Harvin compensation: 6th round pick that can become a 4th

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
According to John Clayton. It isn't the 2nd-4th that was rumored.

Clearly the team want to get rid of him sooner than later.

From twitter: Seahawks team source: "It was time for a change. It's that simple. We got a good deal. He's happy, we're happy."

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
In B4 further meltdown.

I couldn't care less. He's gone, I trust that pick will produce a player that wants to be here more than him.

Rob12

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. Even without a pick coming back, this move is addition by subtraction.

hawk45

Reaction score
We got a good deal, both sides happy. It's a little too soon for me for that sugar. Say time for a change and leave it at that but don't ask me to swallow that everything turned out great with a straight face.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Interesting, the Jets got Percy Harvin for at most a fourth rounder.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks gave up First, Third, and Seventh Round picks and paid Harvin $18 million in signing bonus and additional salary-- $9 million of that will be dead money with much of it felt next season.

Harvin's cap hit no longer looks as bloated once you remove the prorated signing bonus and potential dead money if they decide to cut him after this season. There's no risk for them because they can cut him after this year without a dead money hit. Doubt they could have done better with a 4th Rounder. Looks like an amazing deal for the Jets and whomever their next head coach will be.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3anf0zl3 said:

Meanwhile, the Seahawks gave up First, Third, and Seventh Round picks and paid Harvin $18 million in signing bonus and additional salary-- $9 million of that will be dead money with much of it felt next season.

Harvin's cap hit no longer looks as bloated once you remove the prorated signing bonus and potential dead money if they decide to cut him after this season. Looks like an amazing deal for the Jets and whomever their next head coach will be.

It's in all honesty a very good deal for the Jets. They pay him for this season and if he doesn't work out, all they lose is a 6th with no dead money when they cut him. If they keep him on the team...well that's another thing, but if he does make it for year 2, I'll assume that he panned out. Their team is 1-6, coach on hot seat, GM on hot seat, not much worse can happen, but we'll see. I see it as a 9 game test trial.

mikeak

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1bwarh34 said:
hawknation2014":1bwarh34 said:

Harvin's cap hit no longer looks as bloated once you remove the prorated signing bonus and potential dead money if they decide to cut him after this season. Looks like an amazing deal for the Jets and whomever their next head coach will be.

It's in all honesty a very good deal for the Jets. They pay him for this season and if he doesn't work out, all they lose is a 6th with no dead money when they cut him. If they keep him on the team...well that's another thing, but if he does make it for year 2, I'll assume that he panned out. Their team is 1-6, coach on hot seat, GM on hot seat, not much worse can happen, but we'll see. I see it as a 9 game test trial.

You could have quoted me :)

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":bk4n9amx said:

Harvin's cap hit no longer looks as bloated once you remove the prorated signing bonus and potential dead money if they decide to cut him after this season. There's no risk for them because they can cut him after this year without a dead money hit. Doubt they could have done better with a 4th Rounder. Looks like an amazing deal for the Jets and whomever their next head coach will be.

We were the 2nd team that gave him a huge contract. He's now a problem player on his third team with a bloated salary. The fact we got someone to take him off our hands at all is a huge win.

The deals were never going to be close. There were probably less than 3 teams in the league able to even assume his salary.

The Harvin deal really had immense ramifications for us. Not only losing the three picks, which thus far haven't turned into a bonanza of talent for Minnesota. It's the resulting salary cap casualties that we didn't resign because of Harvin's contract.

But likewise, the benefits of this trade is more than just the 6th to 4th round pick in return. We will be able to retain talent that otherwise we'd be obligated to let get away because his contract is not on the books. And while we'll endure a big dead money hit next year -- ultimately we'll be around 6 million in the black in his non guaranteed portion of his 2015 salary.

There is no value in wringing our hands about the sunk cost to acquire Harvin. That price was paid. It's done. Seattle has done extremely well to get out from under a high risk/reward move that failed. Going forward, it's going to result in our being better able to retain UFA talent in 2015.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Hawks also contacted Bucs, Browns and Bengals (maybe they were working their way up the alphabet?) It says a lot if this is all we could get...either that or JS is a big ol softy when it comes to negotiating

Atradees

Reaction score
I had to fix this cool picture I found on the Interweb.

I cant believe the market for Harvin was so cold. Nobody wanted to give us anything? A sixth.....are you kidding me! Unless the free world didnt want the headache.

Harvin zpsab20c756

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Even though it's really low, a 6th is still better than nothing. Sounds like the Hawks were seriously considering just cutting him outright.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
In my experience, WRs are many times the most out-of-control players on a team.

Obviously, not all receivers are cancerous prima donnas whose inability to control their outbursts ends up hurting their careers. But that label does apply to many receivers-- at a seemingly higher rate than any other position.

Anyone care to speculate on why that is? Is it the "give me the ball more" mentality that they need to have to get to this level? Is it the inordinately hard hits to the head? (I'm joking . . . kind of.)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawknation2014":163rfa9i said:
In my experience, WRs are many times the most out-of-control players on a team.

Obviously, that is not true of all receivers. But it does apply to many receivers-- at a seemingly higher rate than any other position.

Anyone care to speculate on why that is? Is it the "give me the ball more" mentality that they need to have to get to this level? Is it the inordinately hard hits to the head? (I'm joking . . . kind of.)
Because a great deal of their game is one on one with DBs so their focus is often on themselves. Also perhaps because many are elite athletes and have been coddled for years .
Don't know for sure, just guesses here.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
entropyrulesall":3ocitgip said:
According to John Clayton. It isn't the 2nd-4th that was rumored.

Clearly the team want to get rid of him sooner than later.

From twitter: Seahawks team source: "It was time for a change. It's that simple. We got a good deal. He's happy, we're happy."
It wasn't a good deal in compensation you are getting back though. Yes it saves money and clear cap space which is great, but it's very little coming back.

sturg78

Reaction score
If it is true as rumored that he refused to go back into the game against Dallas then I would have traded him for a washing machine. All that talent isn't worth a damn if it's not on the field. Even less if it is ruining the chemistry on the sidelines.