Match Ups you like and dislike

pehawk

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm interrupting an argument about Bevell, truly. Why don't we agree one side will never blame Bevell and another always will blame Bevell?

Match Ups I like;

I like the Seahawks run game vs the Rams. I don't care what anyone says about the 2012 and 2013 games vs the Rams, when the Seahawks have been relatively healthy across their OL, they've been able to run on that front 7.

I also like Percy/Wilson vs Gregg Williams. I've always been a huge fan of Williams (on the field) as a DC. But this year he's kind of ishting the bed, mostly due to his blitzing. His blitzing hasn't made sense, at all, and the Rams have been torched because of it. There will be ample opportunities for explosives.

I like the wounded LOB vs Austin Davis. Nothing against Austin, I like the cut of his jib (that's for you BFS), but the Hawks defense and secondary forces QB's to be brilliant moving within the pocket and throw really, really long outs. I doubt Davis's arm strength to get the throws there.

Match Ups I don't like;

I don't like Bevell/Cable matching up against a blitzing defense. In three years I'm yet to see a game with consistent in-game, blitz adjustments that make sense. So, as much as Williams is a liability for the Rams, it takes in-game adjustments to drive that home.

I don't like Tre Mason vs the Hawks front 7. He's the type of back to give the Seahawks trouble.

And, I don't like anyone with a moustache. So, I don't like my chances keeping that rage in check when the camera pans to Fisher.

XOXO

Flipper Anderson

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Agreed on the Davis arm strength thing, our secondary has feasted on the lesser arms.
I want to see Harvin on Jenkins in space. Jenkins is a grabber.

I'm worried about the blitzing. Not because the Rams have been bad at it, but we have been pretty bad at blitz beaters.

I don't like Wilson doing his improv act vs Laurinitis and Ogletree. I thought even in the home win last year, STL did a great job of making sure Wilson took big hits from spying linebackers. STL has an autoblitz thing they do with the OLBs where as soon as Wilson starts a bootleg, ball or no, the LB on his side tries to meet the bootleg. Not having Miller to help Britt is big too.

I thought STL tried to take Tate out of the game last year. I won't be surprised if Percy sees a little extra too.

I don't want to see Coleman on the field.

I really like Baldwin in this game. I like Wilson being able to manipulate STL safeties too.

Stache can suck it. He is a dirty ass coach who cradles Goodell's junk on the rules committee, and watching him get karmic smackdowns has been a treat. I hope his stache is in the shape of a frown all year.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Looks like we're seeing a lot of the same things. I didn't know about the autoblitz thing, good stuff.

Apologies to my fellow members for diluting the main forum with actual football posts.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
pehawk":27zhn6eb said:
I like the Seahawks run game vs the Rams. I don't care what anyone says about the 2012 and 2013 games vs the Rams, when the Seahawks have been relatively healthy across their OL, they've been able to run on that front 7.

Flipper Anderson

I generally agree with you except for this. Injuries to Okung, Unger, and Miller make me a lot less confident in our running production this week. In the first 4 games our line looked strong on the run. Against the Cowboys, I think that O-line concerns were a key reason that Lynch had so few touches in the first half, and produced so little when he finally did get touches. With big weaknesses on the edges (No Miller to help out Britt and an Okung that is really off with his injury) and an inexperienced middle with Unger out, well I am concerned.

Still, with another week for this line to get in synch I do expect better run blocking as a unit and a more productive week for Lynch. It just won't be nearly as good as it would be with one or two of our first stringers back in there.

- bsd

Largent80

Reaction score
Baldwin said the practices so far this week have been back to basics, so I'm expecting us to block better especially with Schilling getting a game under his belt.

I hate us vs. the blitz, we just can't seem to make a team pay for it like Dallas did to us last week. That is a key that we need to take care of because we know it is coming.

XOXO

Wendell Tyler

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":36klm5rz said:
Looks like we're seeing a lot of the same things. I didn't know about the autoblitz thing, good stuff.

Apologies to my fellow members for diluting the main forum with actual football posts.

It sounds like is should be a risky thing by them. I would like to see Seattle develop a cutback lane for Lynch on those plays, the OLB can't do contain on the backside AND chase Wilson.

Still, I get a bit concerned every time I see Wilson play acting vs the Rams. They are looking for it.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1gk8nnhx said:
With Miller out I wouldn't mind seeing Gilliam in on running plays, or even Bailey.

Or both. Id love that. Bevell would probably still find a way to do it from an empty set though, Gilliam and Bailey split wide. That'd look creative on the resume.

Largent80

Reaction score
pehawk":obd5709q said:
Largent80":obd5709q said:
With Miller out I wouldn't mind seeing Gilliam in on running plays, or even Bailey.

Or both. Id love that. Bevell would probably still find a way to do it from an empty set though, Gilliam and Bailey split wide. That'd look creative on the resume.

