Hawks re-sign Greg Scruggs

kidhawk

Reaction score
arghawkfan":1rbr6b4h said:
Hope he can provide a little bit of inside pass rush, and maybe the Clinton McDonald effect of being released and brought back applies to Scruggs as well.. Steven Tyrell was waived to make room

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7673/greg-scruggs

I don't see Scruggs as much added value on the pass rush. He's had a tough time even getting activated on gameday.

I too wonder if they are going to play alternating week signings with Scruggs and Terrell this year? It's something they've done in the past to keep players around that they like but didn't have roster space.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Pretty much knew this would happen. The Hawks really love Scruggs and he loves the Seahawks. I said when he was released that they probably told him to stay by his phone cause they would bring him back soon. Needed his spot, so they worked out a deal with him.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Not sure I understand this. We have major depth problems in the Secondary, not necessarily on the DL. I understand them wanting to keep these guys around but maybe Pete and company have better info on the health of our ailing Cornerbacks?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2ec8dvf0 said:
Not sure I understand this. We have major depth problems in the Secondary, not necessarily on the DL. I understand them wanting to keep these guys around but maybe Pete and company have better info on the health of our ailing Cornerbacks?

There is no way Pete and Co have more information on the health of our cornerbacks. No way. No how.

kmedic

Reaction score
The development of Scruggs has to be one of the major disappointments of the season so far. There was a LOT of hype about him in the offseason losing weight, gaining muscle, and being the guy to replace the loss of Red Bryant and Clinton McDonald. I don't think he's played a single regular season snap so far this year and the fact that was waived last week tells you all you need to know- he sucks.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kmedic":1bcr9nws said:
The development of Scruggs has to be one of the major disappointments of the season so far. There was a LOT of hype about him in the offseason losing weight, gaining muscle, and being the guy to replace the loss of Red Bryant and Clinton McDonald. I don't think he's played a single regular season snap so far this year and the fact that was waived last week tells you all you need to know- he sucks.

If waiving him says "all we need to know", then what does re-signing him today say?

pehawk

Reaction score
kmedic":1dq2o2qa said:

True. I expect 7th rounders, fresh off ACL tears, to contribute right away.

kmedic

Reaction score
kidhawk":3hxwxb65 said:
kmedic":3hxwxb65 said:

If waiving him says "all we need to know", then what does re-signing him today say?

It can't be good.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I don't think the Seahawks releasing Scruggs had anything to do with his talent or lack of.

Not every single roster move has to be dissected with a player getting ripped apart to be analyzed against weighted expectations.

It could just be a numbers game and the Seahawks needed bodies in their secondary.

And the reason why he isn't getting PT is because he had a setback with his knee I believe after the last PS game, then Williams and Hill kind of settled into effective roles in the rotation and Scruggs became the odd man out. It happens, especially when you have to carry 7 WRs and keep 5-6 active when most teams roll with 4. It happens when teams are forced to sit 7 players every week regardless if they are healthy or not.

Frankly, though I would like to see them get Scruggs some PT. I would deactivate Marsh for now because I think they have way too many pass-rushers that they are trying to get snaps. And especially since Irvin has been working his way back into the mix this year as one of the better pass-rushers on the team this far.

I just would like to see Quinn, bring back the Bryant D-Line with the starters being:

Bennett - Williams - Mebane - McDaniel

Hill and Scruggs rotating with the Big Bads to keep them fresh.

With Avril and Schofield taking over for Bennett every so often to keep all the pass-rushers fresh.

Then in the Nickel you'd bring in;

Irvin/Schofield, Bennett, Hill/Williams, Avril

The Base D-Line wears out the O-Line down, and the Nickel D-Line reaps the benefit.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kmedic":hywlqg2v said:
kidhawk":hywlqg2v said:
kmedic":hywlqg2v said:

It can't be good.

We don't sign good players?

hoxrox

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":35jr3hnb said:

Yeah but at the same time, we haven't been able to generate much interior pressure this year, which has been a factor in why teams are beating us deep. QBs are able to step up into the pocket.

Is Scruggs or Jordan Hill supposed to be the players that replaces a McDonald or Jason Jones? It doesn't look good to me, but obviously they know something we don't.

Jville

Reaction score
They really only needed four 300lb linemen on game day verses pass first teams. Greg Scruggs likely will come into play before the season is out.

FS Steven Terrell is a development player. I would assume he will return to the practice squad.

I thought Marcus Burley played better than expected on the outside. He continues to compete and has played well as a nickle.

Tharold Simon appears on schedule to return this week.

All is well.

CANHawk

Reaction score
hoxrox":1l7mcs5d said:
Evil_Shenanigans":1l7mcs5d said:

Yeah but at the same time, we haven't been able to generate much interior pressure this year, which has been a factor in why teams are beating us deep. QBs are able to step up into the pocket.

Is Scruggs or Jordan Hill supposed to be the players that replaces a McDonald or Jason Jones? It doesn't look good to me, but obviously they know something we don't.

Bennett was the guy who replaced Jason Jones as the interior pass rusher last year. What’s missing is the guy who replaced Bennett as the DE when he moves inside. Having Bennett and McDonald book ended by Avril and Clemmons was bad ass. That unit is still struggling to find itself. Have hope for Schofield, but he's a noticeable step down from Clem.

Tokadub

Reaction score
From what I've seen Schofield is the guy who is most likely to get production if given the chance out of all our "maybe this could work options".

I'm not sure about his snap counts this year but it seems he has done really well in the past.

I think Marsh and Irvin have looked better than Scruggs. But maybe I wasn't watching carefully enough on each individual.

Edit: Here's the snap counts VS Dallas

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2014/10/13/seahawks-snap-counts/

Schofield had 21 snaps, and I didn't really notice his presence so that's not encouraging.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tokadub":ca6uelx6 said:
From what I've seen Schofield is the guy who is most likely to get production if given the chance out of all our "maybe this could work options".

I'm not sure about his snap counts this year but it seems he has done really well in the past.

I think Marsh and Irvin have looked better than Scruggs. But maybe I wasn't watching carefully enough on each individual.

Edit: Here's the snap counts VS Dallas

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2014/10/13/seahawks-snap-counts/

Schofield had 21 snaps, and I didn't really notice his presence so that's not encouraging.

There were a lot of players that didn't have their presence noticed on Sunday, well except Okung.

AgentDib

Reaction score
chris98251":sybm6cb5 said:
There were a lot of players that didn't have their presence noticed on Sunday, well except Okung.
Most noticed lineman in the NFL this year. Hooray!?

Latest posts