Who's the real OC?

pehawk

Reaction score
Is it Cable or is it Bevell?

I know based on title it's Bevell, who's OC and in charge of the passing game, and Cable's in charge of the run game. But, is it really that simple?

Is it Cable and Bevell that make the decisions to not give CMike and PRich reps? It would seem to me each of those players is being kept out due to nuances in the running game and NOT the passing game. CMike is supposedly having issues running withing Cable's ZBS guidelines and PRich isn't seeing the field because he's NOT a serviceable blocker yet (I'm assuming there).

So, Bevell calls the plays and Cable dictates the personnel? Maybe that's contributing to the "random" substitutions?I've noticed in key moments Cable's the one with Pete in his ear, not the Seahawk's oldest Badger.

(The above is purely keyboard diarrhea...rambling musings)

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I have no way of proving this, but I still contend Bevell was a slight panic pick (off of the McDaniels flirtation) and had they known Cable would come available, he would've been the OC.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think all the weight Cable has lost has made him call all those bubble screens and jet sweeps. He is feeling fit and trim for the first time in years, seeing his mule without a mirror, and the spry feelings are going to his head.

Fire Cable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The real OC is a mixture of Bevell, Cable, Pete and Russell..........with input from the other assistant coaches.

We can argue about the mixture, but it's the sum of all these parts.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1re59zbz said:
The real OC is a mixture of Bevell, Cable, Pete and Russell..........with input from the other assistant coaches.

Agreed. I just wonder if it adds to the confusion and lack of identity? It's an interesting method, for sure.

Basis4day

Reaction score
IIRC, according to Pete, the overall offense and the playbook is primary Cable, while playcalling duties in game go to Bevell.
Pete has veto power over the plays if there is something he inherently doesn't like but he generally trusts the OC.

As far as Richardson and Michael. You can't get reps in game if you're not active on the 46 man roster. Neither of them play special teams which makes them expendable on game day. They needed the roster spot for active depth at other positions for players like Kam and Okung who were nicked up. Walters needs to be active because they need him to return punts. That puts him ahead of other WR on the depth chart regardless of skill a the WR position proper.

Whenever you have questions about why a particular player doesn't get active for the game, consider the 46 man roster, injuries, and special teams contributions. There are only so many spots on gameday.

Who do you take off the field?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I don't know if it's Cable with P-Rich or just the whole rookie WR thing in terms of learning curve, blocking, etc.. I do know he was drafted to take the top off defenses and I sure wish he was doing so (as does Percy). As for Michael I think it's as much ball security and Pete as it would be Cable.

If your ponderings are correct that Bevell is calling plays but Cable is dictating personnel, that's a real split that while I don't believe Pete would allow, I can't say your musings are totally without merit either.

XOXO
Bernie Casey

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":314tz8jx said:
IIRC, according to Pete, the overall offense and the playbook is primary Cable, while playcalling duties in game go to Bevell.
Pete has veto power over the plays if there is something he inherently doesn't like but he generally trusts the OC.

As far as Richardson and Michael. You can't get reps in game if you're not active on the 46 man roster. Neither of them play special teams which makes them expendable on game day. They needed the roster spot for active depth at other positions for players like Kam and Okung who were nicked up. Walters needs to be active because they need him to return punts. That puts him ahead of other WR on the depth chart regardless of skill a the WR position proper.

Whenever you have questions about why a particular player doesn't get active for the game, consider the 46 man roster, injuries, and special teams contributions. There are only so many spots on gameday.

Yeah, I understand that. And generally speaking, you're spot on.

However, I find it odd that a coach who covets speed is having to deactivate two of his fastest players on gameday. CMike and Prich being inactive flies in the face of one of Pete's core principles. That's just odd.

Basis4day

Reaction score
You can't look at Richardson in a vacuum. You need to consider who else is playing WR and who needs to be active on game day. I know i sound like a broken record, but always consider the 46 man active roster.

Ideally this team wants to throw the ball 25 to 30 times a game max. Every pass is one less ball that can go to Harvin, Baldwin or Kearse. Harvin needs no explanation and Baldwin/Kearse earned their opportunities.
In the two games we lost we had what, 40 offensive player total? And we're supposed to be a run first team. There are only so many throws to go around.

Lockette and Walters need to be active for special teams purposes regardless of how you think they stack up strictly as a WR compared to Richardson and Norwood. As a result, Norwood hasn't been active and Richardson is going to be on the fringe depending on who else needs to be active. Okung and Kam being nicked up forced Richardson out as they needed to go heavy at those positions in case of further injury.

Basis4day

Reaction score
pehawk":3k7oa3ox said:
Basis4day":3k7oa3ox said:

Yeah, I understand that. And generally speaking, you're spot on.

However, I find it odd that a coach who covets speed is having to deactivate two of his fastest players on gameday. CMike and Prich being inactive flies in the face of one of Pete's core principles. That's just odd.