Well, sans empty set, with those two in there = Advantage Seahawks.

XOXO

Elroy Hirsch

Wagon12

Reaction score
Largent80":3jglyie9 said:
Baldwin said the practices so far this week have been back to basics, so I'm expecting us to block better especially with Schilling getting a game under his belt.

I hate us vs. the blitz, we just can't seem to make a team pay for it like Dallas did to us last week. That is a key that we need to take care of because we know it is coming.

XOXO

Wendell Tyler

Did you watch the Monday night game? They blitzed all night in that game and Kaepernick had like a 100+ passer rating. I think we'll be fine...

Largent80

Reaction score
Yeah, and Kap made an incredible throw running to his left for a TD. I don't think RW makes that throw.

And we have not picked up blitzes well for more than this year.

Wagon12

Reaction score
Largent80":2o9g75ij said:
Yeah, and Kap made an incredible throw running to his left for a TD. I don't think RW makes that throw.

You don't think Russ COULD make the throw or WOULD make the throw? Hard to decipher what your meaning is here, sorry...

Make Percy the hot route on every play, and I'm fairly certain the Rams would pay dearly for blitzing... just a thought though.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Wagon12":1hmnoxcc said:
Largent80":1hmnoxcc said:

You don't think Russ COULD make the throw or WOULD make the throw? Hard to decipher what your meaning is here, sorry...

Make Percy the hot route on every play, and I'm fairly certain the Rams would pay dearly for blitzing... just a thought though.

We don't run hot routes. Sometimes I think the mantra of "we don't adjust our gameplan" is taken too literal on offense.

There's an amazing disconnect between what the offense is doing and common sense, at times.

Largent80

Reaction score
Here is the thing. We have Lockette who also has speed. We don't need just Percy to be the deep/middle guy.

With the dumbassed NFL rule for rosters we can't even get Richardson on the field, or Norwood for that matter.

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't think there is much to dislike this week, except that Fisher always makes it muddy for us. Mason doesn't scare me at all, we're going to squash that guy. Quinn absolutely mortifies me. But we're going to control the game and win something pretty low scoring. Not worried at all.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Don't like: Tre Mason & Zac Stacy vs. our D Line & LB's..

I think the Rams will tread lightly on trying to pass, and will pull a page out of Seattle's 2013 play book and run run run.

Didn't they run for 200 or damn near that against us last year?

Like: Baldwin against anyone this week. Dude is coming out to PLAY.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1fexzems said:
I don't think there is much to dislike this week, except that Fisher always makes it muddy for us. Mason doesn't scare me at all, we're going to squash that guy. Quinn absolutely mortifies me. But we're going to control the game and win something pretty low scoring. Not worried at all.

We need our resident Rams fan, MaroonAgatha (sp?), to confirm, but, I've heard rumbling's Quinn's now all content and happy after getting paid. He's just kicking his feet up, chilling.

I hope you're right on Mason.

Largent80

Reaction score
Red Alice is our resident Ram fan here now since Avenger went troll and got banned.

I was listening to KIRO online this morning and they had a beat writer on there that said the same thing Flipper.

That Quinn has been a no show. I think Long means more to that line than anyone thinks.

With all the uproar over play calling this week, the matchup I am looking forward to is Bevell vs. Bevell, who wins?...Jeckyl or Hyde?

XOXO

Merlin Olson

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1etx3v0b said:
Don't like: Tre Mason & Zac Stacy vs. our D Line & LB's..

I think the Rams will tread lightly on trying to pass, and will pull a page out of Seattle's 2013 play book and run run run.

Didn't they run for 200 or damn near that against us last year?..............
Stacey did vs. us in the first game, but IIRC we shut their run game down at the C-Link last game of the regular season. We need to do so this week.

XOXO
Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds

kearly

Reaction score
You just know this will be the game where the Rams break out with 7 sacks and go about their business like the first five games of the season never happened. (And if they don't, then wow they have issues).

The win is in the bag here if Seattle can accomplish two simple tasks.

The first is to Ram Lynch down their throats. Even Robert Turbin might be good in this game if he gets a nice hole to run through, his speed does well on turf. It will be hard to beat up Wilson if Seattle is running 3/5 of the plays and getting 5 yards per carry. Every time that Seattle has won comfortably over the Rams it has always always always involved running the ball well.

That alone might be enough to win, but the other thing they should do is to punish Austin Davis for his height disadvantage the way the 49ers did. Collapse the middle with bullrush, no need to get cute, just muscle the middle of the pocket into Davis' face. It would probably also be a good idea to spy Davis on 3rd downs as he is willing to run 12 yards when it's given to him.

Do these two things, and it will limit Fisher's ability to outscheme Seattle.

As far as matchups, I'd be leery of Quick on Burley, but hopefully Pete will be smart enough to keep that matchup from being too frequent.