Where are all these unrealistic expectations coming from?

RunTheBall

Reaction score
We are 3-2 with the 2 losses coming to 5-1 teams. We have played one of the toughest if not the toughest schedule so far. I see lots of people panicking and saying we won't make the playoffs and all this other nonsense. Last year's team had the @STL, @HOU, and TB games which all could have gone either way and were against bad teams. If you are expecting us to go 13-3 or better and get the #1 seed in the NFC from every year here on out you are going to be very disappointed.

I think just making the playoffs is a good enough goal, why do we need homefield to win the Super Bowl? This isn't the Holmgren Era, we can easily win on the road in the playoffs... It's like some people on this forum would prefer everything in the regular season to be all rosey rather than go through tough times now but win in the playoffs. Many people on this forum want to be the 2011 Packers when all that we really need is to be the 2011 Giants.

Tokadub

Reaction score
RunTheBall":24w4wqyh said:
We are 3-2 with the 2 losses coming to 5-1 teams. We have played one of the toughest if not the toughest schedule so far. I see lots of people panicking and saying we won't make the playoffs and all this other nonsense. Last year's team had the @STL, @HOU, and TB games which all could have gone either way and were against bad teams. If you are expecting us to go 13-3 or better and get the #1 seed in the NFC from every year here on out you are going to be very disappointed.

I think just making the playoffs is a good enough goal, why do we need homefield to win the Super Bowl? This isn't the Holmgren Era, we can easily win on the road in the playoffs... It's like some people on this forum would prefer everything in the regular season to be all rosey rather than go through tough times now but win in the playoffs. Many people on this forum want to be the 2011 Packers when all that we really need is to be the 2011 Giants.

Because many experts would of told you that we had one of the most talented rosters in NFL history last season. At least our defense was up there with the greatest of all time.

We luckily came home with the Superbowl but in my opinion we played worst than we should of last year, mainly due to the offensive line and piss poor play calling.

Now that our defense is gone and our Offense still hasn't come anywhere close to it's potential... in fact it seems to have taken a step back... well ya it's time to panic if you knew our potential last year and how far we are from that this year.

I'm drunk and multi-tasking so this isn't coming out cleanly...

But what I'm trying to say is that last year we should of whooped every single team we played. If anything we underachieved last season as crazy as it sounds... but if you think about it we had BY FAR HANDS DOWN NO COMPARISON THE BEST ROSTER TOP TO BOTTOM...

Yet we almost lost many games, and came about as close as you could to lose to SF in the playoffs...

So home-field advantage is of paramount importance. I'm fairly sure we would of lost badly last year to SF without home field. Bevell can't call games for crap in that place...

And now that our team is just AMONG the best rosters instead of clearly the best, things are looking pretty grim if our coaches don't fix our horrible zone defense and learn how to move the ball, and run it...

Our team has been straight up crap this season, that's the truth. Last year we were WAY better than everyone else... this year we are about equal to the best guys with our roster but our coaches are sucking booty...

I am very concerned and prepared for the worst. Our offense won't get it together with that O-Line it's impossible unless RW is the greatest QB of all time.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Football is a game of luck as much as it skill.

Sometimes the ball bounces your way, sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes what happened the year before, has no guarantees in the present.

Sometimes schedules have great opponents, against some of the league's toughest QBs.

Sometimes being dominant means you are only marginally better than the other team.

Sometimes the greatest of expectations need to be realistically tempered.

Sometimes the harshest of criticisms need to be realistically tempered.

Sometimes ugly can get you there and ugly can win.

Its football down to its dirty core... not a beauty paegent.

So, who said it ever had to be pretty to show a little faith?

Because it won't be.

Seahawks are King of the Hill and every game will be a throwdown against the other team's best shot.

Seahawks are 3-2 and in the 2 losses it took some extraordinary plays with extraordinary effort by some of the league's best players. Phillip Rivers and DeMarco Murray are probably their conferences respective OPOY right now. Antonio Gates and Tony Romo + the Offensive game plan were extraordinary executed to mostly perfection as well.

Not worried at all, 3-2 is fine for what we've been through and who we've played.