I don't really see how it's odd. Who are you benching to make room for Richardson and Michael when neither of them play special teams and you're hampered by injuries at other positions and can only have 46 players active?

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
pehawk":12inso7u said:
Is it Cable or is it Bevell?

I know based on title it's Bevell, who's OC and in charge of the passing game, and Cable's in charge of the run game. But, is it really that simple?

Is it Cable and Bevell that make the decisions to not give CMike and PRich reps? It would seem to me each of those players is being kept out due to nuances in the running game and NOT the passing game. CMike is supposedly having issues running withing Cable's ZBS guidelines and PRich isn't seeing the field because he's NOT a serviceable blocker yet (I'm assuming there).

So, Bevell calls the plays and Cable dictates the personnel? Maybe that's contributing to the "random" substitutions?I've noticed in key moments Cable's the one with Pete in his ear, not the Seahawk's oldest Badger.

(The above is purely keyboard diarrhea...rambling musings)

I thought it was the guy wearing the #3 blouse, but I've been wrong.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2zl70quh said:
You can't look at Richardson in a vacuum. You need to consider who else is playing WR and who needs to be active on game day. I know i sound like a broken record, but always consider the 46 man active roster.

Ideally this team wants to throw the ball 25 to 30 times a game max. Every pass is one less ball that can go to Harvin, Baldwin or Kearse. Harvin needs no explanation and Baldwin/Kearse earned their opportunities.

Lockette and Walters need to be active for special teams purposes regardless of how you think they stack up strictly as a WR compared to Richardson and Norwood. As a result, Norwood hasn't been active and Richardson is going to be on the fringe depending on who else needs to be active. Okung and Kam being nicked up forced Richardson out as they needed to go heavy at those positions in case of further injury.

Bbbbuuuttt, I don't want logical explanations. I want hyperbole and rhetoric.

That said, within your reasoning there's still room to question the overall roster management, IMO. If things are cut so close Pete is forced to forsake one of his key values, speed, something's a little wonky. Especially with how teams are scheming Seattle's offense.

Is that mismanagement related to; drafting, paralysis by over-analysis (two OC's), player development, scheme, petting zoos...I dont know.

Basis4day

Reaction score
pehawk":1j4pkfb8 said:
Basis4day":1j4pkfb8 said:

Bbbbuuuttt, I don't want logical explanations. I want hyperbole and rhetoric.

That said, within your reasoning there's still room to question the overall roster management, IMO. If things are cut so close Pete is forced to forsake one of his key values, speed, something's a little wonky. Especially with how teams are scheming Seattle's offense.

Is that mismanagement related to; drafting, paralysis by over-analysis (two OC's), player development, scheme, petting zoos...I dont know.

Speed is but one of the many, many things that Pete values. If anything, i'd say his corp value is ball control over speed.
Don't turn the ball over through fumbling or interceptions, use the running game to grind out the clock, an emphasis on special teams to give the opponent long fields and the offense short fields.

Pete loves rangy athletic players, but he covets the ball more.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Gameday personnel is on Pete. There's a 46-man active roster that affects all levels of the team: defense, offense, special teams. If Richardson or Michael are inactive on game-day, then that really has very little to do with the playcaller or the O-line coach besides their input on who's ready to contribute and who isn't.

The "random substitutions" comment was a quote taken out of context. Pete literally meant that there were a number of factors that contribute to a guy sitting out one play versus another (e.g. what he had to do the play before). They are making those decisions fluidly. It doesn't follow some rigid formula or design. That's common sense. Not sure why it's being harped on.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If it were within league rules and I'm Paul Allen, I'm taking my jet to Boston and offering McDaniels a dump truck of cash to come be our OC as long as I can get Papa Pete on board with it.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":2cnxltqe said:

Another one of Pete's core principles is valuing special teams and treating it like 1/3 of the game. CMike and Prich are giving you little to nothing there. Walters and Lockette are giving you something meaningful.

He also holds turnover margin above everything else. Turbin has yet to fumble a ball as a runner in his entire career. CMike has been rumored to have ball security issues and put two balls on the ground during preseason.

Who else could we possibly bench?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
McDaniels is trash. Brady has been nosediving since he came back and New England's offense is #19 in DVOA. Nothing he does in New England suggests to me that he can solve the riddle of a QB who can't throw short middle or that he knows how to use a mobile QB in general.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":2nwllu2w said:
Sgt. Largent":2nwllu2w said:

Agreed. I just wonder if it adds to the confusion and lack of identity? It's an interesting method, for sure.

It's not unique, this is how most NFL teams develop their offense (and defense).

There are head coaches and coordinators that rule with an iron first (Belichick, Holmgren, Harbaugh, Coughlin, etc).........more of a "this is how we're doing it, the only way, my way."

But IMO Pete isn't like that, he's very much an inclusive coach that puts his ego aside and likes to get input from everybody involved before gameplanning, and that's healthy.

Which is why I'm not a Bevell hater, cause it's not all on him.