Coming Attractions?: Richardson and Norwood Highlights

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Like most of you, the Harvin deal caught me totally off guard (what a testament to this organization's ability to keep things in house) ... but as the stories continue to surface, it's clear why this had to be. I'm one who when moves like this happen tends to quickly turn the page and begin to ask the question, "OK, what's next?"

I'd watched these highlight reels back in April around draft time ... and I guess I personally needed to watch them again just for therapy and as a reminder to me of just what this team still has in the stable. If you're like me and have forgotten, here is a reminder of what the Hawks have in Paul Richardson and Kevin Norwood.

There are a lot of amazing highlights in both of these clips which underscore that in Richardson and Norwood, the Seahawks actually have quite a bit of untapped potential at the WR position ...

Paul Richardson Highlights ...
[youtube]BnlKFbW7fZw[/youtube]

Positives: Very good speed (ran a 4.33 at the combine) and acceleration after the catch, has some shiftiness and change of direction (nowhere near Golden Tate levels though), excellent leaping ability (38" vertical), can adjust his body well to poorly thrown balls. Potential deep threat.

Negatives: Has a bit of a slight build, so needs to bulk up some. Could get jammed at the line of scrimmage by more physical corners. Could possibly get out-muscled by more physical DB's on jump balls.

Kevin Norwood (and Mike Evans) Highlights ...
[youtube]nxTg_8_kViQ[/youtube]

Another highlight reel on Kevin Norwood that's on the Patriots site ...
http://www.patriots.com/media-cente...-Alabama/1c0ca833-4358-4413-b94c-49e9c46f5c01

Positives: At 6'2" 200Lbs, is solidly built and is a strong receiver. Has excellent hands and good leaping ability. Makes tough catches in tight coverage. Has good overall football instincts, finds holes in coverage well, and works to get open. Looks to be a Possession receiver in the Bobby Engram mold. The coaching staff at Alabama absolutely loved this kid.

Negatives: Doesn't have breakaway speed and has difficulty at times separating himself from tight coverage. Has had issues breaking tackles in the past.

If Condotta is right, Richardson and Norwood could see action tomorrow. Norwood has been healthy for some time now, but of course hasn't been able to get on the field because of the numbers crunch. Now that Percy is gone, I'm hoping that both of these guys are active and that we get a chance to see what they can actually do on an NFL field.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
An interesting thought occurred to me as I've been contemplating how the Hawks might use Richardson. Perhaps those who were at Seahawks training camp and remember can comment on this -- how exactly were the Hawks using Richardson during those times that he was out there. Were they using him more outside ... or in the slot?

I ask that because Paul Richardson is a bit of an enigma. He has lightning speed (4.33 at the combine and 4.28 during Pre-draft workouts -- so he can fly) ... so you'd think that naturally you'd line him up on the outside and let 'er rip down the field. However, being that he checks in at only around 180 lbs, the bigger, more physical corners in the NFL (who usually line up out there) will just re-route him. He might have a harder time getting off press coverage.

Putting him in the slot would seem like a natural solution, as you generally don't get a whole lot of physical CB's who play there. Those DB's tend to be more of your shiftier types ... as do the receivers that play in the slot. And that's the dilemma. While Richardson does have some shiftiness and juke ability, I would say it's nowhere near to the level of a Golden Tate and some of the better slot receivers in the league. I'm not entirely sure he could get the kind of separation he'd need there either because of that.

You'd obviously love to take advantage of that speed ... get the ball to him out in space ... and watch what happens with those afterburners. I'm just curious as to how it appeared Bevell and the Seahawks were using him this past training camp.

Any thoughts/observations guys?

Anthony!

Reaction score
I think Norwood is going to be RWs Favorite target quickly, runs a 4.4 6-2 with 7 foot wingspan, uses his body well, runs great routes and catches everything

drdiags

Reaction score
For whatever reason, NFL QBs are not quick to trust WRs. For our current team, I think Wilson trusts Baldwin, Kearse, Walters and Lockette though not sure it is absolute. I know some are hoping to see Richardson and Norwood take off, I just have my doubts. I gather the level of precision required from both a WR and QB is such that it isn't as easy as run here and I will put it up.

I hope this post has the usual result and that is reality is 180 degrees from it. Would love to see both have immediate impact. But that is the homer in me.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Percy was doggin' it in the Dallas game. On kick off, he ran strait ahead in to tackles when there was an open lane to the right. And his runs were really weak, like he was half heartedly playing.

We won't see that type of play from Richardson and Norwood. I believe these two players have talent and could become better than anyone that we currently have on the team, once they get done plays under their belt.

Getting rid of Harkin will give them the opportunity to show what they can do.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":cxovuo0k said:
reminds me of Boldin a little bit.

With the way he plays ... yeah, he certainly does a little bit. As I was writing my first post I was thinking that as well. I don't see Norwood as being quite as physical as Boldin, but he does kind of strike me as being in that mold.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2z3mz3wz said:
reminds me of Boldin a little bit.

If Boldin had ever run a 4.4, which he hasn't. Boldin was a 4.6 at the combine. He's also more physical than Norwood, but there are parallels.