Ugly Can Get Us There And Ugly Can Win It

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
THERE and IT refering to the Superbowl of course.

6 out of the last 9 Superbowls featured 7 teams who won 9-11 games in the regular season.

5 of those 6 Superbowls resulted in the team with the worst W-L record winning it.

2005: 11-5 Steelers* def. 13-3 Seahawks
2007: 10-6 Giants def. 16-0 Patriots
2008:12-4 Steelers def. 9-7 Cardinals, 27-23
2010: 10-6 Packers def. 12-4 Steelers
2011: 9-7 Giants def. 13-3 Patriots
2012: 10-6 Ravens def. 11-4-1 49ers
2013:

So, to beat this discussion to death with cliche driving points:

Its not how you START, its how you FINISH...for recent examples see 2012.

4-4 Seahawks end up 11-5
6-2 Giants miss the Play-Offs entirely

Think of each loss not as a defeat, but the strongest form of learning opportunity for players and coaches alike. And with each loss the team should regain or rely on its hunger and desperation.

Quit resting on the laurels of yester-year, of course the team is different, new players, new schemes, stronger schedules with way more elite QBs, and a transition of leadership that saw a healthy loss of well established vocal veterans go elsewhere.

Maybe the Seahawks are only seemingly a little better than average right now, even though their DVOA says otherwise as they still rank top 5 overall with all 3 phases ranking in the top 10 of all teams.

Maybe the Seahawks are just a game or three of clicking in all the right ways from a coaching gameplan and player execution..stand point. Yet, its entirely possible the Seahawks don't ever click at all but that's something we can only find out one game at a time until there are none left.

The NFL has done its best to knock the Seahawks off its pedestal from bad luck of the draw of the Strength of Schedule this year against what can arguably be 4 of the NFL's best teams in 2014 and undoubtedly 4 of the NFL's best QBs, to the purposely done schedule actuality of not allowing the Seahawks to get on a true week to week schedule until now from weeks 6 to week 12. Sunday to Sunday games. To the rule emphasis of taking the strength of our D down a notch and the unfortunate loss of depth/injuries in our Secondary to take it down another notch.

Through all of that chaos, the Seahawks still stand 3-2 with two losses against 5-1 teams who more or less have played and executed perfect gameplans both Offensively and Defensively and beat the Seahawks at thier own game by punching them in the mouth. Yet, the Seahawks are still in the thick of the fight despite taking a lot of very good team's best punches. And above anything else, they still have the greatest of opportunities to take control of the division in the 2nd half of the season with the schedule being the way it is.

And what history has taught us in the last 7-9 years is the Seahawks might not be as good as last year or even the best team in the NFL this year but they don't have to be to get the Superbowl and to win it...The Seahawks just have to get hot at the right time, come together at the right time, play as a complete team at the right time. And fight and claw and scrap thier way into a post-season berth, and once in its a brand new season, and they are just as dangerous as any of the teams in front of them or behind them, until proven otherwise.

Seahawks just need to be RESILIANT and they are no stranger to adversity:

We saw this in 2010 when a Low-Talent but All Heart 7-9 Seahawks team upset an entire nation by defeating the Defending Champs, 11-5 Saints.

We saw this in 2011 when this team was 2-6 in the first eight games but then went 5-3 and started what became a 47 game streak of not losing by a TD, and a currently ongoing streak of not losing by 10 points in 50 games. They were also 2-3 very close losses away from another post-season berth if they would have beat WSH (-6), SFO (-2), and ARI(-3) .

We saw this in 2012, when a 4-4 Seahawks team would finish their season on an 8-2 run, and was a mere 30 seconds away from the NFC CG despite being down 20-0 vs Atlanta.

We saw this 3 times in 2013 after consecutive series of down weeks:

1. @Hou + @Indy,
2. @StL + vs TB,
3. @SFO + @NYG + vs ARI

Where a lot of the same fans that are expressing some serious doubts in this team now, almost all the same doubts, were doing it then, and yet the end outcome was most of these same players and all of the coaches bringing this city, this miserable, desperate sports city its first big 3 (NFL, MLB, NBA) or 4 (NHL) or 5 (MLS) Sports Championship in a long time (1979). For some it would be the first and only(big-time) Championship they've come t know because #SonicsWho?since2008.

So I say to you, Seahawks Championship Football is still very much alive, until its completely not.

SEA-LIEVE 2014.

(Note: I drafted most of this a few days ago and decided against posting it at first because some of the other positive rallying posts were getting negative replies from fans telling other fans to what to feel or think.)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The problem with winning ugly is that it's a crapshoot. You can get lucky and win almost every ugly game, or you can be unlucky and lose almost every ugly game. Last year was the former, this year thus far it's the latter. That can mean the difference between #1 seed and missing the playoffs altogether.

I don't like ugly, and when I see people say they build character or that they're good for a team, it annoys me. (Speaking in general terms, there.)

Largent80

Reaction score
Right now we need wins and I'll take them any way we get them.

Earl said that there have been character problems on defense, that is worrisome.

dunceface

Reaction score
Amen! Not worried right now....a little nervous because of our injuries but overall I'm optimistic
<------ just like this young Marshawn Lynch

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
I know this.

There won't be a team in the NFC that will be happy, or feel comfortable, with having to play the Hawks in the playoffs. On the road or not.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Largent80":1s2smfcz said:

Earl said that there have been character problems on defense, that is worrisome.

Well, yeah that's the point of playing. I'm just saying we don't have to be the most dominant team in the NFL from start to finish to get to and win the Superbowl.

You just need to secure a seed and finish strong and you have good as of chance as anybody in the Post-Season.

Seahawks still have an entire season to curb their egos, iron out all their wrinkles, and band together. And after the initial struggles of 2011, 2012, and 2013 (more like mid-season-ish), I have the utmost faith the Seahawks will able to turn it around and get on the same page.

1 loss isn't going to derail an entire season, until it does, but right now its one game at a time, and its possible five weeks from now Seahawks might be 7-3 or 8-2 and in control their own destiny in the NFC West with 5 of the last 6 being against Divisional rivals.

Understandably, they could also be worse like 5-5 or 6-4, and if they are like I said, they will just have to step-up, claw and scrap thier way into a post-season berth, if accomplished, its a new season and anything is possible.

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":bog9qfvm said:

Character as in the defense personality, or character as in a person or persons on the defensive side of the ball.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":qfl1x4te said:

Earl is not above reproach either, this is the guy who said he got his championship spirit back after the SD loss, which tells us that he lost it earlier this year.

We all believed the players when they said that everyone getting paid and winning the SB wasn't going to change anything, but I think we're finding out that might not be the case.........now it's up to the team to prove it.