What Tokadub perceives a crap effort and worst in show Seahawks team in 2014 still nets the. #3 Overall in DVOA and the only team to rank in the top 10 in all three phases.... so logically a lot of others teams have much easier schedules, better luck in turning big plays/turnovers, and the so called drop-offs in performance is probably being experienced league wide in whole.

Just look at Scoring Against stats only 3 teams in the NFL have allowed under 20 points.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Tokadub":1vvytwo1 said:
RunTheBall":1vvytwo1 said:

Because many experts would of told you that we had one of the most talented rosters in NFL history last season. At least our defense was up there with the greatest of all time.

We luckily came home with the Superbowl but in my opinion we played worst than we should of last year, mainly due to the offensive line and piss poor play calling.

Now that our defense is gone and our Offense still hasn't come anywhere close to it's potential... in fact it seems to have taken a step back... well ya it's time to panic if you knew our potential last year and how far we are from that this year.

I'm drunk and multi-tasking so this isn't coming out cleanly...

But what I'm trying to say is that last year we should of whooped every single team we played. If anything we underachieved last season as crazy as it sounds... but if you think about it we had BY FAR HANDS DOWN NO COMPARISON THE BEST ROSTER TOP TO BOTTOM...

Yet we almost lost many games, and came about as close as you could to lose to SF in the playoffs...

So home-field advantage is of paramount importance. I'm fairly sure would of lost badly last year to SF without home field. Bevell can't call games for crap in that place...

And now that our team is just AMONG the best rosters instead of clearly the best, things are looking pretty grim if our coaches don't fix our horrible zone defense and learn how to move the ball, and run it...

Our team has been straight up crap this season, that's the truth. Last year we were WAY better than everyone else... this year we are about equal to the best guys with our roster but our coaches are sucking booty...

I am very concerned and prepared for the worst. Our offense won't get it together with that O-Line it's impossible unless RW is the greatest QB of all time.
Did you even watch last year? We were crap in Carolina and Houston, and blew a huge lead at Indy early on. We fell behind a win less TB team at home 21-0 before pulling it together and after we had finally pulled things together and were rolling to the playoffs we lost to the Cardinals at home in a game that i believe we intercepted 4 passes in. People really have short memories of how things really were.

Tokadub

Reaction score
DUH... did you even read my post???

That's the whole focus of my post is that we really underachieved last year considering how we had one of the best NFL rosters of all time.

We squeaked by with a Super Bowl win despite having home field advantage and a MUCH better team than anyone else.

We shouldn't have come anywhere close to losing all those games last season with how good our roster was... but we had at least somewhat of an excuse because we were missing so many offensive line starters.

Now we have all our offensive line starters and we somehow forgot to give Lynch the ball in two critical losses, and our Defense isn't even in the same ballpark as they were last year. Our defense this year is like Denver's last year for real we suck.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Wow that's crazy how good I am in my drunken rants without ever looking up this comparison before...

But ya our defense this year is pretty much equal to Denver's defense last year... :shock:

2013 Broncos Defense:

- 356 yards per game
- 24.9 points per game

2014 Seahawks Defense:

- 334 yards per game
- 22.6 points per game

So this year we are giving up only 22 more yards and 2.3 more points a game than Denver's terrible defense did last year. Of course Denver's offense is far superior so there lies the problem.

In case anyone forgot about our defense last season:

2013 Seahawks Defense:

- 274 yards per game
- 14.4 points per game

So compared to last year we are giving up 60 yards more per game BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY 8.2 MORE POINTS!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tokadub":3msjjfwa said:
DUH... did you even read my post???

That's the whole focus of my post is that we really underachieved last year considering how we had one of the best NFL rosters of all time.

We squeaked by with a Super Bowl win despite having home field advantage and a MUCH better team than anyone else.

We shouldn't have come anywhere close to losing all those games last season with how good our roster was... but we had at least somewhat of an excuse because we were missing so many offensive line starters.

Now we have all our offensive line starters and we somehow forgot to give Lynch the ball in two critical losses, and our Defense isn't even in the same ballpark as they were last year. Our defense this year is like Denver's last year for real we suck.

Yawn, we are who we are those Sunday we play the game.

No team is perfect and guess what you don't have to be to win a Superbowl said 5 of the last 7 Superbowl Champions.

