one positive thing

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Schneider is going to have 11 picks if my math is correct. Thats without having to trade down at all.

endzorn

Reaction score
I hope this coming draft doesn't end up like the last two.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2h1ejpa5 said:
So you're saying there's a chance he could draft a LT that actually manages to stay healthy? :sarcasm_off:

Whoa whoa whoa let's not get greedy here.

A

Anonymous

How about a LT that isn't a guaranteed holding or false start penalty each and every game? Is that too greedy as well?

mjwhitay

Reaction score
endzorn":7feqqmi2 said:
I hope this coming draft doesn't end up like the last two.

yeah, since we know exactly what we're getting from all those players already. What a joke of a couple of drafts. Not one good player. Jeez, they couldn't even get on the field last year!!!! He just got lucky on all the drafts before. NONE of these guys can play. We've played 5 games, which is MORE THAN ENOUGH time to evaluate rookies!!!!! I don't even know why they keep these scouts and GM after these two draft classes.

if I put as many eye rolling icons on this page as it would take to emphasize how silly this statement above is, it would take up the entire internet.

hawk45

Reaction score
I hope they've learned their lesson that there are limitations to Pete being able to turn turds into gold. Make sure your prospects can read a playbook (michael) and don't assume you can wave off character concerns.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Let's be real. Schneiders last two drafts have been God awful.

Sac

Reaction score
Steve2222":3qc8hdly said:
We don't know that.

What we know is that his picks haven't gotten on the field much because of the guys in front of them on the depth chart.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
With that many picks let's hope they draft some quality o-line and some tall receivers with good hands that can go up and get a ball.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Steve2222":1qb2v7np said:

I feel like Schneider's best picks are when he is drafting for need.

Wilson, Wagner, Okung, Thomas were all "need" picks. We had holes at those positions and we drafted a player to fill the void. It doesn't always work, I would say Carpenter was a need pick because they started him right away. Guys like Kam and Sherman didn't start right away, but they were needed depth in the secondary that has to have a specific type of players to work. We didn't have those players, so Kam and Sherman were drafted to help fill that need after some development.

But it's when JS is drafting luxury picks that he seems to struggle. They take risks on guys and they don't pan out. I feel like the last 2 drafts have consisted mostly of luxury picks, at least in the first few rounds. Then JS is filling needs in the later rounds. And that is really hurting him. It needs to be switched to like it was his first couple drafts: get the needed players first and the luxury in the later rounds.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1eo26jo2 said:
Steve2222":1eo26jo2 said:

I feel like Schneider's best picks are when he is drafting for need.

Wilson, Wagner, Okung, Thomas were all "need" picks. We had holes at those positions and we drafted a player to fill the void. It doesn't always work, I would say Carpenter was a need pick because they started him right away. Guys like Kam and Sherman didn't start right away, but they were needed depth in the secondary that has to have a specific type of players to work. We didn't have those players, so Kam and Sherman were drafted to help fill that need after some development.

But it's when JS is drafting luxury picks that he seems to struggle. They take risks on guys and they don't pan out. I feel like the last 2 drafts have consisted mostly of luxury picks, at least in the first few rounds. Then JS is filling needs in the later rounds. And that is really hurting him. It needs to be switched to like it was his first couple drafts: get the needed players first and the luxury in the later rounds.
Then it's a good thing that we really NEED some quality O-line and NEED competitive D-linemen!

Basis4day

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":36umtni5 said:
Steve2222":36umtni5 said:
We don't know that.

What we know is that his picks haven't gotten on the field much because of the guys in front of them on the depth chart.

Where are all these drafted players supposed to play? When your team sucks, like the Hawks did when PC/JS took over, there are plenty of positions to fill. When your team is a contender or has won the Superbowl as was the case during our last two drafts, there are less places to put players and you pick later in the draft.

Not every player in the draft is going to be an all-pro, and most players only last 3 years in the league at most.

TCHawkfan

Reaction score
The draft is a crap shoot. Go look at #1 picks since PeyPey in 1998. The only one who has really done much is little brother (I hate typing that!). Clowney? Erik Fisher? Bradford? Demarcus Russell? NO ONE knows how draftees will perform! Some guys just aren't capable of playing in the NFL, some can't stay healthy and some get ruined by the team that drafts them.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
TCHawkfan":1h8gdrsf said:
The draft is a crap shoot. Go look at #1 picks since PeyPey in 1998. The only one who has really done much is little brother (I hate typing that!). Clowney? Erik Fisher? Bradford? Demarcus Russell? NO ONE knows how draftees will perform! Some guys just aren't capable of playing in the NFL, some can't stay healthy and some get ruined by the team that drafts them.

This really isn't true. If you look statistically over time, instead of singular cases -- the quality of players (years in league, pro bowls, resigned for second contract) really does drop off in a pretty smooth curve.

Top 15 picks are about twice as likely to be considered successful as the next 45. Which is about 50-60% more likely to be successful as the next 75.

Crap shoot implies risk free. There is always elements of risk in the draft. These are people. And injuries are a random risk of the game. If one's standard for the draft is a sure thing, then I'd say the issue isn't with the draft but with the expectation.

As it pertains to #1 overall -- it's probably worth noting that those teams are just bereft of talent to begin with. Broken in ways just one player can't turn around on his own. And it's also worth noting that teams that pick that early tend to be bad organizations to begin with. Run/coached poorly, or cheaply and likely with severe limitations in their ability to recognize talent to begin with.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TCHawkfan":3e2342b1 said:

Of course the draft is a crap shoot, but it's one of the big reasons, if not THE biggest reason to our success since Pete and John have been here..........and it's now why we're struggling.

First three drafts, amazing success. Last two, not so much.

nsport

Reaction score
I think you have to look at best case for each draft. While they are in their rookie contracts, you hope that out of 7 rounds you find 4-5 guys that stick. Top round guys you hope will start, bottom rounds you hope will play special teams. I think the Hawks have done a good job at that. When you get a lower round guy that starts (best example for me is Sweezy who I think is a top-notch lineman) then you hit the jackpot.