Total Snap Counts for all Seahawk Players in 2014

Tokadub

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this link since I personally haven't checked this out yet and it might show some interesting stuff about how we are using our personnel for anyone who wants to see and evaluate/analyze. I'll probably look into this more later tonight, especially for our Wide Receivers and how many targets we are giving them compared to their snap counts.

SNAP_COUNT_WEEK_6_TOTAL.jpg

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
OK here's the percentage of our Wide Receiver targets in comparison to their snap count.

Player's Receiving Targets / Player's Total Offensive Snaps = Player's Target % Rate

1) Walters = 18.87%
2) Harvin = 14.36%
3) Lockette = 11.76%
4) Baldwin = 8.89%
5) Kearse = 7.33%
6) Richardson = 2.63%

So Walters is our most targeted player when he's in there... which either means he is getting a ton of designed plays or he is actually better than all of our other guys at getting open which is frightening :shock:

What I don't like here is that our two most targeted receivers are averaging very little yards per catch...

Harvin is averaging just 6 yards per catch.
Walters is averaging 8.8 yards per catch.

But for some reason these guys are getting way more targets than our guys who are averaging WAY more yards per catch.

Lockette has 21.3 yards per catch.
Kearse has 15.3 yards per catch.
Baldwin has 11.7 yards per catch.

Statistically it does make sense that shorter catches would be targeted a bit more, but with the way our offense is running it seems that any intelligent coordinator could take one look at this data and know we aren't gonna go deep very often, and if we were they'd know who we are going to with just one glance of the field...

And I feel sorry for Paul Richardson, he was probably so excited to get drafted by the Seahawks and he is targetted on less than 3% of his snaps? Well at least he is getting on the field unlike the guy I thought who'd be even better this year Norwood...

AND FINALLY...

If you include Harvin and Walters Rushing Attempts COMBINED with their Passing Targets to get their total plays / snap you get:

1) Walters = 20.75%
2) Harvin = 20.44%

It seems like Harvin and Walters have IDENTICAL roles in our Offense or this is one heck of a coincidence...

Compared to Lynch:

Lynch = 38.73% (Rushing Attempts)
Lynch = 47.55% (Rushing Attempts + Passing Targets)

Conclusion:

If Lynch is on the field there's about a 50% chance we go to him (that seems a little too low since he's only in on 67% of plays to begin with... and it seems like it should be about 50% for Rushing Attempts not Rushing AND Passing... but otherwise 50% seems like a smart and unpredictable rate to defend against). If Lynch is on the field with either Walters or Harvin than there's on average about a 70% chance that we go to either Lynch or Harvin/Walters.

I'm not sure how often Lynch is on the field at the same time as Harvin or Walters, but it seems like in that configuration the Defense would have a pretty dang easy time knowing what we are going to do. They can stack the box and focus on those 2 players in very short passing plays or for predictable runs.

The X factor is that Russell Wilson is also a crazy good play maker not just a game manager (DUH!) so he is really the key ingredient for getting this kind of predictable offense focused on only two other players to run correctly.

It'd be nice to see Baldwin and Kearse have at least around 10-15% rates, they are so much lower than Walters and Harvin which seems like a flaw in our Offense to me but I'm no expert.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Bumping this thread now that Harvin is gone, I think it kinda got buried in the chaos after the Dallas game. But maybe nobody else finds this data as interesting as I do.

I think this data I listed is going to radically change for the rest of the season. And it's understandable why Baldwin would be mad about this Harvin/Walters love fest from Bevell when he's getting targeted on less than 9% of his snaps.

Hopefully we will not be seeing Baldwin and Kearse targeted on only 7-9% of their snaps now that Harvin is gone. And hopefully no trying to get the ball to Walters (and previously Harvin) on about 20% of theirs.

Lynch's rush rate per snap should also rise above 39% now I would imagine.

I'd like to see our receivers get targeted at more consistent rates compared to what we have done thus far. It'd be nice to see all our receivers around the 10-15% range so the defenders have no idea what we are going to do.