Tokadub

Reaction score
We'll be lucky to even get back to the Superbowl at this rate. I'm not saying we can't do it, but I don't think it's an unrealistic expectation for us to make it back there.

So far the team has been far below my expectations, and I don't think I'm being unrealistic.

I'm not concerned that we lost 2 games against 5-1 teams...

I'm concerned about how we have been playing ALL SEASON LONG... and the specifics of how badly dominated we were in our 2 losses.

This isn't a Chicken Little "The Sky Is Falling!" thing for me...

I have studied all the aspects of our games and there are many concerning areas of our team and A LOT OF STUFF WE ARE DOING THAT MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER STRATEGICALLY...

Tokadub

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the majority of the team would agree they played like crap in their losses...

Stop making excuses Pandion, we have played bad and our coaches and players pretty much admitted it.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tokadub":3ffuw60d said:
Wow that's crazy how good I am in my drunken rants without ever looking up this comparison before...

But ya our defense this year is pretty much equal to Denver's defense last year... :shock:

2013 Broncos Defense:

- 356 yards per game
- 24.9 points per game

2014 Seahawks Defense:

- 334 yards per game
- 22.6 points per game

So this year we are giving up only 22 more yards and 2.3 more points a game than Denver's terrible defense did last year. Of course Denver's offense is far superior so there lies the problem.

In case anyone forgot about our defense last season:

2013 Seahawks Defense:

- 274 yards per game
- 14.4 points per game

So compared to last year we are giving up 60 yards more per game BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY 8.2 MORE POINTS!

1. You're projecting the Seahawks stats after 5 games and comparing it to the Bronco's 2013 average. No fault in that. Its not like there are 11 games to play.

2. Something I learned last year: Stats are irrelevant compared to actual match-ups. Seahawks were match-up arguably against four top 6 QBs and four good to elite QBs.

With an ailing secondary and a rule emphasis that has took the D down a notch obviously something was going to give and be exploitable at some point or another.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Ok but nothing you said there proves that anything I said was wrong. Just stop making excuses I'm not gonna view the world through rose colored glasses this is all factual, statistical, and logical for me.

With all of our mounting injuries if anything our defense is gonna start performing even worst than they already have. I guess you missed the news from Thursdays practice:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seaha...-add-marsh-to-the-list-and-harvin-sits-again/

"A couple things of note on Seattle’s injury report from Thursday’s practice.

First, add Cassius Marsh to the list as sat out with a foot injury on a day when the Seahawks had nine players sit out — a season high. Marsh was not on the injury report Wednesday, so possibly something that happened in practice.

Also, TE Luke Willson did not practice with a groin and DT Brandon Mebane also sat out, listed as non-injury related, which is generally assumed to be a rest day.

With Willson sidelined and Zach Miller already ruled out, Seattle could also suddenly be shy on tight ends for Sunday’s game at St. Louis. Third-teamer Cooper Helfet was the only tight end to practice on Thursday.

WR Percy Harvin also sat out for the second straight day. But intriguingly (ominously?) Harvin today was listed as out with a thigh injury while on Wednesday he had been listed as non-injury related. Harvin also missed last Thursday’s practice with a thigh injury but then played Sunday against the Cowboys.

Others not practicing today were CB Byron Maxwell (calf), C Max Unger (foot) and DT Jordan Hill (ankle), as well as two players already listed as out for the game — Miller and LB Bobby Wagner (Pete Carroll also said Unger is out this week but he does not have that designation on the injury report).

Listed as fully participating were Tharold Simon, Marshawn Lynch and Alvin Bailey.

With Maxwell out, Simon could possibly get the start at cornerback Sunday in what would be his first NFL game.

If both Marsh and Hill are out then the team could need a few snaps out of Greg Scruggs, who was re-signed this week to the 53-man roster, and would have a shorter rotation up front.

Also, the injuries piling up could make the decisions on who is active on gameday a little easier — if not quite in the ideal manner to get to that point. That could mean guys like Christine Michael, Paul Richardson and Kevin Norwood would be active."

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tokadub":2ayqqnkj said:
I'm pretty sure the majority of the team would agree they played like crap in their losses...

Stop making excuses Pandion, we have played bad and our coaches and players pretty much admitted it.

