I remember a time when

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I was excited to get a broken down Franco Harris. I was elated to get Norman Hand. I jumped for joy when we signed Nate Odoms. I was thrilled to get Percy Harvin. None of those free agents had much impact and were extremely disappointing.

For all of the crappy free agents we have got in the past, we also hit on Julian Peterson, Chad Brown, Bobby Engram, and Ricky Watters.

I suffered through an unhappy Galloway, a lack of franchise tag for a Hall of fame guard in Hutchinson, and a plethora of QB's that were absolutely horrible.

The first Seahawk game I went to was the Monday Night Game when Bo Jackson ran for a million miles and ran over Bosworth. I saw the last game in the Kingdome when Kitna fumbled at the end of game and Warren Sapp crawled around on the turf showing every seahawk fan in the building that he had the ball. A lot of us watched the Superbowl in 2005 and saw one of the most one-sided officiating in the history of the NFL.

Seahawk fans, we have had our ups and downs. For the new fans on the block, we are not going to win 10 superbowls in a row. We are going to have good seasons and bad seasons. We are going to have good drafts and bad. We are going to hit on some free-agents and whiff on others.

I am extremely happy to be relevant. I am happy people love us and hate us. I like being able to go into a sports store and find a variety of Seahawks gear. It didn't used to be this way. Does anyone remember getting Christmas Catalogs only to find that you didn't even have the option to buy anything Seahawks related in the NFL section?

We just won a superbowl and we have hit our first rough patch. But the future is brighter than the past has ever been for this franchise. Enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
bevellisthedevil

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I don't know why I felt the need to post this other than looking at some of the banter going back and forth on the site. I am pretty sure that some posters are saying "I remember a time" when we drafted Russell Wilson and got that running back from Buffalo that was hard to tackle. I am not saying I don't want more fans but some people who are new to the game don't deal with adversity very well.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I appreciate the perspective. These days every minute – every second – is broken down, analyzed, and discussed ad nauseam on 24-hour TV and radio, as well as churned through the fantasy football wringer, and plastered everywhere on social media. We take a microscope to the leaves on the branches of the trees. Thanks for reminding us what the forest looks like.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Well to be fair it's hard to compare 1995 to 2014 in terms of merchandise.

I'm sure if the Seahawks won the Super Bowl in 1995 and you lived in Kentucky, it'd still be a struggle finding Seahawks merchandise.

Today, You can be a Jaguars fan in Oregon and getting the latest and greatest Jaguars jacket is one click away and will be at your door step tomorrow (with the goat Amazon prime)

daveca5150

Reaction score
Reference to Bo Jackson made me smile. I had a Boz poster in my room when I was a kid. I got it when John L. And Kenny Easley were signing posters at a car dealership.

Thanks for posting

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Boz really didn't get "run over". It was more of a "pushed back".

Plus I don't know anyone that could have stopped Bo Jackson running at them with a head of steam.

And yes I had a "Land of Boz" poster.

TwelvesRealm

Reaction score
Thank's for the post... I'm a life long fan of the Hawks since the start of this team. Win or loose that will never change. Love the fact that we have something special going on with this team. Hopefully the issues can get fixed so the D and offense can get back to winning games. I'm optimistic that they can. Football is a tough sport and the Hawks are fighting through some diversity at the moment. It happens to all teams. Looking forward to are next game and a Win to pick up are spirits.

idahohawk

Reaction score
Boz got trucked.

Tech Worlds":10emzfeh said:
Boz really didn't get "run over". It was more of a "pushed back".

Plus I don't know anyone that could have stopped Bo Jackson running at them with a head of steam.

And yes I had a "Land of Boz" poster.

idahohawk

Reaction score
Spot on. Enjoy the ride fellow 12s. Take a deep breath and enjoy the ride!

storm74":tfqvs70f said:
I was excited to get a broken down Franco Harris. I was elated to get Norman Hand. I jumped for joy when we signed Nate Odoms. I was thrilled to get Percy Harvin. None of those free agents had much impact and were extremely disappointing.

For all of the crappy free agents we have got in the past, we also hit on Julian Peterson, Chad Brown, Bobby Engram, and Ricky Watters.

