Walters is probably my least favorite Seahawk since Charlie Whitehurst!