We've played reasonable sloppy which is to be expected with a team that had a lot off-season losses and leadership.

From a team coming off a shortened off-season.

A young team... 7th youngest in the NFL...at that.

A team working its way through a pile of injuries.

A team that has played the hardest SOS in the NFL.

A team that really hasn't been allowed to get on a week to week schedule thus far.

Gm 1
10 days off
Gm 2 in 120 degree heat
6 days off
Gm 3
14 days off
Gm 4
5 days off
Gm 5

So, yeah maybe the Seahawks aren't playing their best, maybe they look totally inept at times but quit acting like its been the easiest of roads for them this year.

You can doubt all you want, that's you, my glass is half full, always, sure I have concerns but I will always try to remain optimistic until the end.

Each week is just another opportunity to get things ironed out, and get better. Seahawks are in every game, Seahawks are a post-season team... until they're not... 11 games left.

Stay on the edge of your seat and keep the beer close, hater.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Haha, all you did there was make more excuses while admitting that I am right in my concerns. I never said things were gonna be easy this year, I'm just stating the truth of how things have gone so far.

Some people really need to learn to deal with reality without getting so defensive and making excuses like pulling them out of a hat all night.

Funny how someone with critical thinking skills and logic becomes a "hater", even though everything I said was true.

Geeze no wonder America has gone down the drain nobody can use their brain correctly without society as a whole freaking out about it... :roll:

Tokadub

Reaction score
It's no wonder you don't participate in the prediction threads Pandion, you're always so wrong about everything you say here too be honest.

And I never said we ARE GOING TO FAIL... I just said I'm prepared for that possibility.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I just don't think it's debatable... we are playing horribly right now. And I don't think it's an unrealistic expectation that we would be playing better than... well better than horrible...

This zone defense is almost as bad as our offense too be honest, maybe worst...

Look at Dallas's first touchdown and tell me this is legit coaching and a great defensive scheme... :?

Zone_Defense_Sucks_1.png

Zone_Defense_Sucks_1b.png

In the first image you can see KJ Wright lined up perfectly to stop their TE Escobar. In the second image you can see KJ Wright just let him run right past him! The image makes it look closer than it really was, if you watch the video KJ just stands there like he's waiting for a fly ball... as if there was ANYONE ELSE THAT HE COULD POSSIBLY GUARD ON THIS PLAY (there wasn't!)? KJ takes like 2 steps back as he gets effortlessly burned and by the time he turns around it's an easy Touchdown as you can see in the image...

What the heck kind of defense is that??? :pukeface:

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Tokadub":3edjln1f said:
Do you think about the nonsense you spew?

Tokadub

Reaction score
Going from #1 to #19th in opposing passing yards.

Losing 2 games where the team has the ball for about 20 minutes more than us...

We aren't running Beast Mode at all in our losses.

Do you realize how nonsensical you are being to argue the obvious points I am making?

Some of you guys are just as bad as the Denver and 49ers homers that think they are invincible.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RunTheBall":25y8ikys said:

It is unrealistic to expect us to repeat as SB champions, not in today's age of free agency and salary caps. If I am not mistaken, it's only happened once in the past 20 years or so (Patriots, I believe).

With the exception of the opener, we have played like crap. This team does not look even remotely like the teams we've been used to over the past 1.5 years, particularly on defense. Almost zero pass rush pressure. Teams that drive 80+ yards on us on multiple occasions. Two interceptions in the first 5 games. That's not Seahawk football.

I agree that we might be placing too high of a premium on HFA. It's huge and almost a guarantee that we'll advance, but it's not the end of the world if we don't get it. This team has put together some pretty good efforts on the road.

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
The Hawks have played the toughest schedule to date. I don't think that can be questioned.

2 losses to teams that are a combined 10-2.

Let's not forget also that the Seahawks handed another team a loss that's pretty damn good as well in the Broncos who is 4-1.

That's 14-3 between 3 of their 5 opponents. Crap on a cracker that is tough as hell to deal with. Getting through that kind of stretch at 3-2 is simply nothing to sneeze at.

The Hawks are going to be fine. They'll reel off a handful of wins in a row here and people will be forgetting all about this loss Sunday.