I suffered through an unhappy Galloway, a lack of franchise tag for a Hall of fame guard in Hutchinson, and a plethora of QB's that were absolutely horrible.

The first Seahawk game I went to was the Monday Night Game when Bo Jackson ran for a million miles and ran over Bosworth. I saw the last game in the Kingdome when Kitna fumbled at the end of game and Warren Sapp crawled around on the turf showing every seahawk fan in the building that he had the ball. A lot of us watched the Superbowl in 2005 and saw one of the most one-sided officiating in the history of the NFL.

Seahawk fans, we have had our ups and downs. For the new fans on the block, we are not going to win 10 superbowls in a row. We are going to have good seasons and bad seasons. We are going to have good drafts and bad. We are going to hit on some free-agents and whiff on others.

I am extremely happy to be relevant. I am happy people love us and hate us. I like being able to go into a sports store and find a variety of Seahawks gear. It didn't used to be this way. Does anyone remember getting Christmas Catalogs only to find that you didn't even have the option to buy anything Seahawks related in the NFL section?

We just won a superbowl and we have hit our first rough patch. But the future is brighter than the past has ever been for this franchise. Enjoy the ride.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Don't forget about Jerry Rice and his number #80. One of the bigger mistakes during the history of this franchise.

253hawk

Reaction score
Don't forget this guy. 11 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and a TD his first year here...when he was 34 years old.

(excuse the center trying to goatse)
960x540

OP
OP
bevellisthedevil

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Absolutely, obviously missing some Seahawks from the past. Also forgot that TEZ was DPOY on a 2-14 team.

NYCoug

Reaction score
My buddy and I laughed about this last year. We were amazed by the thought that there was going to be a whole generation of people, born in the last few years, that will grow up only having known the Seahawks as perennial contenders, Super Bowl champs, etc. That's insane to me given this team's history! I guess this extend's to the bandwagoners that have jumped on since the beginning of 2013 as well. These people can not, and will never, understand what the OP is talking about. Excellent post storm, I love it, but there's gonna be a ton of phonies who read that and just gloss over it and say "If Watters was anything like that bum Walters, he sucked!!!" That's just how this new generation is, there's very little regard for history and little to no room for fore sight. It's all about right now for most people nowadays. I love the post though, and thanks for the levity. Just know that there's probably gonna be some tool who ruins the thread by talking about how the team has to win forever and it'll all probably be misspelled too, or in caps lock...

chawx

Reaction score
Remember how for my entire 34-years on this planet, I have been a transplant Seahawks fan living in Utah (Broncos/SF country) and how I have endured decades of ridicule and disrespect for my love of the Seahawks. Never being able to go ANYWHERE in town for Seahawks gear and only ever seeing something with a Seahawk logo on it when we would make the trip to Lacy, WA to visit family.

Remember how my entire childhood I was asked, "What's a Seahawk? Why does their logo look like a crying parrot? Why don't you like the Cowboys?" and through High School, "Dump those Seahawks, man. They'll always suck. How about the Broncos? They're always good!" and then through my adult life, "Seahawks fan huh? Ha! I thought those were like Bigfoot... mythical creatures only seen by people in the NW..."

Remember when Hasselbeck raised that trophy and how I cried my eyes out after the Carolina win that sent us to our first Super Bowl? FINALLY! People would have to take notice! People would have to shout from across the mall or at the grocery store... "Hey man! Go Seattle!" or "Seahawks!"

Remember when we got hosed? How brutal it was to see your QB's face and the teams entire demeanor when positive play after positive play was followed up with a Bill Leavy announcement of, "Holding..." or "Pass Interference..." or "Illegal Block Below the Waist... Number 8" ... wait? what? He was %@#)%( tackling the guy! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.... *silence*

Remember the inevitable window on our success being slammed shut? Remember all the scrubs we'd drafted with high picks? Remember the can't-miss Aaron Curry? Remember Holmgren making way for Jim Mora Jr. to come grace us with his brilliance and his throwing under the bus of kickers? Remember how in 2009-10, after we dumped Mora, how we were going to be the most terrible team in football for the next 20-30 years?

Then....Pete Carroll.

I'm not a big college football buff (GO UTES!), but I knew Pete Carroll and USC. I knew people were saying what a joke it was we were going to take this guy. And how he sh*t all over USC and ruined an amazing program and how he'd do the same to us...IF we were lucky.

The bandwagoners know the rest of this story, so fast-forward to today. We trade a guy our man Pete coveted from day one! Not NFL day one, but college day one. He had followed this guy from the beginning, from his high school days. And he finally had him—and then he had to drop him. Internal strife and stories abound, truths? lies? We'll never know. It will always be he said/she said drama. No one will take full blame for the Harvin failure. And now, 2 days after a gut-shot inter-division loss where some trickery and deception played against our biggest strength (discipline) ... we sit here to start our "repeat" campaign at .500 (3-3)

We have a long way still to go this season, but like our savior QB says, "What matters is what's in front of us now." The Panthers in Carolina. Must win? Not yet. Much needed win? DEFINITELY.

But, hey... we're in the good times. Have some perspective. Bandwagoners are bandwagoners. They'll jump off and jump on as they see fit. Us true blue 12s... (sorry, Seattle Seahawks fans!) know about true perspective—We've seen some serious sh*t, man! And many of us suffer PTSISD (Post-Truamatic-Seahawk-Induced-Stress-Disorder) because of it. Will our faith in the Seahawks waver, after being media darlings and Super Bowl champs for the first time in forever the past 8 1/2 months since February 1st at about 7:00pm my time?

I won't.

I'm in. I've been in! I'M ALWAYS IN! WIN, LOSE, or DRAW! I will NEVER fade on my team!

We have the heartbeat of Champions! And we dumped a guy looking to bring it down to his level of weakness...

But, Pete, JS, and Russell Wilson, BEEEAST!, ET, Sherm, Kam, ADB, the core of this team are all still here. We are a force! The NFL isn't ready for us! We're going to get rolling here and we're going to stomp the ever-loving SH*T out of this league!!! Brace yourself fellas, the ride is never fun when there's no twists, turns, or bumps along the way... enjoy the journey.

and....

GO HAWKS! FOREVER!

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
All the recent events will be a lot of fun to look back on and laugh at in the years to come. Thanks for Bringing up Franco Harris. I don't think Harvin even holds a candle to how worthless Franco was when he was here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
storm74":7iz6hk4g said:
. But the future is brighter than the past has ever been for this franchise. Enjoy the ride.

We just won the SB, so hard to say the future is brighter than literally just having won the SB.

Here's the thing with the Pete and John era, their "system" of staying competitive for a long stretch instead of being a one and done SB champ is predicated on continuing to mine gold from the draft to replace expensive contracts..........and sorry but the last two drafts have produced almost zero starters..........let alone stars.

That's been our biggest problem this year, the guys who are stepping in to replace lost free agents and injured players are not playing well enough to keep this train rolling in the right direction.

Doesn't mean I've lost faith in Pete and John, absolutely not. Just contradicting your statement that the future is brighter than last year. It might not be unless our FO can get back to doing a better job than every other team in mining and molding talent.

NJlargent

Reaction score
The original post was a great post. I remember getting a Land of Boz poster for Christmas and thinking it was the greatest thing ever and hanging it in my room before I opened the rest of my gifts. I don't remember the actual poster except for Boz standing in the road and the rock saying there is no place like dome. I think the scarecrow was all jacked up on the side of the road too. I also got a Boz haircut when I was a kid and spent time arguing he was better than Lawrence Taylor with all my friends (despite him not actually having played yet).

But the best reference was the Christmas catalogue. I do remember having to get the can opener or the pen because the cool stuff did not come in Seahawks logo. I thought that was just because I lived so far from Seattle. I also knew I was screwed when it said next to the merchandise "Most NFL teams available."

Anyway, it was a good post and keeps it all in perspective. I used to spend countless hours figuring out wild card scenarios when we were in the AFC and remember needing us to win and 4 other teams to lose. I also remember needing Pitt to beat the Oilers one night to get us in and Houston came out and busted them and the game was over at halftime and I was upstairs throwing things. I also remember losing to the Icky Woods Bengals and knowing it was over at 21-13 because there was no 2 point conversion. Anyway, 3-3 used to be a record I was ecstatic about so it was good to revisit the roots.

Well this was a pointless post but made me feel better. Thanks .Net for being goo therapy today.